It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Remains Envy of the World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
Schwarzenegger said this at the RNC and i think he is right. The hatred directed at america is fueled by jealousy and envy. They are jealous at how succesful we have been in just a couple of centuries. we have grown so much in such little time. Coming from a collection of colonies to ruling the world. The righteousness of americans also inspires hate. When the germans overran france who pushed them back, with of course britain. when the jews were being exterminated who helped liberate them?. Our economy is envied among all nations, our defense is desperatly coveted by our enemies and our freedom is desperatly sought. If this were not the case why do people risk their lives to flee cuba or mexico to live here?

OMG some people are just too stupid.....

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Really, why would anybody be envious of a nation that talks trash?

Because we got the bombs..

[edit on 14-5-2005 by C0le]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I love America because it's my home country. My great grandparents moved to New York from Italy and I have a much better life than I would have had they stayed behind. But frankly, I could see myself living in Canada, or Britain, or Sweden, or Norway, or The Netherlands, or France, or any of a number of countries.. and enjoying all, indeed MORE freedoms than I do here, inexpensive healthcare, subsidized higher education, a more promising economy, lower levels of violent crime, and the rule of fair law. And here's the best pit- highly reduced levels of patriotic, jingoistic bull# when I turn on the TV or look out the window.

Remember when a kid teased you on the playground when you were small and you'd go home upset and your mom would tell you, "it's ok.. they're just jealous?" Stop listening to Schwarzenegger and the other politicos trying to revert (or keep) you back to the mentality of an unthinking toddler. You want to know why people hate America? READ A BOOK!

-koji K

[edit on 14-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
"china's economy is doing better than yours"

Psst, infinite, chinas economy is booming because of america. we buy most of their junk, emphasis on JUNK, we also, not that I in any way agree with this are outsourcing to India and helping there economy.

Odd

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
America is better than your country, be it what it may. This is a relatively simple idea, but it is sternly corroborated by the incontrivertible fact that we could stomp any one of your sorry little weenie nations into the ground in about thirty minutes.

Mutually assured destruction is all well and good, but it's hard to launch a nuclear weapon if all of your silos, and most of your major cities, have been converted to hydrogen vapor. All we'd need is a bit of initiative, and maybe a couple of interceptor missiles, which we could have ready any day now if we decided to build them.

If you don't like it, there are plenty of other planets out there; you are welcome to them, until we decide that we want them too.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

as posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Really, why would anybody be envious of a nation that talks trash?

Ermm, probably because we can back that trash, maybe?

Your neck of the neighborhood can do what in comparison?

seekerof

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
If we in America want to talk the talk, we have to be able to walk the walk.

Yes, 20 kilotons of fun in 30 minutes or less makes one hell of a statement. Or would that be a whole lot of 'walking?'

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
America is better than your country, be it what it may. This is a relatively simple idea, but it is sternly corroborated by the incontrivertible fact that we could stomp any one of your sorry little weenie nations into the ground in about thirty minutes.

Mutually assured destruction is all well and good, but it's hard to launch a nuclear weapon if all of your silos, and most of your major cities, have been converted to hydrogen vapor. All we'd need is a bit of initiative, and maybe a couple of interceptor missiles, which we could have ready any day now if we decided to build them.

If you don't like it, there are plenty of other planets out there; you are welcome to them, until we decide that we want them too.

Originally posted by seekerof
Ermm, probably because we can back that trash, maybe?

Your neck of the neighborhood can do what in comparison?

Originally posted by X_maninblack_x
Yes, 20 kilotons of fun in 30 minutes or less makes one hell of a statement. Or would that be a whole lot of 'walking?'

Wow, I think my post was a major success! I didn't have to prove my argument, all three of you did it for me!

Be proud you three, you are the faces of what the rest of the world hates so much about America. Always wanting to kill and destroy somebody while claiming we're helping somebody. Wait, why be proud, you three are degrading America, which is something you just don't do.

Seeker, you asked me what my neck of the neighborhood can do in comparison. Well, not much. Potomac, Maryland isn't known for being able to exert the same kind of force and destruction the U.S. government has become famous for.

Answer your question?

[edit on 14-5-2005 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
wow...the level of posting gets better and better at ATS....so good in fact that it brought out this quote from a moderator, no less:

"Ermm, probably because we can back that trash, maybe?
Your neck of the neighborhood can do what in comparison?"

wow... where do the grownups here go to discuss things???

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Voice_of Doom]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom
wow...the level of posting gets better and better at ATS....

where do the grownups here go to discuss things???

