It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Calls Operation Matador a Success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The U.S. military pronounced its weeklong offensive near the Syrian border as "successful" and that it had "neutralized" a rebel sanctuary and killed more than 125 insurgents. In the Iraq-Syria border operation, many more suspected insurgents were wounded and 39 with "intelligence value" were detained, the military said in a statement.

www.guardian.co.uk
The U.S. military pronounced its weeklong offensive near the Syrian border over Saturday, saying it had successfully neutralized'' an insurgent sanctuary and killed more than 125 militants.

During the weeklong operation, many more suspected insurgents were injured and 39 with ``intelligence value'' were captured, the military said in a statement. It provided no details about the detainees.

Nine U.S. Marines were killed and 40 injured during the campaign known as Operation Matador, during which American forces searched the Euphrates River villages of Karabilah, Rommana and Obeidi for followers of Iraq's most-wanted militant, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The pronouncement came hours after U.S. forces had encircled the Euphrates River village of Obeidi, causing frightened residents to flee indoors as American helicopters hovered overhead and military vehicles briefly rumbled through Obeidi's old quarter, meeting no resistance.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What I find funny is Iraqi fighters toting machine guns and grenade launchers walked the rubble-strewn streets of this town on the Syrian border Friday, setting up checkpoints and preparing to do battle amid a major U.S. offensive and one gunman whose face was covered with a scarf, said "We are all Iraqis."

Are Iraqis that ignorant to think someone would believe that story? All one has to do is watch TV and you will see most Iraqi men do not wear scarves that cover their face. That can only leave one conclusion and that is they were insurgents.

The good part of this is that another 125 insurgents are now dead and we have 39 possible sources to obtain new information from, that may lead to more suspects and perhaps their leaders.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
So you go around and kill a hundred people, call them insurgents, destroy aboandoned buildings, and call them command centers, and say it is a victory against terrorisum.

Who is fooled by this, as really nothing more then a military operation disquised as PR to raise support back home?

Heck some of the insurgents have BODY ARMOR when a lot of US troops still dont have thier own

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
LMAO, I like this quote

All one has to do is watch TV and you will see most Iraqi men do not wear scarves that cover their face. That can only leave one conclusion and that is they were insurgents.

Since TV shows it, it must be true! Sounds like someone trying to convince themself of something.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

LMAO, I like this quote

All one has to do is watch TV and you will see most Iraqi men do not wear scarves that cover their face. That can only leave one conclusion and that is they were insurgents.

Since TV shows it, it must be true! Sounds like someone trying to convince themself of something.

That is not the way I took the statement. I have never seen the majority of iraqi men wearing masks or scarves either. Sure you see some but certainly not the majority.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a lot of them put scraves around thier faces to make sure they dont start trying to inhale sand.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Am curious as to what the success is.

The only thing that Matador accomplished was scattering the bugs...kind of like when ya come home and turn the lights on, the roaches scatter.

Now the roaches have learned a couple new things and will adjust tatics accordingly. So what you kill a hundred, out of how many? 5000? What the hell is a hundred, granted its a start but not good enough.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
um hardcore american, scattering was the point of this operation, a scattered enemy is less effective and has to reorganise to keep fighting.

rpb

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i agree with noname ...
a scattered enemy is not an effective force, but now we must search them out and destroy them.....
the image of a man and woman ,hab\nd in hans jumping to their deaths is still in my mind....les we forget

rpb

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
sorry ya'll i do not type well

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
namehere,
i thought the object was to kill the enemy, not to leave them to fight another day.

the only thing we did was teach them some of our tactics. now they'll learn and now they will kill more of our soldiers.

I understand some will get away, but why scatter them? oh, you said a scattered army is less effective and has to reorganize to keep fighting.

Seems to me the insurgents are doin a damn fine job of killing OUR men and women for being a scattered army.

and the last time i checked these clowns were running around in groups of 6-10.

i also understand that you have to stop the flow of these guys across the syrian border. why have we not been doing this already?...maybe we have but, i doubt the U.S. is doing as much as it can.

on a side note,
seems to me lately that U.S. border control practices are really crappy. why is this?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The U.S. Military has a habit of proclaiming victory, whether it is true or not, whenever it has been publicized that they are going on a specific mission.

See: This wasn't a war, this was a massacre! a letter written by a U.S. Soldier stationed in Iraq.

And many more such letters, written by U.S. Military people who are/were there.

Also, I agree, seeing something on TV these days would almost make it a definate untruth, rather than the other way around.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
A guerilla force isa very difficult enemy to activly combat, especailly with an orginzied military. The end result is that the insurgents/terrorists/militants/enemy/bad guys show how oppresive and heavy handed the occupying force is when the slightest opposition to what THEY want conflicts with "true" muslim fanatical ideals

Too bad the Mass media has allready decided the war on terrorisum is a boring story to cover

join