It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Fox: Mexicans do Work "Not Even Blacks Want to Do"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Nobody is happy unless we have chaos on a daily basis.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think more people need to think about what is actually being said.

Ok, so black people are a minority in the US right? And, so are mexicans. If a black person is not above picking up trash wouldn't that be considered a virtue?

Because surely if that was a bad thing, then what Vincente Fox is implying about Mexicans, his own country men, is that they are worse than black people.

And I doubt that's what he was saying about his people. I think all he was saying is that Mexicans are willing to do any work they can find as an illegal. Black people, on the other hand, are looking and working in more skilled, better paying jobs.

The reason I think he chose black people is because they are a minority in comparable size to the mexican minority.

But, I guess all one has to do is to see whether blacks historically had the same jobs that mexicans are doing today. This will provide a real, objective look at his statements. Anyone up for that challenge?

He's either ignorant of job history in the US or he is right, but not a racist. If he were a racist, then his statement would imply he holds an even worse view of his own countrymen.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well said Jamuhn, nothing like pure logic to clarify the topic. I never saw it like that until you said that, thanks

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Fox has offered an apology for his remarks. As much of an apology as a politician ever offers, anyway.

Fox at first refused to apologize for the Friday comment, saying his remark had been misinterpreted. But later, in telephone conversations with Rev. Jesse Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton, two black U.S. civil rights activists, the president said he "regretted" the statement.

"The president regretted any hurt feelings his statements may have caused," the Foreign Relations Department said in a press statement. "He expressed the great respect he and his administration has for the African-American community in the United States."

Jackson replied that he was sure the president had no racist intent, and suggested the two meet to discuss joint strategies between blacks and immigrant groups in the United States, Aguilar said.

cnews.canoe.ca...

And now he is going to have a meeting in Mexico with Jackson, Sharpton and others, to plan 'strategy'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
El Presidente spoke the truth.
I run a small blue-collar business (boat yard). Excluding office staff, I employ two whites and one black that are skilled labor. The Mexicans are the ONLY people I can hire that will do the "grunt" work. Neither blacks OR whites will even APPLY for the jobs. The pay starts at $10 per hour, and some make $16 per hour. With benefits. And they pay taxes.
People can say what they want to about this transformation of our blue-collar work force, but it is what it is. The young people of the US (regardless of color) don't want to work, the border-crossers do. Supply and demand, the American way.
So if you're a young and unemployed American and have no skills or education, you better see the writing on the wall. Somebody wants that job, and the're gonna get it.
And thats the truth.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
El Presidente Fox will be issuing an apology to Sharpton and Jackson.

Now we can all sleep tonight.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
When will that occur?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
El Presidente Fox will be issuing an apology to Sharpton and Jackson.

Now we can all sleep tonight.

As If Jackson and Sharpton represent the Black community as a whole! What I want to know is.....where are the members of the Black congressional caucus on this......?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm African American and view President Fox's comments as insensitive.

However, the bigger issue is the context of his statement... I'm not impressed with a President of a foreign country trying to make a case for discouraging tighter controls by the American government in efforts to protect American borders! The FOX actively supports Open Borders because ...the burden of providing healthcare, education and job opportunities for illegal immigrants falls squarely on the shoulders of American taxpayers AND moved from his back.

BTW...has he asked any black or (white) Americans if they wanted jobs as construction workers, road or maintenance crews???? Between Outsourcing and illegal immigration...it’s a surprise that Americans have jobs!

The bottomline ----the government of Mexico should DISCOURAGE illegal activity committed by their countrymen -- that includes illegal immigration...But that would me creating jobs in Mexico, providing for healthcare and education....

Black and AMERICAN!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
hou77077, why do you think his words were "insensitive"?

What exactly did he say that you find insensitive?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here's the latest regarding this event:

On Monday, [Fox] spoke with the Revs. Jesse Jackson and
Al Sharpton by telephone and told them: "I regret any hurt feelings caused by my statements."

The president maintains his comments were misinterpreted and a public apology is not forthcoming, presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said Tuesday.

"From the point of view of the president, the misinterpretation has been clarified with the affirmation by the president, with his repeated demonstrations of absolute respect for minorities, whatever their race, their ethnicity, their religion," Aguilar said.

