It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Invention...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
What would be worst invention that human kind has ever created?

Nuclear Weapons?
Firearms?
Biowarfare?

If you do agree that these are the worst inventions we have created then why do we still continue on researching and developing them?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
bio warefare is the worst followed by nukes. guns were not a bad invention just misused.

why bio-weaps firs? because they not only kill but can go on spreading out of controll. only those immunized against them might live. some don't even have an antidote and some may even mutae. in short they can stay arround for years and even travel to other places.

nukes while bad createing areas that will be contaminated for years will at least prety much stay in the same areas.

both of these realy only have negitive uses. at least guns can be used to provide food. they are truly good or bad based solely on the user.

as for reserch and developement. well at least if you have them you can threaten retaliation if they are used against you. personaly i would rather be rid of bio weaps and keep nukes the proverbial lesser of two evils.

apc

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Not to get all dEEp here, but there is no such thing as 'the worst invention'.

Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Quite frankly I think the worst invention ever was Windows Millenium edition

Originally by apc:
Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

In a way, that sums up my opinion about the question. The problem isn't necessarily the weapons themselves, but the people behind them. As drogo said, you can use these as deterrents; sometimes knowing your enemy has a bigger and uglier gun than you will turn you into a really nice guy.

This might be somewhat of a digression, but I really think the problem lies more in the fact we have reason to create weapons of any kind, let alone these. When I was growing up--back in the days before playing with guns was thought to lead to serial killing--I could make a weapon out of anything. That's not a board, that's a rocket launcher. The plastic bubble toys from gumball machines came in were hand grenades. Unless a room was empty, I could walk in there and find enough crap to arm a small third-world nation.

I go off on this tangent, because in a way, that's how we are as a society it seems. We harness the power of the atom, and we turn it into a bomb. We discover bacteria and virii, and we try to figure out how to use it against the commies, al-Qaeda, or whomever the flavor of the week is. Unfortunately, as long as we do it, we need to do it. Someone will always be looking for that bigger weapon, so we need to get it first.

Anyways, to answer your question, in my opinion the worst invention isn't on your list. I'm probably going to irk someone off here, but I think the worst "invention" of all was religion. More people have died in the name of a god than probably ever will from any single weapon mankind ever creates. But that is a topic probably best suited to another board...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1

Anyways, to answer your question, in my opinion the worst invention isn't on your list. I'm probably going to irk someone off here, but I think the worst "invention" of all was religion. More people have died in the name of a god than probably ever will from any single weapon mankind ever creates. But that is a topic probably best suited to another board...

Right on....... " Too many people have died in the name of Christ for anyone to heed the call ". That was a line from a song I heard years ago and it always stuck in my head. (if you know the name of the song, let me know U2U)

Religion has killed so many innocent people, and all for the elite few to control the masses. Religion has a sad history.

As far as nukes, bios and guns...... All these inventions have been used by the U.S.A. to become the super power that it is. The U.S. uses this power to ensure that only those in the "Club" can have the "BIG TOYS", and the rest of the world's countries get a swat on the butt if they even aspire to gain any control over their destiny.

I also want to add TV to the list as well, and in particular, the way parents use it as a babysitter for young children. I've seen children sitting in front of "Power Rangers" with a blank look on their faces, just sucking up the violence.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
religion and the rule of law are inherntently intertwined. they both have caused massive casualties across the globe since the span of time. petty differences, mother nature, and ignorance also bores a stupindous amount of negativity that besets the true nature of human kinds existance. alas these are not inventions but beliefes rooted in god himself.

as for the creation that has plagued us the most...? video games pops into mind, the more i think about how it plagued my social develpment as a child the more annomosity i gear toward the entire entity thats become the entire video movement. once drawn in it envelopes your soul and bonds you to a digital realm which at the time can seem like string of endless amusment. the more ditraction engaged in the more dire the outcome, its a highly unhealthy hobby to persue. isolation bores true ignance, games press isolation and social degradation. much the same as television, both plague humankind to press onward with a progressive outlook in seeking unfamiliar enlightening concepts.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Any weapon which takes out the skill of a one-on-one confrontation. So not knives, swords, single-shot guns, etc., but definitely automatic weapons, missiles, bombs, chemical weapons, napalm, etc.

Also, crack-coc aine and crystal meth.

Not Tv, but most Tv shows. Commercials.

Cigarettes.

Cellphones.

Political parties. Special Interest Groups. Electronic Voting machines with no paper trail.

Credit Cards.

I dunno... Oil Pipelines in Alaska?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by quango
Any weapon which takes out the skill of a one-on-one confrontation. So not knives, swords, single-shot guns, etc., but definitely automatic weapons, missiles, bombs, chemical weapons, napalm, etc.

Also, crack-coc aine and crystal meth.

Not Tv, but most Tv shows. Commercials.

Cigarettes.

Cellphones.

Political parties. Special Interest Groups. Electronic Voting machines with no paper trail.

Credit Cards.

I dunno... Oil Pipelines in Alaska?

