It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: how an abortion puts the next baby at risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well this surely will cause some more debate. medically I am not surprised but the unknown issue here is how many mothers who had an abortion the first time now have a child with severe medical issues? Would this not be a similar circumstance in which a mother drink heavy amounts of alcohol while pregnant and then is held liable for such actions? I will have to watch this one further.

By Michael Day
(Filed: 15/05/2005)

Having an abortion almost doubles a woman's risk of giving birth dangerously early in a later pregnancy, according to research that will provoke fresh debate over the most controversial of all medical procedures.

A French study of 2,837 births - the first to investigate the link between terminations and extremely premature births - found that mothers who had previously had an abortion were 1.7 times more likely to give birth to a baby at less than 28 weeks' gestation. Many babies born this early die soon after birth, and a large number who survive suffer serious disability.

LINK

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I knew a woman who was born about 2-3 months too early. She revealed to me that her mother had had an abortion or two before she was born.

And a friend of a friend had a few abortions, and she has trouble carrying a baby to term from what I hear.

A friend of mine in Maryland had an abortion (she's now a Christian) and she can't have her own children now. She and her husband adopted a baby girl.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Ed, your link doesn't work, for me anyway. New Link

A series of earlier, smaller studies had failed to provide clear evidence of a link and so women currently opting for an abortion are not warned of the risk.
The results suggest that induced abortion can damage the cervix in some way that makes a premature birth more likely in subsequent pregnancies."
A spokesman for Marie Stopes International, which is the largest provider of abortions outside the NHS, said that women seeking terminations were not told of increased risks of premature births "because so far, they have not been established".

If abortion does put further pregnancies at risk, I think the women should be made aware of the possibility of that, but this article just seems to 'suggest' that abortion does something to the cervix 'in some way' without really giving much information.

In other words, this does not seem at all like a conclusive study with established results. There's a lot of "may cause" and "suggests" and so on.

If it's true, then the medical community better get on the ball and find a way to do abortions that don't cause further problems.

Oh, and I know tone of people who have had abortions then go on to carry their babies full term.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The cervix may often undergo trauma from both pregnancy, labor and delivery, and that associated with sexual relations. Lesions are not uncommon, however, most of them are benign. can cause problems with the cervix and future deliveries.

Any pregnancy is at risk of developing complications to the mother and unborn child.

But that has nothing to do with abortion, but more like the bad judgment of the doctors.

Sometimes is to late to recognized that a baby head is to large or the cervix is not ready for the delivery and the women pushes her baby to early causing tear and damage that may affect future pregnancies.

In an abortion depending the size of the fetus, the dilatation of the cervix is performed, again it depends of the competency of the doctor as doing unwillingly a damage to it.

In other occasions some women have stitches in the cervix during pregnancies because the fetuses may fall from her uterus.

You know some of this articles will impact the people that is not very knowledgeable of pregnancies or how the women reproductives parts acts during certain instances.

Ed tilte "how an abortion puts the next baby at risk" can be added to the list of other problems no related to abortion that every pregnat women is at rist when she is expecting.

Just research and learn is nothing better that knowledge to kill ignorance.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

[Originally by Benevolent Heretic
In other words, this does not seem at all like a conclusive study with established results. There's a lot of "may cause" and "suggests" and so on.

I think that's mainly because a lot of work like this has too many outside variables to determine an actual direct link. I'd be more leary if it said "this does cause..." Very little in medicinal research is 100% true for every case.

The people I feel the worst for in this case are rape victims, or women who needed to get an abortion for reasons other than just "I didn't want the kid." A situation beyond their immediate control can potentially cause them to not be able to have a healthy baby in the future, when they are willing/can have a baby.

Amethyst, I'm curious about this:

A friend of mine in Maryland had an abortion (she's now a Christian)

Are you saying that someone can't be a Christian and have an abortion?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure she means that being a christian means to her that an abortion is wrong. Nothing wrong with either belief, only christians will try to convince each other the most that its wrong.

