It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim world condems the koran desecration By U.S interrogators

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:54 AM
First this website's motto is deny ignorance and I am shocked that no one is covering this important issue.I even cannot find a link at CNN.The only link i could find is from
Would this issue cause WW3,would saudi arabia stop oil supplies to U.S or was this news spread delibrately by the illuminati in a classic problem-reaction-solution scenario?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:06 AM
Few hundreds of protesters are not the "muslim word". And the koran desecretation (still only rumour) is just excuse for anti american agenda produced by fundamentalists in Afganistan. It's not the real reason for demonstrations.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by longbow]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:21 AM
Yeah, i think they said last night on the news it was a MUSLIM not an american that flushed the koran.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:31 AM
Even the site says it's only a rumour. And if even IndiaDaily can't claim it to be true....

from IndiaDaily
No one knows were the rumor started from or if it is true!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:37 AM
Actually it came from a Newsweek article. It was basically one sentence that mentioned that some unsourced person said it might have happened. The military says that a Muslim prisoner actually ripped up a Koran to plug a toilet as an act of defiance.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:35 PM
From Yahoo:

KABUL (Reuters) - Afghan President Hamid Karzai urged the United States on Saturday to prosecute and punish anyone found guilt of desecrating the Koran... Newsweek magazine said in its May 9 edition investigators probing abuses at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay found that interrogators "had placed Korans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet".

There is one problem here. What is the crime? It is not against the law to put any book on any toilet under any US jurisdiction. I've got a Bible on my flushbox for occasional light reading, and it is not disrespect or illegal, just convenient reading. And if it gets flushed? Stopped pipes, maybe. Roto-rooter, sure. But a crime? Not.

There are matters of concern in this war. We should act honourably.

But this- as described- was no 'crime'.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:08 PM
Flushing a book is not a crime, but when a military interrogater takes the symbol of a person's religious faith and desecrates it to cause distress, it's a different matter. Did it happen? I don't know, but I hope it's investigated.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:14 PM
I'm gonna desecrate a Quran.

Next, I'll desecrate the Bible.

Fair is fair, right?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I'm gonna desecrate a Quran.

Next, I'll desecrate the Bible.

Fair is fair, right?

Don't forget the book of Mormon

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Flushing a book is not a crime, but when a military interrogater takes the symbol of a person's religious faith and desecrates it to cause distress, it's a different matter.

I thought the whole point to military interrogations were to cause distress.

To bad people get upset with rumors and hearsay. A true news magazine should never run a story from a unsourced person, facts only please. It sounds as if they were trying to inflame the Muslim world with half-truths and lies.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:37 PM
If its true who cares? What better way to get to these people, killing them obviously doesnt hurt them, they want to die, Sounds like a good tactic to me, If it offends anyone other then the guy they are doing it to, boo ****'n hoo.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:21 PM

About 1,500 Gazans protested the alleged desecration of the Koran at the U.S. prison camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in a May 13 march organized by Hamas. The demonstrations took place in the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza; some protesters carried Hamas banners and others burned Israeli and U.S. flags.

Hamas will use any excuse to raise local hostility against the US + Israel and thus gain political influance. Had they realy cared about that rumor they wouldn't have burned the Israeli flag (no one thinks Israel has anything to do with this).

Not only that ,but why is it OK to burn even US flags? A Muslim symbol shouldn't be desecrated but an American (and Israeli) is fine? They weren't even interogating anyone. Such a double-standard in the Muslim world. It's disgusting how US and Israeli flags are burned all the time in demonstrations with no need of even the smallest justification. Everyone afraid the touchy Muslims would start WWIII and you'll see that soon many politicians would start apologising and promising things. Why souldn't the Muslims be weary of burning flags for fear of WWIII? Who do they think will win?

