It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you and atheist and why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm just asking to see if people believe more in a 'greater' being or are you like me an atheist and either way why?

I'm an atheist and the reason is everything in science has been proved but everyhting in Christainity makes no sense and could never happen.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
No, because I doubt my mind could actually prove that nothing greater is out there, I feel it inside of me, I don't know what it is to be honest, but I feel we're all connected to something greater. When I was 16 or so I felt I was atheist, felt as though the christian God is a myth and that if he did exist why had he forsaken me?

Then I got older and my views changed again, I am not sure of what you'd catagorize my beliefs as, however I believe a greater force than I can phantom is responsible for the creation of this reality I've come to know. I don't believe that there is any type of hell. That you return to "God" when you pass on and that if there was such a hell, it's not so much as firery pit of suffering but, it's the end, you die, blackness, might've well never existed.

Yet I might appear crazy to others but the thing is I don't care, I mean whatever works for you go with it I say. I don't feel any religion is less valid than any other, however fanatics are dangerous and annoying as it gets.

As far as Christianity goes, and well a lot of relgion and thier text, I feel a lot of it is perhaps extraterrestial encounters. I do believe in a "greater being"

like I said I just feel it inside me of letting me know. delusion illusion allusion, it doesn't matter we each get to live our lives the way we want, I'm not going to tell someone they are wrong and that their beliefs are wrong, it's just extremist that grate on my nerves or those that try to force their religious views down my throat or tell me I'm going to rot in hell. When really they don't need to worry about me, I'll do just fine and if I end up being wrong and I do get to go to a place to suffer for eternity which was created by an all loving being then I guess I get what I deserve?

If that is where my life leads me then so be it, I am only a man, how could a "God" expect me to be anything different?

edit for typos

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenroon
I'm just asking to see if people believe more in a 'greater' being or are you like me an atheist and either way why?

This is typically a negative view of Atheism, that somehow man is this great stand alone entity above all else. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's actualy quite a humble perspective of one's own irrelevance and the irrelevance of any God should one exist. It's not nearly as proud or centrist as one claiming the specialness of purposeful creation or a personal relationship with a metaphysical creator.

An honest atheist is actually still quite agnostic on the literal existence of God, just operating on a philosphy that no further futility and search is required.

I'm an atheist and the reason is everything in science has been proved but everyhting in Christainity makes no sense and could never happen.

That's a terrible reason to be an atheist IMO. What does science have to do with religion? It's not a competition except among those in bad faith.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I don't believe in a 'greater' energy, I just believe in energy.. if Einstein is right and energy can't die I'll get to keep existing [though I don't know if I'd be aware of it].. if not, I won't exist anymore so I won't be around to care.
The concept of 'god' also implies creator.. I do not think the universe required one. I can't exactly say how it [this one- could be several] came into existence. The big bang.. I can't be certain what the trigger was, whether it' was the lucka band theory or an impoding black hole- It just makes more sense to me saying 'I don't know but..' rather than what seems to be a lazy 'God dunnit'

[edit on 15-5-2005 by riley]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Im an atheist. Im more of a "I need proof" kinda guy. Even though I believe in Aliens and the like. I just never felt like there was an all powerful being watching over me or was ever there. I have, however, had feelings of a being watching over me at times (like when this crazy idiot was shooting at me and my friends saying we were on his land), but it wasnt an all powerful all knowing feeling. Which led me to believe in my own little theory. Death isnt death, per se'. Its just ascending to a higher plain of existence, NOT heaven. Once we're there we may or may not know more or be anymore powerful, but we will be able to experience much more. Life on this planet is meant to prepare us for that, while our bodies die our mind goes to the next plain. I do not believe in creationism by any higher power, God, Allah, Ganesh, wtvr the hell your god is.

Just live a good life, even if we're wrong about god. I cant see god, whos described as all powerful and knowing, casting a person into eternal damnation and pitchforks up the ass, over a feel measly sins that occured in what must have seemed like a second to him.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Im an atheist. Im more of a "I need proof" kinda guy. Even though I believe in Aliens and the like. I just never felt like there was an all powerful being watching over me or was ever there. I have, however, had feelings of a being watching over me at times (like when this crazy idiot was shooting at me and my friends saying we were on his land), but it wasnt an all powerful all knowing feeling. Which led me to believe in my own little theory. Death isnt death, per se'. Its just ascending to a higher plain of existence, NOT heaven. Once we're there we may or may not know more or be anymore powerful, but we will be able to experience much more. Life on this planet is meant to prepare us for that, while our bodies die our mind goes to the next plain. I do not believe in creationism by any higher power, God, Allah, Ganesh, wtvr the hell your god is.

