It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found alien life! (or at least I think so)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Kept it as present tense though, as the outcome is 'undetermined'

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elija Black
Seems he/she is one of the only people who actually knows what I'm talking about.

Rather an arrogant comment, don't you think?

We all know exactly what you are talking about.

If anything comes of this, SETI will make the announcement.

False alarms such as this do more to harm the credibility of the project than anything.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I think i got a wow signal! It was right at the start of a new workunit, and there wasnt much power, then at the middle of the frequency there was a gaussian. It was bigger than the wow signal example in time, but nevertheless...

I do believe I have just helped prove alien existance.

Thats from 9 days ago.

/yawn irl

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It wasnt arrogant, just true. Most people who replied to this thread have asked questions that are answered on the S.E.T.I. site.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Elija Black]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Most people who replied to this thread have asked questions that are answered on the S.E.T.I. site.

No, you've been asked to post your full findings, you've been asked for a screen cap, you've been asked for more details about your particular data.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yes, actually they intercepted a transmission from an alien life form, It seems to be using some form of sign language.. needs further analysis, but here is a peek at it:

Lighten up a little people... Until we know for sure what do we really know?

Gazz

[edit on 14-5-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hi There !

Now, what is it your talking abut that could be important to the ATS Memebers or Ufological interests that we can both learn from ?

Dallas

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Lighten up a little people... Until we know for sure what do we really know?

2 + 2 = 5

Whenever I've gotten an anomoly with SETI, the WU ends right there and is sent back so they can check it. It possible it's a case of this, but I'd love to see a screenshot. (hard to get though)

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Would of, but I was pretty shocked so I missed it.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
i personally hope you did actually find what you claim you did although i find it to be very unlikely i really hope you did.

d1k

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It wasnt arrogant, just true. Most people who replied to this thread have asked questions that are answered on the S.E.T.I. site.

Not true, multiple people have asked you why you think it's an actual signal and you didn't answer any of them. You posted a link to a write up on people seeing spikes and gave rude replies claiming we don't know anything about seti.

Instead of sounding like an ass it would be pretty easy for you to say "well I saw a a strong signal in my screen saver". But as you and we all know that does not come anywhere close to finding a real signal, so in fact this thread was just a big waste of everyones time. Countless people see spikes in their data, I think you're the one who really does not know what he's talking about.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by d1k]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I did actually.

I think i got a wow signal! It was right at the start of a new workunit, and there wasnt much power, then at the middle of the frequency there was a gaussian.

That was my first post.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Elija Black]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
why keep this thread going? - attention ?

my last post here

(vanish)

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
To say that this thread has been a waste of time is a bit unfair. As I said earlier , I , amongst several others that I know of , have been caught out by what looked to be something totally out of the ordinary in the graphics of the screensaver. The SETI program can be pretty confusing to the new user, and it can also be hard to get screenshots of peaks as sometimes it's a case of blink and you miss it or you're too busy watching it to remember to hit the printscreen button.
This forum always used to be about helping others out and encouraging those who have chosen to take part in this project , we all have the same goal after all.
I think a bit more tolerance from many in this thread wouldn't have gone amiss on all sides.

I think that this thread has now served it's purpose in pointing out what we should and shouldn't be looking for. Perhaps I can get someone to close it now, and in the event that Elija does hear something back from SETI about this work unit, he could make a new thread about it as this one has now dropped to the level where we have a totally uneccesary all smilies post from vaportrail

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I've re-opened this thread to add a few comments which I hope will be taken in by ALL people who responded to Elija Black's original post.

So many comments have been made that basically are attempting to agitate and incite Elija. I can tell that the majority of people who commented here have never used the SETI program nor even bothered to visit the SETI@Home website before responding.

Elija said he discovered (or at least I think so) alien life through the SETI@Home program. His assumption is based on the Wow Signal as SETI calls it, of a narrow band gaussian signal that they believe is potentially indicative of alien life due to the nature of this signal and why it would be mathematically reasonable to assume such a signal indicates life also.

User Lysergic posts just 11 minutes after Elija's introduction "I wonder how many pages this will span and nothing turning up." Guess what, the page filled up with rediculous comments because hardly anyone understood the SETI@Home program just as is stated by Elija 9 minutes after his original post.

Guess what people, completing work units takes time. While my PC is capable of completing one in just over an hour, some people only run them a few minutes every day or perhaps once a week.

Arguing that Elija is taking too long is beyond his/her (sorry) control.

People, instead of flaming and rediculing a user over something you don't obviously understand in the first place, why not research a little before posting a response!

On completing the work units, all data is sent to SETI and there is nothing on your system once it completes to keep for yourself. You are carrying out tedious and boring work for a larger purpose. At the time the signal was identitifed by his version of the program, purpose Elija had no way to capture the screen image. There are quite a few reasons Elija may not be capable of providing evidence to us. After all, I was the first person on the ATS SETI@Home team, I created it, I know what it is like to think you've found something! You get excited and want to tell someone ASAP.

Should the work unit turn out to be a milestone or even a cool random occurrence, SETI will no doubt post an announcement on their website and let Elija know.

All credit to Elija if he even identified a narrow-band guassian signal that turns out to be of non-extra-terrestrial origin, as 99.9% of SETI@Home users will never identify anything!

[edit on 16-5-2005 by SimonGray]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well, originally " (or at least I think so)" was not in the thread, and if someone was going to make such a bold claim I would've wanted some proof not guesswork. Sorry if I'm not ready to jump at everything I'm presented with, I mean how many people have claimed outrageous things on this site before, which turn out to be nothing??

User came off arrogant, I use to do the seti thing, you're telling me you can't hit PRINTSCREEN then paste the image into some sort of photoshop, or even word and let us have a glimpse?

Wasn't intention to make the thread into what it was but when someone makes such a BOLD claim I want proof, the " (or at least I think so)" was added much later.

If it turns out to be the real deal then I guess I'll have to say WTG! but I can only comment on what I've seen go on here before *glances at the alien and ufo forum*

Believe me, I wish they'd find something. - Forgive me for being skeptical or not.

205) Lysergic 91 661 hr 19 min 7 hr 16 min 02.3 sec Mon Mar 8 23:18:21 2004 United States

gee i wonder who that is?

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Lysergic,

There's a thick line between being skeptical and being cynical.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was under the impression, and correct me if I am wrong, that people using seti at home do not actually get the analysis of 'their' data. That the seti project uses your computer power to process info, but that you yourself don't have any idea as to whats going on.

I mean, obviously, they can't have 'my' computer let me know that there's been contact or anything. And certainly 'my' computer's information is going to go thru a real vetting process.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I was under the impression, and correct me if I am wrong, that people using seti at home do not actually get the analysis of 'their' data. That the seti project uses your computer power to process info, but that you yourself don't have any idea as to whats going on.

True. What SETI does, however, is have the screesaver on each version (except for cl) that displays the analysis. It's cool, pretty colors and all, but pretty boring. Means nothing to most people. But you can take a little time to figure out what the stuff shown means, and then, if you see something weird, like EB did here, then you might begin to suspect something and have some idea what it means.

Every cadidate WU is checked many times by SETI, but if they discover aliens, they will tell who's computer did it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join