Many Mexicans did not see Fox's remark about blacks as offensive. Blackface comedy, while demeaning to many Americans, is still considered funny here and many people hand out nicknames based on skin color.

"This is an exaggeration," said Manuel Espino, leader of the conservative National Action Party. "There have been a lot harsher comments that come from north of the border, and we don't scream and shout about it."

Even Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, the archbishop of Mexico City, criticized U.S. immigration policy as ridiculous and defended Fox's comments, saying: "The declaration had nothing to do with racism. It is a reality in the United States that anyone can prove."

Source: story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050517/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_fox_blacks

-koji K.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It is a reality in the United States that anyone can prove.

I never thought I'd be agreeing with a clergyman but that is spot on.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz

First of all...was'nt it you whining on some thread this morning about people attacking you? But I digress! I think she answered your question....personally I could give a rats-butt if all of you lose your jobs to the Vincente Fox cause....I have mine ...I telecommute with my own consulting Biz.

Subz: If you want to pretend that black people don't work in construction jobs, or won't work in nursing homes, or whatever...then you are indeed more perplexed by life than I could have imagined. Anyway just keep buying Vicente's propaganda and you you'll be flying the Mexican flag proudly from the Hills of appalachia!

oh and btw...I'm Black....and hell no I'm not pickin any strawberries! TA-TA for now Subz...gotta go catch a plane for Sedona AZ!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Im asking him a question, hows that attacking him?

I was interested as to the reasons he found it insensitive as a black person. Please refrain from trying to start an argument where there is no cause.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hou77077
...the burden of providing healthcare, education and job opportunities for illegal immigrants falls squarely on the shoulders of American taxpayers...

Houston, is it me or is the majority of posts here missing what you are saying? Fox's statement was purely politically motivated as opposed to being motivated by prejudice or racial bias.

Where I work there are plenty of Mexicans (ahem...Hispanic-Americans, sorry) that that refuse to and will never do the work that my black employee does (whoops...African-American) just becasue his work ethic is so much greater than theirs. Yet I am constantly defending him because the people have white fright and want to find fault to force me to can him. The reality of the work place has no connection with the reality of the political world, only the way we want to view the political world.

Posted by a European-American

ps- and I hire gays too! (whoopssy-daisy, Alternative-Lifestyle-Americans)

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Vicente Fox is not my favorite person, but he would have gained a point with me if he had told Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to take a flying leap.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Subz:

You are missing my point. Again...President’s FOX comments are politically motivated. It doesn't bother you that a FOX is trying to persuade the U.S. government to NOT protect U.S. borders? Why is he doing this… all for the benefit of his country!

I encourage all too not fall victim to the SPIN!! FOX knows NOT of the Black experience in America…and has no authority to speak to it.

Back to the real issue... why would FOX encourage OPEN Borders????

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hou77077
I'm African American and view President Fox's comments as insensitive.

Actually I think you missed the very simple question I asked. If you found Fox's comments insensitive then you should be able to give reasons for it. You danced around the question. If you dont want to answer the question then just say.

I have no opinion on Fox's motives for saying it. I couldnt care less about the U.S border. I was concentrating on teh "Not even blacks want to do" segment of his speech. Which is what this thread is about.

I wanted to know why people take issue with that segment of the speech. The rest, to me, is neither here nor there.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The term "Not even Blacks" gives the impression of inferiority when compared to, lets say, Whites in the US, which is what Fox was getting at.

It is, racial stereotyping no matter how real the sweeping statement, it's a generalisation.

His terminology could have been better chosen, of that there is no doubt.

In fact this reminds me of the time Bush used the term Paki, to describe the Pakistani people, a known derogative used to describe middle eastern and middle asian people, used by UK racists.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Im asking him a question, hows that attacking him?

I was interested as to the reasons he found it insensitive as a black person. Please refrain from trying to start an argument where there is no cause.

Ok Mr. Hyper-sensitive.....I did'nt attack you! However, in agreeing with the Fox statement or by "wondering why it upsets blacks" you inherently must feel that blacks will not work the types of jobs that I mentioned before to you. In doing so.....you are quite wrong! Thats it! Sorry if you felt I attacked you...I'm simply debating the topic....

Oh and btw...was'nt it you who had the thread on people attacking you on this board? Just a question! But I'll go back and double check!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join