Just live a good life, even if we're wrong about god. I cant see god, whos described as all powerful and knowing, casting a person into eternal damnation and pitchforks up the ass, over a feel measly sins that occured in what must have seemed like a second to him.

what happins after the next plain???

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Well, what happens in heaven? Who knows.

Does that answer your question?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I really find it nearly impossible that a person could be an Atheist without any type of belief system. The comment "I do not belive in God(s) but this is what I think is going to happen when I die..." is often used, and to me it seems of a way of hedging your bets if you are wrong.

When I was agnostic, my thoughts were "God never has proved himself to me"

Now I just feel really sorry for those people that have not found God, and think what ever they found is right. They may be wonderful spiritual people, but i firmly belive that they will be lost

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So, if somebody doesnt believe in a type of god, but believes in other afterdeath theorys, its just a way have a backup incase your wrong? Why does a god have to be the acting force for the afterdeath?

Im not lost, I know exaclty where I am.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Well, what happens in heaven? Who knows.

Does that answer your question?

that was g00d...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

No I am not.
Because God has manifest himself to me. The first time he did that, he overcame science. (science gave me a month to live, 33 years ago. Here I am, because of prayer)
So Im sure you will understand when I disagree that everything in science has been proved.

1Co 1:18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart."
1Co 1:20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
1Co 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
1Co 1:22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
1Co 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,
1Co 1:24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Its a funny thing...but all you have to do is believe...and then God will reveal himself to you.
But instead, many will remain 'smart' , and perish. When you lay in bed at night, before you close your eyes, ask yourself "What if He is real and I dont wake up in the morning". No one is promised tomorrow. You have the gift in front of you today. All you have to do is accept it.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

You will never understand the bible unless you believe. This upsets many.
You demand a sign first.
God demands belief first.
Get rid of the very human pride and your on your way

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

If you have questions, feel free to U2U them .

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Can't miss a chance to impose your dogma.
This from your other thread:

2.) Why do people feel the need to bust in on a topic and hijack/change it by attacking a person or their beliefs

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Of course it's 'okay' for you to be anti-atheist. :shk:

Originally posted by jake1997
But instead, many will remain 'smart' , and perish.

Condemning AGAIN.. what is wrong with logic? Do kids perish if they don't believe in the tooth fairy or santa clause? It's much the same thing to an atheist.. perhaps if you understood how silly the concept of a creator god is to some of us you would see how pointless it is to quote scripture at us.. I've actually read the bible [made me feel nausious it was that immoral and violent] but to be honest when christians just copy and paste bible quotes over and over again instead of actually conveying their OWN thoughts I just skip over them unless it's just line or two.. less is more and it's also doesn't sound as self righteous.

When you lay in bed at night, before you close your eyes, ask yourself "What if He is real and I dont wake up in the morning".

Delude myself that a mythical being exists when it doesn't on a 'what if'?.. Why? How could not waking up bother me if I'm dead?

No one is promised tomorrow. You have the gift in front of you today. All you have to do is accept it.

Yes life is a gift.. we can agree on that.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by riley]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I have a question in regards to atheist and alcoholism.

In the 12-step alcohol recovery program, steps 2 & 3 state:

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him

I’m by no means bashing Atheists. I have no reason to. I’m just curios as to how an atheist can follow the 12-step program when steps 2 & 3 contradict their beliefs?

Is it the words Power in step 1 and understood in step 2 that can be interpreted for something other than God?

Again, please I’m by no means bashing any belief system and apologize if I’ve offended anyone.

