It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Invention...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

My number one choice is

Farming.

From the standpoint of population and individual security, farming has been a nearly fatal mistake, from which we are only now beginning to recover.

Nomadism allows people to survive for years even in the worst drought conditions.

Here are a few of the problems of farming:

1. Ruined our diet. Most nomads, like the San or the Commanche, had a diet that was up to 80% meat. Life expectancy for most hunter gatherers was probably in the 60 - 70 range. But farming lowered life expectancies down to the high 40's in practically every culture from the ancient near east to Renaissance france.

2. Invited vermin into our homes. Permanent residence, with big vats of grain, was the domesticating force behind mice and cockroaches both.

3. Diminished liesure time. The folks who built stonehenge probably had more group leisure time than any society before or since. It has been calculated that the average head of household labored on 35 hours PER WEEK to feed his entire nuclear family! He spent less time hunting than most people spend in the grocery store (and it's parking lot.) Just think about the hours wasted at Walmart, or sitting at stop lights, and you'll get my point.

4. Created Pandemics. Lots of humans, densely packed and malnourished. A perfect breeding-ground for plague, smallpox, AIDS or the superflu. Take your pick. In motile cultures, a clan that was infected simply died out, before passing the disease on to their kin.

5. Created an environment for Malaria. Malaria is the single greatest cause of human death in history. Period. 10% of all the humans who have ever died have done so because of Malaria. And farming is the factor that forces people to dwell in swamps, and labor in rice patties or irrigation ditches where there is constant, stagnant water.

6. The advent of formal political oppression. The average hunter/gatherer clan is run by a petty cheiften. If he gets too big for his britches, the rest of the guys get together and arrange a "hunting accident." With farming comes taxes, slavery, the military draft, and debtor's prisons. It also brings the division of labor that inevitably results in 95% of the population laboring to benifit the other 5%.

7. Bad teeth. Hunter gatherers don't eat ANY sugar, other than the occasional find of a bee's honeycomb. Most of 'em don't drink coffee, or eat sticky foods that cause decay. You can study the change from farming back to hunting on the upper Platte River basin in the northern US. The quality of teeth rises dramatically in the late 1690's, as the river-bottom farmers begin hunting buffalo from horseback.

8. Organized religion (for those of you who see it as a negative). Primal societies are totally steeped in supernatural understanding of the world. But rituals, sacrifices, priesthoods, and all the rest, come with farming. The book of Genesis says it all. Abel was the hunter; while Cain, the fratricide, was the farmer. . .

9. Environmental damage. Not only from the high numbers of humans being "farmed" into the world's coastlines. Just the straightforward ecological damage of slash and burn agriculture, and today's modern "petroleum-based" agriculture, that uses oil as the base for ever pesticide, most fertilizer, and all transport systems.

If you don't like my farming hypothesis, then how about the "Jump to conclusions mat?"

Wow those are some very interesting points there . Now I have to rethink on what I just posted back there

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
1. multi-level marketing schemes

2. junk mail

3. telemarketing

4. junk food.

5. plastic brooms (straw is free from any farmer, and a renewable resource.)

6. plastic grocery bags

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Religions that give a lot of pat answers and shut down peoples interactive/creative thought processes.

And further try to silence anyone and anything that does not blindly accept their precepts.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars51
Do you really think that remote places such as London, Canada would ever become inhabitable without the internal combustion engine?

Inhospitable places don't need to be made habitable; there's plenty enough room in the "temperate" zones for that (or would be if our society were so inclined and didn't make a national park out of everything.) And people were living in Canada, Scotland, Finland, Siberia, etc. way before any combustion engine was created. People adapt alot better than we like to think. We've just gotten to the point that life without central heating or air conditioning isn't worth living.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
My number one choice is
Farming.

Nothing beats the jump to conclusion mat.Seriously I would have to agree with you on farming. Farming opened the pandoras box of human problems All very good points.

