It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I see trouble ahead

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
As I say doing some work and i found the following I'll post the first para then the link :-)

A Boeing Phantom Works team is working on the design of a stealthier version of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, known internally as the Block 3. The design is being studied as a hedge against further delays with the Lockheed Martin F-35C Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), which has already slipped by at least a year.

link: www.janes.com...

Well I personally think that this is very interesting for the JSF project, OK the UK and USA will wait for the JSF to enter service it isn't a major problem for us.

E.g. The UK has the Tornado and the Eurofighter ready and in service and the numbers of the latter are increasing all the time, so we can handle most problems. And lets put it this way our new carriers will be late anyhoe!

The USA has the Super FA18 and the world biggest airforce so that's not a problem for the USA.

It may be a hell of a problem for some of the smaller countries who are in need of the JSF asap. for Example austrilla who's F111's are being drawn down and the F18's really need sorting out (gear and wing problems I'll find the link.)

The reasoning behind OZ's worries check out the maps:
www.ausairpower.net...
good site too

I think that Holland is replacing every thing with the JSF and a few other will not be best pleased!

What do you guys think?

RAB

[edit on 15-5-2005 by RAB]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Very Well Said! I see one critical flaw in the JSF/F-35 program. The problem has nothing to do with the aircraft itself, it has to do with the defense strategy the Pentagon is using overall. The current plan is for the F-35 to replace all of the fallowing: F-16, A-10, some F/A-18's, AV-8B and alleast one other design(I can't remember which one).

Hasn't Anyone ever heard the saying: DON'T PUT ALL OF YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET!!

That is what they seem to be doing! If the F-35 doesn't work perfectly, we are going to get SCREWED ROYALLY!

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

[edit on 17-5-2005 by ghost]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I think the most serious problem is not technical - more likely it is the lack of money because of Iraq war,.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
I think the most serious problem is not technical - more likely it is the lack of money because of Iraq war,.

That wasn't my point at all! My point is our design are getting to be too much alike. If the design has a weakness, and an enemy can figure out what it is, he can lame a huge protion of our forces!

IF you have only 10'000 aircraft and 5'000 of them are the same type. All you enemy has to do is find a weakness in that design, and he can quickly develope a way to take out 1/2 of your force.

For Example: In WW2, the German radar systems all worked on the exact same frequency! All the RAF had to do was measure the frequency of one radar station and cut the strips of chaff (aluminum foil) to the right length to counter that one station. Since all the radars were the same, the chaff worked equally well against ALL of the radar sites! It wasn't a design flaw, it was an inherient weakness of all radars.

SEE THE POINT?

Tim

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
That's nothing new, most same generation planes featured the same technology. Of course they were not identical (F-16 VS F-18) but the technology (aerodynamics, RCS, engines, fly-by-wire, avionics) and capabilities were mostly the same. JSF versions just look more similar than by old types, that's all. Besides they will be not the only one plane in US service. There are/will be also F-22, bomber fleet and UAVs.

RAB

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The JSF will enter service, but just having 1 type of plane is a doddy idea at best. IF IT'S and it will be the OZ'es have a major problem.

IF boeing are spending millions of £ / $ on a upgrade for the super FA18 have they noticed something on there F-32 are thought hmm, or more worryingly found something on the F35.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
That's nothing new, most same generation planes featured the same technology. Of course they were not identical (F-16 VS F-18) but the technology (aerodynamics, RCS, engines, fly-by-wire, avionics) and capabilities were mostly the same. JSF versions just look more similar than by old types, that's all. Besides they will be not the only one plane in US service. There are/will be also F-22, bomber fleet and UAVs.

You have just proven my point! The F-16 and F-18 were not identical. This means there are variations in the stringths and weaknesses! The F-35/JSF does NOT have that because the A, B, and C version are almost the SAME plane! Look at the F-16 and the F-18, You will see that they do Not have the same aerodynamics. the difference in aerodynamics give the two aircraft different preformance envelopes. In some situations where you might be able to escape from an F-16, the F-18 can still get you and vic versa! I know there will be other planes in the mix, but my point is now, more then ever, the planes are TOO much alike! Commonality is good, but NOT if it's Overdone!

Tim

new topics

top topics

join