It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Religious Right to Boycott Microsoft Over Support for Gay Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Religious conservatives are threatening Microsoft with a boycott, if it continues to support certain gay rights legislation. Microsoft has reversed its position on this matter before and the changes have created considerable ill will on both sides of the issue. Microsoft stated that the decision was not influenced by outside forces and that they will continue to attract customers through innovation, regardless of individual political persuasions.

news.telegraph.co.uk
Microsoft is being threatened with organised boycotts by the religious Right after twice reversing its policy on homosexual rights legislation in recent weeks.

Buckling under pressure from rival powerful interest groups, the software giant - which offers generous domestic partner rights for gay employees - performed an embarrassing U-turn over a bill in its home state of Washington that would outlaw discrimination against homosexuals at work.

Last month, shortly before a vote in Olympia, the state capital, it withdrew its backing for the bill after intense lobbying by an evangelical preacher, Ken Hutcherson, a former American football professional who runs one of Washington State's biggest churches. "I told them I was going to give them something to be afraid of Christians about," the Rev Hutcherson said.

Yet Microsoft's change of heart prompted outrage from gay and liberal activists, and criticism from its staff and other big businesses, including Nike and Boeing, who backed the legislation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In a discussion on this board, we have been wondering what it might take for Apple to overcome Microsoft in the computer market. An organized boycott of Microsoft products might be the impetus for such, but personally, I doubt it. There may be some who might make their computer and software decisions on the basis of politics, but I can't see most consumers doing so. Microsoft would probably have done better to have attended to their own internal policies and to have avoided the issue of legislation altogether. Their position on this matter will not affect my computer buying habits, as I feel that corporations are being strong-armed by thug-like tactics on both sides.

Related News Links:
www.planetout.com
www.ecommercetimes.com
www.365gay.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Microsoft Offers Anti-Spyware
www.belowtopsecret.com...
Why Apple and Folly Go Hand-in-Glove
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 05/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

There may be some who might make their computer and software decisions on the basis of politics, but I can't see most consumers doing so.

Personally I think it's going to be economics, when a Linux version comes out that can do everything the M$ version can do, but 3 times cheaper(or even free if you don't mind going through lengthly installs). Longhorn has been delayed for a long time, and that may have put them at a bit of a disadvantage as I don't believe Microsoft took the Linux threat serously enough from the beggining. Hell they've been forced to do cloak and daggar attacks through proxy companies like SCO .... The OS wars will be coming to an end soon, which is why I believe M$ is going full throtle into the Hardware Business as well as the ISP business eventually. Longhorn may be thier last entry into the consumer OS market.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I read the linked story twice, trying to discern which conservative groups are threatening to boycott Microsoft. According to the end of the third paragraph, a single pastor from a large church in WA is making the threats. Later in the article, the reporter makes the claim that Rev. Hutcherson can expect support from other conservative organizations. Interestingly, the conservative groups he supposedly can expect support from didn't get involved in this case the first time around even though they had previously boycotted Proctor & Gamble, Kraft, and Disney.

Personally, I think the original story is a little bit biased - it leaves the reader with the impression that the conservative groups are doing something sinister or unfair. Nonetheless, I voted 'yes' because I can't stand it when others pull that "bias" crap on my submissions.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Every movement has a leader. Ken Hutcherson has appeared on television shows making his case for a boycott. Personally, I don't think what he is doing is fair to Microsoft, but with a hot button issue like gay marriage and anything resembling gay marriage, the visceral reaction could be far-reaching.

The question is, will Microsoft be as vulnerable as other corporations and will people be willing to buy Macs or load Linux to make a point? Another issue is the broad-reaching humanitarian work done by Bill Gates and Microsoft. Will Microsoft's support for one piece of legislation be enough to negate the positive effect of billions donated to very worthy causes?

Bill Gates has never been a sweetheart of a guy. He has always fought against the mainstream ideals of geekdom and still he is the computer software king. I don't think the gay rights issue is going to be the death knell for Microsoft, nor do I think it should be.

Is the article biased? To some degree, yes, but it is factual and the issue is real.

[edit on 05/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I completely agree with this statement:

There may be some who might make their computer and software decisions on the basis of politics, but I can't see most consumers doing so. Microsoft would probably have done better to have attended to their own internal policies and to have avoided the issue of legislation altogether

I work for a large corporation and they have recently changed thier benefits to cover live in partners, same sex or otherwise. If you chose to elect benefits that cover someone that lives with you as a parter, you are required to show proof, like bills or a joint banking account in both of your names. Microsoft would have been better off just changing thier internal policies rather than trying to change the laws.

Just the name "Microsoft" instills a fear into some people. They have the most widely used operating system there is, and all the money to prove it. So when you hear thier name mentioned backing some legeslation the thought must cross your mind that you should probably research it to find out if they are doing it to gain something for themselves or if they are really trying to give back to the people.

[edit on 5/14/2005 by Apration]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
For some reason, I see this all as a bunch of hot air.

The "boycoters" (I refuse to use religious right yet since this is still too isolated to be attributed to a whole movement) are most likely to ignorant to know what other operating systems are out there.

I also doubt that they are going to rush out and buy Macs.

There will be a bunch of preaching. Some name calling. People being declaired sinners. Others saying that Microsoft is not content with defining computer operating systems, they now want to define a family.

I'll sit, have to deal with this on cable news for a few weeks, and then no one will even remember it.

-O

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I never could understand what there is against gays except for the word of a few books that have probably been edited a hundred times. Anyhow this is one of the few times I'm happy to see a corporation back legislation. It's nice to see Microsoft is doing the right thing, even if a bunch of religous nuts start calling them sinners.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I agree cyberdude!

