It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq Uncensored: A Photo Exhibition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Photos and documentaries of seven independent photographers and filmmakers have worked exclusively in Iraq documenting US troops and Iraqi civilians, resistance fighters and child laborers, imprisoned women and incarcerated youths.

They are:

Kael Alford

Thorne Anderson

Andrew Berends

Rita Leistner

James Longley

Phillip Robertson

Geert van Kesteren

Here is some photos:

And here is the Link:
Iraq Uncensored

[edit on 15/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Those pictures are probably the worst photos I've ever seen. They convey no emotion or ideas whatsoever. I love the one of the blurry guy!

Seriously I take better pictures with a disposable 35mm.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Photos and documentaries of seven independent photographers and filmmakers have worked exclusively in Iraq documenting US troops and ... imprisoned women

If you'd bothered to read the captions associated with these pics, you'd realize these aren't imprisoned women, they're women lining up for cooking gas. Other than this there are no images that would be construed as 'imprisoned women'

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Souljah, THANK YOU!

I just wanted to thank you for posting these pics. Pics like these are what the people of the world need to see. People must see the destruction the insurgents are causing in Iraq. If you find more pics of the damage and utter destruction these terrorists and insurgents cause, please post those as well.

Thanks again Souljah.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

You have voted skippytjc for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Great response

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
could you include pictures of the car-bombing of a funeral that happened a few weeks back ? You know the old trick, you kill someone , then car-bomb the funeral...oh wait, thats violence against Iraqi's BY Iraqi's, that doesn't serve your agenda.....

[edit on 16-5-2005 by syrinx high priest]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
what agenda exactly do you think these pictures serve on the site?
They are pretty varied.
if looked at objectively they are what they are just pictures
and if anyone you should raving about an agenda to after you've actually looked at them, it should be the 7 photographers, who just happen to have the same agenda im sure.
thanks souljah for the photos. a good mixed perspective of iraq

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
great photos Souljah, very unbias photos. make sure to not post any pictures of the victims who were killed by the "freedom fighters'. it be very embarrasing for the jihadists.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well said Skippy!

Although i did have to read your post twice to be sure of what you said.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
OK.

First - I have selected these five photos from a wide selection of 7 Artists. They represent a certain view, I guess some people are not familiar with.

Have you guys even checked the Other photos on the link I have posted, or is your critique aimed only at mine Selection?

Secondly - These seven people have a diffrent Camera, and a diffrent Eye that looks thru the Lens. Apparently I should have posted pictures like this, in order to satisfy the entire public.

Is that Better?

Thirdly - Have some RESPECT for these Seven people that have Risked their own Lives, and have despite all the Danger gone to Iraq only to bring you these Images.

For Example:

Thorne Anderson
Thorne began his work in Iraq in October 2002, photographing the impact of UN sanctions on the lives of ordinary Iraqis. He has spent 10 months in Iraq and, on his most recent trip, crossed the font line in Najaf with Phillip Robertson to spend three days in the besieged Imam Ali shrine with fighters of the Medhi Militia as they battled against the overwhelming firepower of U.S. forces.

Is the only thing you can do talk about their "agenda", even BEFORE you took a look at their Photos?

Out of EIGHT people that have replayed in this thread, I find only one Sane Answer - And guess what, skippytjc, its not you.

And skippytjc, most of the "terrible destruction" you see on this photos, was done by American Smart Bombs.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I respect the photographers. You always fail to mention the violence being carried out by non-americans. How can you possiblt not be outraged by the funeral that was car-bombed ? A FUNERAL FOR SOMEONE THEY KILLED !!!

thats where you lose credibility to me. You should have been all over that. Not a peep from you that week. Why not ? Why wasn't that outrageous to you ?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I respect the photographers. You always fail to mention the violence being carried out by non-americans. How can you possiblt not be outraged by the funeral that was car-bombed ? A FUNERAL FOR SOMEONE THEY KILLED !!!

thats where you lose credibility to me. You should have been all over that. Not a peep from you that week. Why not ? Why wasn't that outrageous to you ?

This is about these Seven Photographers and their virtual Exhibition.