I would like to hear from a recovering alcoholic, preferable an atheist.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Can i just ask what proof beside many people surviving tumours and others life threstening diseases does this prove that there is a god. HAve u ever heard of faith healing most dont believe in god but using the mind they can actually heal people. Also not digging at u or anything but using words from the bible isnt going to prove a thing. The bible if anything is just a collection of metaphors put into stories.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Is it imposed on you now? Are you being forced to comply?
I didnt think so.
Are YOU the only one who is allowed to say what you believe?
This is EXACTLY the kind of anti-christian attack that takes place today. It not only attacks christians, but it places the blame on them
lol
too funny

This from your other thread:

2.) Why do people feel the need to bust in on a topic and hijack/change it by attacking a person or their beliefs

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like you insist that if I believe different then you, then Im attacking.
I thought the topic asked a question to all.
I see I misread it.

Of course it's 'okay' for you to be anti-atheist. :shk:

But instead, many will remain 'smart' , and perish.

Condemning AGAIN.. what is wrong with logic?

I didnt say anything that was condemning you. I simply paraphrased the bible. If you felt condemned, it was the Holy Spirit doing it inside your heart.
Im only here to deliver the word, and seeing this particular reaction seems to be a confirmation of scripture.
Thank you.

I've actually read the bible [made me feel nausious it was that immoral and violent]

It shows mans history perfectly as any history book does. Its a shame you didnt know the story or reason behind many of those battles you saw.
You should re-read Revelation while I pray for you. If you have a personal problem with me doing it, there are others here who would do it.

but to be honest when christians just copy and paste bible quotes over and over again instead of actually conveying their OWN thoughts I just skip over them unless it's just line or two.. less is more and it's also doesn't sound as self righteous.

I am a son of God. My will is to do that of my Father.

When you lay in bed at night, before you close your eyes, ask yourself "What if He is real and I dont wake up in the morning".

Delude myself that a mythical being exists when it doesn't on a 'what if'?.. Why? How could not waking up bother me if I'm dead?

No one is promised tomorrow. You have the gift in front of you today. All you have to do is accept it.

Yes life is a gift.. we can agree on that.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by riley]

Wow.
In all of that we only agreed on one thing.
Life being a gift of God is a good start though... so I am thankful for that one thing.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

This is typically a negative view of Atheism,

well tell your atheist brothers to lay the # off christianity.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Is it imposed on you now? Are you being forced to comply?
I didnt think so.

Well I didn't actually read them.. but since the bible has NO RELEVENCE to this thread they're a waste of space.. and as they're off topic it only serves to ruin the thread.. but that probably was the point.
Strange.. but when others state something thats contrary to your beliefs.. this is the kind of nonsense you come out with:

This is EXACTLY the kind of anti-christian attack that takes place today. It not only attacks christians, but it places the blame on them
lol
too funny

Hope It's actually sunk in now.
'Do as I say not as I do' eh? Can't you even smell your own hyprocricy?

Looks like you insist that if I believe different then you, then Im attacking.

More hypocricey.

I didnt say anything that was condemning you.

You said all atheists will 'perish' and no doubt the bible quotes said the same thing so yes it was condemning and was meant to antagonise.

I simply paraphrased the bible. If you felt condemned, it was the Holy Spirit doing it inside your heart.

No.. just simply an aversion to someone who insists on trolling the boards continually belittleing ALL other beliefs while demanding his own be respected.

Im only here to deliver the word, and seeing this particular reaction seems to be a confirmation of scripture.
Thank you.

:shk:
I imagine 'witches' not wanting to be burned alive probably had much the same kind of thing said to them.

I've actually read the bible [made me feel nausious it was that immoral and violent]

It shows mans history perfectly as any history book does.

History is written by winners.. though much of the bible is myth- the parts based on 'fact' are written by ones that weren't slaughtered.

Life being a gift of God is a good start though... so I am thankful for that one thing.

I never said it was a gift from a god.. life is a gift of itself.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by riley]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
First how is 'not beliving in a greater being' a negative view of atheism
here is the dictionary view of atheism- disbelief in the existence of god or gods.
And then there's someone going on making it out like Christians are the victims we're expressing our opinion but if you want us to do what you do when you don't believe we'll do what your 'man of god' the pope (yes that's only one denomination ,so hey sue me) said if someone is suspected of not being as Christian so therefore they are a witch. Put them in a pond if they float they have used their 'magic' to survive so burn them. And oh if they sink they weren't evil but too late their dead now.

new topics

top topics

join