Trailing close behind..
2:Organized religion
3:AIDS ( I don't care what you all say we made it)
4:polystyrene plastic
5:Television
6: "flavoured" H2O

[edit on 16-5-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
A frightening thought just occured to me regarding farming being the worst invention:

No farming=No grain supply

No grain supply=No mash

No mash=No beer

Since beer is the greatest invention of mankind, how can farming be bad?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Almost everything has a positive and negative use. It is how we decide to use it that makes it good or bad. Take for example antimatter. Used in a spacecraft, it will be very good. Used in a bomb. it will be very bad.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Artificial Lighting Systems.

Since Edison perfected the light bulb, 99% of the Earth's population has been forced to adjust to a 24 hour culture. The resulting changes from this have had terrible effects on people's health, happiness, expected productivity at work, etc... In my opinion this has been the fundementally most radical and adverse effect (take a minute to think of all the changes, both positive and negative, to take place since we no longer rely solely on the sun for illumination) to people during our time on earth.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Definitely Playdo that stuff is so hard to get out of carpet. A close second would be silly-putty.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What I dont get are french horns, perfume, neck-ties, and reality tv

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Orgainized religion, ok, back it up. I want facts, links please.

Some of my votes, I'm not bothering to number them.

*) Pharmacy World Order - "Take our alergy medication. It might give you a cold, and possibly some stomach bleeding. And you might become dizzy." "Or, take our ant-acid. You might have stomach cramps as a result." "Never mind those moments of forgetfullness, take this to handle it." "Oh, poor baby, you're depressed. Take this. Now if you notice stomach bleeding, get right to the hospital."
*) Psychology - "Now you mustn't get excited and think that way, take our pills to calm you down." (control through use of drugs) "Your kid definitely has ADHD, here is a prescription for Ritalin." (profit from ficticious diseases, control through use of drugs) "Oh I'm sorry but Ritalin didn't have anything to do with your kid shooting up his school. We probably should have increased his dosages, so he could be more like a vegetable." (crime and irrational behavior rises, supressing emotions with drugs)
*) Psychiatry - "Now, once you are an alcoholic you are allways an alcoholic. You can only control it better." What crap! My dad hasn't drank alcohol in years, and hasn't even slipped up to my knowlege. My dad "was" an alcoholic who was drunk or drinking nearly every day of the week. He is "not" an alcoholic now. A Psychiatrist told my sister in-law recently that she would allways be an Anorexic, but she could control it better. What kind of human defeating statement is this? Sounds like a lifetime of treatment and pills that will never fix her problem. After all, "she will allways be an Anorexic."

Note) I am not against the good hearted people who have entered these fields above to help their fellow man. But I am against some of the non-sense these fields have brought to this world.

Peace and love,

Troy

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I will have to say that the Internet is the worst invention ever.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Hmm, so much competing for a place on the list.

Listed in no particular order, lets see…
1, Add ware
2, Reality TV
3, Cigarettes
4, Ritalin
5, Fast Food
6, Political Parties
7, I guess the internal combustion engine as well
8, Perhaps even TV in general
9, Organized religion
Bah! So many things I don’t think I could possibly list them all.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
What would be worst invention that human kind has ever created?

Nuclear Weapons?
Firearms?
Biowarfare?

If you do agree that these are the worst inventions we have created then why do we still continue on researching and developing them?

because it is mankinds destiny to die

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
RELIGION
.. there.. i said it

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

I will have to say that the Internet is the worst invention ever.

well then.... why are you here

RELIGION ---> worst invention mankind has made!!!

[edit on 17-5-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Too many people have died in the name of Christ for anyone to heed the call ". That was a line from a song I heard years ago and it always stuck in my head. (if you know the name of the song, let me know U2U)

Crosby, Stills, and Nash "Cathedral," 1977

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
In no particular order:
1. the pet rock
2. button-fly jeans
3. nuclear weapons
4. dog clothing

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I think TV is the worst invention no joke

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Before anyone here again makes the blanket statement "RELIGION" (and sits on the religious bashing bandwagon and chuckles to themselves) then know what you are attacking.

Some of the greatest and most helpful people I have known are dedicated to religion. The folks I have worked with help clean up the environment, help others in distress, and help people be more aware of their spiritual nature. Is this bad?

Much love,

Troy

<< 1    3 >>

join