The Funeral Bombing is not at the Trial here - but since you opened it up. Would there be "Funeral Bombings" if the US Forces would not Occupy Iraq?

You Fight Fire with Fire, this is the Result.

I am NOT happy with it, and I do not support it - but its the Effect of USA Invasion of Iraq, and they are the Primary Cause to that.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

This is about these Seven Photographers and their virtual Exhibition.

The Funeral Bombing is not at the Trial here - but since you opened it up. Would there be "Funeral Bombings" if the US Forces would not Occupy Iraq?

You Fight Fire with Fire, this is the Result.

I am NOT happy with it, and I do not support it - but its the Effect of USA Invasion of Iraq, and they are the Primary Cause to that.

Primary cause
the terrorists have a choice between bombing American troops and deciding to crash into a Shiite mosque and blowing it up, they decided to crash into a funeral and kill the mourners we didnt force them to go into a crowd of mourners, the terrorists chose to commit martyrdom on the Muslim mourners. u think they could have at least let them finish mourning and then crash into the crowd and press the button wen they are about to leave.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
u think they could have at least let them finish mourning and then crash into the crowd and press the button wen they are about to leave.

Is it any "better" if they bomb a Wedding?

US Bombing Raids on Afganistan Wedding Killing at least 40 people and hurting over 100.

The US military admits that ‘it dropped bombs in southern Afghanistan after an aerial patrol came under attack from artillery fire’, but claims that ‘one of the bombs was “errant”’, accidentally hitting the wedding party. ‘There are no Taliban or al-Qaeda or Arabs here. These people were all civilians, women and children’, says one of the survivors, asking ‘so why did they bomb us?’.

Guardian Unlimited

Woops, I guess - we didnt aim at the Wedding.

Again - the "Funeral Bombing" is NOT the topic of the thread; if you want to discuss it, open a new thread and lets talk there.

This is about these Seven Photographers and their Virtual Photo Exhibition.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I still can't beleive how bad these photos are! Look at the photos the NYT and others took on 9/11. Heck, I can show you some photos I took of football games that were better and conveyed mor emotion.

The one photo of the Marine in Fallujah smoking a marlboro was the best one yet.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lukethedrifter
The one photo of the Marine in Fallujah smoking a marlboro was the best one yet.

I knew that when I am going to mention Fallujah - You are going to mention The Fallujah Malboro Marine.

I must admit - its a very expressive picture.

Whats behind it? Whats the Story?

You can call it: Marlboro Man Kicks Butt in Fallujah.

Or: Smokin'.

The Photo quickly became very Iconic, and sparked alot of hot and burning debates.

Here is one view:

In truth, the image just feels iconic because it is so laughably derivative: it's a straight-up rip-off of the most powerful icon in American advertising (the Marlboro man), which in turn imitated the brightest star ever created by Hollywood - John Wayne - who was himself channeling America's most powerful founding myth, the cowboy on the rugged frontier. It's like a song you feel you've heard a thousand times before - because you have.

It is said that a Picture speaks more then a Thousand words - well then a Very Good Picture can speak more then 100 - thousand words.

Alot of meanings - alot of opinions.

And you know whats best about this Photo?

...best of all in the Marlboro man in Fallujah, and the surreal debates that swirl around him. Genuine impunity breeds a kind of delusional decadence, and this is its face: a nation bickering about smoking while Iraq burns.

In the End - Smoking is the least of our worries.

source:
JustAboveSunset Magazine

[edit on 16/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Great photography. From an artistic point-of-view, there are about 15 that really stand out to me. From a storytelling point-of-view, almost all are good.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Great photography. From an artistic point-of-view, there are about 15 that really stand out to me. From a storytelling point-of-view, almost all are good.

Artistic? Come on. The only good ones are the one with the black guy just because of the color of the coke can and the blue sky.

You are in Iraq. Operation Matidor is not that far away. If they had any balls, they would take pictures of guys getting their faces blown off and explosions. I have not yet seen a gunshot wound or the effects of an explosion actually portrayed. The best description I can think of is washing men away with a giant sharp steel brillo pad.

These pictures don't look real, they are really cliched, and could be done much better.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I'm sorry I just saw the link. I looked through them and some of them are really good.

I'm retarded

new topics

join