I definitly agree with cellphones. They are just horrible. Everywhere I see poeple are constanly chatting on the cellphone. It seems that we cant be alone just even just for 5 minutes. I remember once in a museum where i saw this couple. The man's cellphone rang and he answered it and began chatting loudly on it (its a museum gezz take the convo outside!) and the wife just stared at him. Then she took out her cell phone and began looking for people to talk with. She kept on trying to call someone to chat someone. This went on for around 15 mins.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I just drove home, through heavy traffic, from opening the cottage for the season so my answer may have been influenced by the experience. My nomination for the worst invention would have to be the internal combustion engine. First, this does not preclude the automobile as other technologies would have been developed for mass transit and personal transportation. The internal combustion engine has in the last century served to cause air pollution and, in no small measure, has contributed greatly to causing instability of our climate. If only we had developed an engine or motor that was more environmentally friendly and efficient.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yes, i agree with most people saying that, weapons don't kill people, people kill people. There may be/have been times that these weapons of mass destruction are needed, it is just the people that misuse them that make them a 'bad invention'. I think all inventions are needed though, because without them, better inventions are not created.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
My nomination for the worst invention would have to be the internal combustion engine.

Do you really think that remote places such as London, Canada would ever become inhabitable without the internal combustion engine? Yes, external combustion systems such as steam locomotive trains could get you there, but even with the best batteries today you could barely get to Windsor, especially if it happens to be cold outside (imagine that in Canada, eh?)...

Perhaps using petroleum based fuels today is a bad idea, but there really is no suitable replacement for the internal combustion engine - even today.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
As much as I hate to admit it, I think that technology in general was the worst invention ever in terms of causing mass human suffering and loss of life. Technology enables us to achieve fantastic accomplishments but also enables the worst in us. Before there was technology, we couldnt kill or mame quite as many as we do now. Please dont get me wrong here. I do appreciate all technology has afforded me, but sometimes I wonder how it would be if we had pursued a more natural way of life.

[edit on 5/15/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Communism?

Capitalism?

Money?

Nukes?

Propaganda?

International Compagnies?

Weapons?

Lies?

God?

TV?

Everything that just makes humans bad and that they can lost everything for it.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I feel that techology has made life much much more complicated. Look in the past where there were just farming and such. Very simple.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
My number one choice is

Farming.

From the standpoint of population and individual security, farming has been a nearly fatal mistake, from which we are only now beginning to recover.

Nomadism allows people to survive for years even in the worst drought conditions.

Here are a few of the problems of farming:

1. Ruined our diet. Most nomads, like the San or the Commanche, had a diet that was up to 80% meat. Life expectancy for most hunter gatherers was probably in the 60 - 70 range. But farming lowered life expectancies down to the high 40's in practically every culture from the ancient near east to Renaissance france.

2. Invited vermin into our homes. Permanent residence, with big vats of grain, was the domesticating force behind mice and cockroaches both.

3. Diminished liesure time. The folks who built stonehenge probably had more group leisure time than any society before or since. It has been calculated that the average head of household labored on 35 hours PER WEEK to feed his entire nuclear family! He spent less time hunting than most people spend in the grocery store (and it's parking lot.) Just think about the hours wasted at Walmart, or sitting at stop lights, and you'll get my point.

4. Created Pandemics. Lots of humans, densely packed and malnourished. A perfect breeding-ground for plague, smallpox, AIDS or the superflu. Take your pick. In motile cultures, a clan that was infected simply died out, before passing the disease on to their kin.

5. Created an environment for Malaria. Malaria is the single greatest cause of human death in history. Period. 10% of all the humans who have ever died have done so because of Malaria. And farming is the factor that forces people to dwell in swamps, and labor in rice patties or irrigation ditches where there is constant, stagnant water.

6. The advent of formal political oppression. The average hunter/gatherer clan is run by a petty cheiften. If he gets too big for his britches, the rest of the guys get together and arrange a "hunting accident." With farming comes taxes, slavery, the military draft, and debtor's prisons. It also brings the division of labor that inevitably results in 95% of the population laboring to benifit the other 5%.

7. Bad teeth. Hunter gatherers don't eat ANY sugar, other than the occasional find of a bee's honeycomb. Most of 'em don't drink coffee, or eat sticky foods that cause decay. You can study the change from farming back to hunting on the upper Platte River basin in the northern US. The quality of teeth rises dramatically in the late 1690's, as the river-bottom farmers begin hunting buffalo from horseback.

8. Organized religion (for those of you who see it as a negative). Primal societies are totally steeped in supernatural understanding of the world. But rituals, sacrifices, priesthoods, and all the rest, come with farming. The book of Genesis says it all. Abel was the hunter; while Cain, the fratricide, was the farmer. . .

9. Environmental damage. Not only from the high numbers of humans being "farmed" into the world's coastlines. Just the straightforward ecological damage of slash and burn agriculture, and today's modern "petroleum-based" agriculture, that uses oil as the base for ever pesticide, most fertilizer, and all transport systems.

If you don't like my farming hypothesis, then how about the "Jump to conclusions mat?"

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
lets face it the worst invention was probably free wii. the ability to do as we want to whomever or whatever we want.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Religion and god gets drug into killings lately.

No, it is the insane person who distorts a religion or creates an insane religion that kills. The person was insane first, then led a bunch of people to do bad things.

Hitler led his sheep to do bad things, but that doesn't make all organizations of people bad, does it?

I've been a part of different religious organizations in my life, I was never commanded to bear arms and kill.

Troy

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Michael Bolton
FCC
Tasers
Radar guns (for cops)
War on Drugs

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Worst Invention... Broccoli

Another evil perpetrated on mankind by those farmers with their malaria and their bad teeth!

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.

Without it, the slaughter of soldiers and civilians that went on from 1914 to 1945 would still be going on, making the sorry state of state sponsored killing much worse than it currently is, which is bad.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join