I think perhaps Microsoft knows what percentage of these simpletons use computer products, and what percentage of computer-users think about gay rights.

BTW: Gay is the new Black.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
You know, I never thought I'd find myself rooting for Microsoft and Bill Gates

Who are the fundamentalists going to buy their software from now?
Apple, another famously gay-friendly company?

Linux, which many on the Right seem to see as stealth Communism?

I hope Rev Hutcherson has an abacus handy...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Who are the fundamentalists going to buy their software from now?
Apple, another famously gay-friendly company?

I was about to say the same thing.

Check out this from a religious right website (might want to skip about 1/3rd down).

objective.jesussave.us...

Sounds like many religous fundamentalists already have a hate-on for Mac.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
"That's right, new Macs are based on Darwinism! While they currently don't advertise this fact to consumers, it is well known among the computer elite, who are mostly Atheists and Pagans. Furthermore, the Darwin OS is released under an "Open Source" license, which is just another name for Communism. They try to hide all of this under a facade of shiny, "lickable" buttons, but the truth has finally come out: Apple Computers promote Godless Darwinism and Communism."

LOL

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
LOL Hajduk, thanks, what a great link!

But there are even darker undertones to this company than most are aware of. Consider the name of the company and its logo: an apple with a bite taken out of it. This is clearly a reference to the Fall, when Adam and Eve were tempted with an apple by the serpent. It is now Apple Computers offering us temptation, thereby aligning themselves with the forces of darkness.

[edit on 5/15/05 by xmotex]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hajduk

Originally posted by xmotex[/i

Check out this from a religious right website (might want to skip about 1/3rd down).

Sounds like many religous fundamentalists already have a hate-on for Mac.

Wow, I just read that whole article and the writer sounds like a real kink.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think this site is a parody. Having grown up in a fundamentalist christian home and my father having been a minister, I think I know enough about the faith to know satire when I see it. Unfortunately, the site links to legitimate christain sites for effect. If nothing else can convince you, I think this will:

How To Be A Mall Missionary

Shoppers deluded by Secular Consumerism wandering a mall in a futile search for spiritual fulfillment. In our society - immersed as it is in the cultural war with Secularism - perhaps the most important mission a Christian can undertake is to spread the Gospel to those who are being shielded from its Truth. This is what the Mall Mission intends to do. We will go into the dank belly of the Secular beast and pull out those it has swallowed, delivering them into the daylight of Salvation. Using the best tools available - the Word of the Lord, inspired witnessing, and informational pamphlets - We will bring to those unfortunates the Good News that they are not mere "consumers", that they are instead children of the Lord.

[...]

Mall Walkers

Perhaps the saddest of the bunch, senior citizens who have been abandoned by their Secularized family and youth-orientated Secular jobs who spend all their time circling malls under the deluded pretense of getting exercise. While they tend to not purchase things, they have still been indoctrinated to think that there is no other place for them to go in their twilight years except the Temple of Secular Consumerism. Let them know that instead of being Mall Walkers, they can be Church Walkers! Your Church can offer these pathetic and lonely people much more comfort than the cold, heartless mall can.

[...]

Catchy slogans help to grab the short attention of the consumption-addled unsaved, be sure to employ them on all your handouts and especially when first approaching a potential ex-consumer. The more cryptic or unusual sounding, the better, since it will cause the person to be curious as to what you are talking about. Some good examples are:

"Jesus will save you more than 50%... He'll save you 100%!"
"Salvation is one size fits all!"
"Why go to a Gap when you can come to Agape?"

Wendy Tullar

[edit on 05/5/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
For what its worth.

I've always thought that stupidity should be painful -- and in truth, it is. Stupid people do not tend to live as long as smart people. However, they have learned to compensate by breeding early and often, which is why the human genetic pool is not improving at a more rapid rate, if at all. As time wears on I'm more inclined to agree with the concept of "punctuated equilibrium" as being the normal evolutionary path. Nowdays, as I read about the re-emergence of Creationist -vs- evolutionist discussions, lawsuits, and outright fights and about such things as gay marriage & hidden homesexual agendas, etc., etc., ... I'm convinced that God has a "Hell" of sense of humor. I'm also somewhat curious as to what event or castrophe, or series of such events or castrophes could bring about the next major evolutionary changes and whether or not "intelligence" would fare well in the next go around. For if one looks at planet earth through history, particularly at the changes imposed on the planet by mankind, one might reach the conclusion that mankind is nothing more than a virulent infection.

Just out of idle curiousity, what does a "Consumer Rehabilitator" do? Do they teach people not to consume?

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAAHAHAH

so the religious right is feeling ballsy...
with cahones like that, why don't they do something truly useful, like save lives by promoting world peace and tolerance...

oh yeah... that gets less media publicity...

instead they take on the uselessly arrogant task of putting microsoft out of business...
let me tell ya... if it could be done, it would be done...
it aint

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Let them boycott Microsoft. We would probably see less of the drivel they post on the internet and other places. They sure would not drive Microsoft out of business or even seriously hurt them, but they would have less opportunity to get on the net and publish.

I say that in confidence that they don't own Macs because of things such as one of the previous postings.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
that's okay, boycotts are being threatened from the other direction too.

what will the outcome be if these big mega-corporations find themselves being boycotted no matter what stand they take....maybe they'll keep the opinions (and political contributions) to themselves.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Lets see those right wing fanatics try to install linux on their machines!!

now there is some comedy.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
that's okay, boycotts are being threatened from the other direction too.

what will the outcome be if these big mega-corporations find themselves being boycotted no matter what stand they take....maybe they'll keep the opinions (and political contributions) to themselves.

If I thought for one instant boycotts would have such an effect I would be happy to join in. What do the various PAC's make, or do, that we can boycott?

new topics

top topics

join