It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found alien life! (or at least I think so)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
d1k

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray

I'm a bit surprised by your comments, Simon.

The OP came off very rude in his replies claiming people didn't know what they were talking about because they were asking him questions.

How did he know his signal was stronger then the wow signal, what were the specifics of it, when did it happen. Very simple answers he could have put forth yet he gave snotty replies claiming no one knows anything about SETI, as you have just did. I am pretty amazed that you are coming off as rude as the OP did.

Him finishing the WU had nothing to do with the first couple of questions put forth to him.

No one was attacking him, pepole asked some simple questions and it could be argued that he in fact attacked them in his replies to them.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by d1k]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Firstly, thanks to Simon Gray for the somewhat lengthy but sadly, needed explanation. The questions being asked were ones quite clearly explained by either me or S.E.T.I.

I would also like to know what leads you to conclude that this data blip is indeed of extraterrestrial origin?

Explained by S.E.T.I., and both myself and Jamuhn and pantha gave a links to people who didn't have S.E.T.I., and who shouldnt be around here anyway.

Then most of the replies were saying that what I had said was poorly explained, when 2, 3, and now 4 people have explained it.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think this thread as a whole is a good thing for all.. I will admit that until now I've had little interest in this subject.

When you think of the potential in this massive universe, it seems very possible that one day someone will capture a signal from another world.

I am willing to join in and learn more about this project.

In fact I am reading up on it more now.

It is always easy to be skeptical about something we know little about.

You have to ask yourself... What if?

What if you actually captured a transmission from an alien race of beings broadcast thousands of years ago from another world?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elija Black
It was bigger than the wow signal example in time, but nevertheless...

I do believe I have just helped prove alien existance.

So at the moment I'm trying to finish the workunit...

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Elija Black]

Which is not possible according to the SETI website you referenced.

"Note that in reality the "Wow!" signal could never be captured on SETI@home, becuse it originated in a part of the sky that is not covered by the Arecibo radio telescope. Furthermore, the signal bears the mark of the radio telescope that detected it, Big Ear. Whereas Arecibo's beam takes 12 seconds to cross any given point in the sky, Big Ear, with a wider beam, takes 37 seconds. As a result, the "Wow!" signal's gaussian is three times as wide as a genuine SETI@home signal would be."

Therefore, for your 'gaussian' 'wow' signal to be true for the arecibo telescope it would have to be shorter in time not longer.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well obviously is wasnt exactly the same, but yes, the last part is correct.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have a couple of questions that to the initiated will seem stupid, but if someone has the time, perhaps I could be educated.

1. If the original "Wow!" signal is still a mystery, why would we be looking for another one? Wouldn't its origin be just as mysterious, given all the possible origins? "Although we may never know what the "Wow!" signal really was, it is still our best indication of what an alien transmission might be like." If it's origin is still unknown, after nearly three decades, why is it the best indication of what a real signal might look like? Aren't space vehicles transmitting stuff all the time?

2. Even if we did find an artificial radio signal and verified that it did originate from alien life forms, or their instruments, unless it came from the vicinity of Alpha Centauri, wouldn't it likely be sent from a point so far away that who ever received our response might not be around to receive it?

[edit on 05/5/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
2. Even if we did find an artificial radio signal and verified that it did originate from alien life forms, or their instruments, unless it came from the vicinity of Alpha Centauri, wouldn't it likely be sent from a point so far away that who ever received our response might not be around to receive it?

Yeah, so? Search for ExtraTerrestrial Life. The goal is to find it, not talk to it.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Both valid points. Well, the first one is a very good question. Surely if they found the signal, why look for another? And the second, yes, they will be dead, but they probably have history books, or at least something along those lines.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Bit early to speculate or make fantastic claims. I beleive its a long drawn out and complicated process of checking and double checking the signal from other sources before any apparent WOW signal is confirmed, much less proven to be from intelligent source, much less extraterrestrial life.
Wishful thinking freind, though IT would be nice if it were so.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
So uhmmm, where can i get this software.

I have a screensaver running for years now, but it is not the program that you guys use or i am just a dumb pig with anal problems..

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hi if you really have found a Alien Signal then you will need to know what it will look like if you follow this URL then you will be able to see what a Alien Signal will look like.

URL - www.planetary.org...

FOLLOW THIS LINK to see what a real Alien Signal will look like mate

Lataz

alex1981

I think i got a wow signal! It was right at the start of a new workunit, and there wasnt much power, then at the middle of the frequency there was a gaussian. It was bigger than the wow signal example in time, but nevertheless...

I do believe I have just helped prove alien existance.

So at the moment I'm trying to finish the workunit...

[edit on 18/4/06, by alex1981]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
ok im sorry but all you are doing is being a you know what to everyone saying how they dont know anything about SETI and blah blah blah. when in fact all you are doing is posting links to other websites saying hey guys this is what my signal looks like. PLEASE..... give me a break. all you are doing is beating around the bush and not giving us any proof of your so called i think i have proof of alien existance. a signal stronger then the wow signal. yea somebody is full of crap. still waiting for your "workunit" there buddy

[edit on 7-3-2007 by xHADEEZx]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadscholar

Most people who replied to this thread have asked questions that are answered on the S.E.T.I. site.

No, you've been asked to post your full findings, you've been asked for a screen cap, you've been asked for more details about your particular data.
i just think its funny how you never responded to this post looks like she called you out and called your bluff

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
U JAKK ASS!!!

U FUKKIN START OFF WIT i THINK!!!!

U DUMB ASS 4 GET YO STUPiD ASS ALiEN CASE!!!!!

U A DUMB MUTHAFUKKA!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join