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

The guy who made this probably just did it for points. Kind of a pointless thread. I'm trying to figure out why I posted in it.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Who gives a damn about points? What do you want to buy with them? An email account? A background colour? A kidney? I would love to see all intelligent ATS members ignore these immature and ignorant threads. It would be great if we could coordinate a mass troll ignore operation, but I know that's impossible to do.

Let this thread be an example of why I am losing faith in ATS. We had that whole "Black Band" period last month expressing shame in the polarisation of ATS. Yet we have these stupid threads continuing to pop up and get support by not only members but moderators too.

I feel ATS is past the point of no return. This is the way it is and will always be.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Most people don't hate America. Most people are actually pretty indifferent and view the U.S. as just another country - with both many strengths and weakenesses.

People condemn the U.S. for some of it's policies, but it's not a hate for America as much as it is just for the policies. Many people dislike the policies of other countries as well.

It's not that the U.S. is the only target, but the U.S. does have the largest control of information than any other country on the planet, therefore issues involving America get much more attention than anywhere else in the world. For example, 9/11 has been brandied about like it was the worst thing to ever happen, yet tragic events on a more grander scale occur all the time that the U.S. media and citizens largely ignore. So from an American point of view, it might seem like America gets an unfair share of "hate", but the media doesn't report on everything.

Another example is how American news networks always showed Iranians burning American and Israeli flags. They made it look like Iran was only targeting the U.S., however Iranians were also very active at protesting against Soviet imperialism as well and burned Soviet Union flags.

Another thing to remember is that there is an American presense in every corner of the world, whether it is military, corporate, or civilian. This creates a larger "target" to display negative feelings against or to target other purposes. People in several countries may disagree with the policies of another country like Canada or Argentina, but because those countries do not project their power all over the place, they are going to be targeted less for acts of discontent or "hate".

So just to reiterate, it is nothing personal against the U.S. per se, but American foreign policy (like projecting its power everywhere) does make it a larger and more convenient target.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Hajduk]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hajduk
So just to reiterate, it is nothing personal against the U.S. per se, but American foreign policy (like projecting its power everywhere) does make it a larger and more convenient target.

I beg to differ.

It's not about being a 'convenient target', it's about an arrogance and hypocracy that is truly global. On a personal level, I was fairly pro-american until I actually spoke to some of them, here and in person.
You can say the anger is directed against the government as much as you like but the fact remains that this is the government you elected and that is the face you portray to the world.

The image the rest of the world has is a nation of fat, greedy, money-obsessed a-holes who don't give a s%%t about anything unless they stand to benefit from it.

I admired america once and hopefully i will again.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee

You can say the anger is directed against the government as much as you like but the fact remains that this is the government you elected and that is the face you portray to the world.

I didn't elect them. I don't even live in the United States.

I will agree to disagree with you. I think most people who criticize America do differentiate between ordinary people and foreign policy. There are of course those who do not, just as there are Americans who do not differentiate between ordinary people in France and their country's policies, or ordiary people in China and their foreign policies - but for the most part, I think people in general are smart enough to differentiate the 2.

A government that is elected does not necessarily reflect the wishes of the people. Although quite often, governments will convince the people what their wishes should be I guess. Most people who vote really don't know what they want and depend on the elected government to tell them.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Hajduk]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hajduk
[I didn't elect them. I don't even live in the United States.

I will agree to disagree with you. I think most people who criticize America do differentiate between ordinary people and foreign policy. There are of course those who do not, just as there are Americans who do not differentiate between ordinary people in France and their country's policies, or ordiary people in China and their foreign policies - but for the most part, I think people in general are smart enough to differentiate the 2.

The majority of Americans I have met, either online or in person have been arrogant, self-aggrandising braggarts.

The title of this thread just sums it up nicely.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
so chris you are seeing this as a result of those amiricans that you have personaly met? so personal experiances are a semi-valid way to make up an opinion. well i'm not trying to be rude here, but how many have you met overall? how many are you friends with? have you ever been to the states?

i know many americans, i am even half american myself. just as i have met many that are arrogant, rude, self serveing, self centered and copleate (bleeps). i know and have met many who are not. i have met careing, shareing, honest and those that have great integraty. just as with any other nation or race for that matter, includeing my home. that is just a fact of life. i almost wonder if some people have met decent upstanding americans and just asumed tht they were from somewhere else?

i do not agree with many things about the states. especialy this war that they wrongfuly initiated. however i can not hold that against all americans as that would just be predudicial. judge everyone according to THEIR deeds and conceptions, do not presume that are all alike as that is indeed where prdudace comes from. just the same as i may not support every decision from my government it is ovious that not all americans support theirs. this is just the same as all german's were not natzies. and should all not be judged onmass for the actions of a few.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Agreed. Points grab.

Locking this waste of space...if you have a problem with that, use the complaints link.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join