You know what she meant, jeez.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I hope all of you men reading this are taking it to heart. This is why we need to encourage men to use condoms OR to get vasectomies!!

We need to end the senseless risky violence. Men need to start talking to other men about this and make sure they hammer the message home!

These unwanted pregnancies are the responsibility of the father, who could have used the condom in the first place.

So tell it to your brothers and tell it LOUD until they get it through their thick skulls: WRAP IT IN PLASTIC!

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
These unwanted pregnancies are the responsibility of the father, who could have used the condom in the first place.

So tell it to your brothers and tell it LOUD until they get it through their thick skulls: WRAP IT IN PLASTIC!

Wow.
I commend you for taking that kind of responsibility! Good for you! Just imagine how the abortion rate would plummet if both partners took 100% responsibility for not creating an unwanted pregnancy.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That should be the ideal when both partners decided to take equal responsibility.

I always tell my young adult children to take care of themselves in case the other side doesn't.

Occurs My daughter now 21 has chosen abstinence, while my son is very private when it comes to sex matters.

Still I drill him about responsibilities every way I can.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Hammer and Drill while talking about sex...... Anyways...

I like this topic, it would be like making a new medical discovery!

"Using a pillow to sleep may/might/could/.0000000000000001% of the time cause brain cancer!"

This topic is just sad, I guess some people don't like google/health class.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
That article is silly.

My best friend had three abortions (let the judgements lie; it's her soul) when she was 15 (1990), 16(1990) and 17(1991), all very close to each other, obviously. She then procedded to have three children:
#1- C-Section, 1995 8 lbs 2 oz Healthy female
#2- VBAC (vaginal birth after cesearian), 1996 8 lbs 7 ox Healthy female
#3- VNAC, 1998 8 lbs 9 oz Healthy

And just in case I am mistaken, all three do not have anything from ADD to diabetes to asthma. Perfectly healthy.

Circumstances play a lot. How old was she? How many did she have? What kind of doctor? What technique? Was the mother to be healthy?

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
I knew a woman who was born about 2-3 months too early. She revealed to me that her mother had had an abortion or two before she was born.

And a friend of a friend had a few abortions, and she has trouble carrying a baby to term from what I hear.

A friend of mine in Maryland had an abortion (she's now a Christian) and she can't have her own children now. She and her husband adopted a baby girl.

Yes, and I know two women that had an anbortion while we were in highschool. One now has 3 children and the other has 2 children. All by the way are healthy and were full term. You can't just take one or two experiences and lump everything together. BTW, I'm against abortion if you were thinking differently.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Byrd,

I usually agree with you on a lot of things but jeez.... It takes two to tango so to speak. If women really don't want to get pregnant...MAKE the man use a condom or don't have sex at all...you can't just put ALL the blame on the guys.

p.s. I do get what you're saying though that men need to take responsibility for their actions....just can't blame it all on men.

[edit on 23-12-2005 by MacMerdin]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
MacMerdin: You have to realize that the american society tends to put all the blame on the man nowadays. The pendulum has swung from the extreme of "The man is guiltless" all the way to "The man is always guilty". This is true in a lot of civil law cases involving domestic violence, as well as how our society tends to respond to responsibility of pregnancy and such.

It is easy to blame the men when they don't carry the child.

As for the report originally cited... Abortion DOES have a tendency of effecting the ability to have children in the future. That doesn't count for everyone, it only means it is a factor. As such, Doctors I do believe are required to inform the potential mother of the risks of such an operation.

Remember, everything has a risk. C-sections have a risk, abortions have a risk, even taking the pill effects your chemical and biological makeup in a sense.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Anything in this time an age put women and men in risk when it comes to procreation, stress, environment, mental problems many, many modern factors.

But blaming abortion solely on it is not right.

new topics

top topics

join