Also as an interrogation this is so mild comperd to what Arab countries do to their prisoners it's laughable. Not to mention how they treat religious minorities. Occasional desecration of the Bible wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Parmenides]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:36 PM
The US is investigating this allegation, but the story doesn't seem to have much substance. It has been reported that the only reference to such an issue, except for the five lines published by "Newsweek," is a log entry documenting a prisoner trying to stop up a toilet with pages from the Koran. It is a shame that people are dying for what someone called an "alleged allegation." When will some people learn that the river bed is not the river? It's okay to decapitate innocent people, but let there be a rumor that someone tore a page out of a book and there's international Muslim outrage.

[edit on 05/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:39 PM
just so you know military even police interrigation is a form of tourture. it just normaly dosn't have the phisical type. mental and phycological torture are still torture.

we could go in circles till the end of times with every one claimeing that this desicration is a valid excuse for another desicration. two wrongs don't make a right, dosn't anyone remember this little fact? so they may have been wrong in burning a flag, but in my opinion that is nowhere near the wrong of being sacreligious in burning a holy book, not that it realy matters.

it is far pased time to get out of iraq releaseing all the illigal prisoners. there was NO EXCUSE for invadeing a sovern nation. the initial attack was to suposdidly to root out weapons of mass destruction. you will note that weapons of mass destruction were even used in this attack. so get off the "moral" soapbox and see how hypicritical that act alone was. nor is "democracy" a valid reason. democracy is all well and good, UNTILL you shove it upon people who have no wish for it. these people did not CHOOSE DEMOCRACY, but had it forced upon them.

as such NOTHING that has been done from the inital point of attack has been RIGHT. it is time to end the TYRONY in iraq.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:34 AM

I've got a Bible on my flushbox for occasional light reading, and it is not disrespect or illegal, just convenient reading.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Chakotay]

The Bible ? That's pretty heavy reading for the crapper if you ask me. I've got the Maltin's and Time Out Film Guides. Each to their own I guess.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:44 AM
Sorry about the book getting flushed...but I'm busy fight wahabist from Suadi Arabia who just creeped into the U.S across our open borders!

Oh and btw does Suaudi Arabi, home of Islam, even allow people to discuss the Bible openly without getting punished, or perhaps their head lopped off?

Answer: No!

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Parmenides
A Muslim symbol shouldn't be desecrated but an American (and Israeli) is
fine? Such a double-standard in the Muslim world.... Everyone afraid the
touchy Muslims would start WWIII ...

Oh man. I sure wish I had a 'way above' vote left for this month.
You are sooooo right. It's okay for them to burn American flags,
destroy christian bibles, and call for the deaths of anyone who
doesn't believe in their religion ... but a rumor that a koran may
have slipped into a toilet somewhere and they get all upset.
HEY ... we don't even have to supply the little monster terrorists
with a Koran at all .. but we do. The terrorists jailed at GITMO
all get their Korans, and their prayer mats and visits from a real
Muslim spiritual leader in addition to food that is prepared in the
'proper' muslim way. I'm sure that any Christian prisioners in
terrorist hands would definately NOT be getting a bible or a visit
from a priest to give him Communion on Sunday, or gettin Fish on
Fridays during Lent.

As someone else said - boooo frick'n hoooo!! I don't care.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:08 AM
I hope the individuals at Newsweek are pleased with themselves.

They have managed to inflame (more) Islamic hatred of the US, and they are directly responsible for causing several deaths of the people rioting in protest.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:04 PM
There's something I want to know... as far as I have read on the news, chairman Richard Myers (JCS) has said repeatedly that the only incident he knows about is the ALLEGED use of the koran by an INMATE to block a toilet. Obviously, over the coming days it may be proved that American interrogators themselves are also guilty of it, but I would be surprised if they were... torture can be justified on some level, but I would find it hard to see a good reason for this kind of 'desecration'. So my question is: doesn't this seem a bit over-spun at the moment?

Another thing - and I hope I don't come off as racist in saying this - but isn't declaring a holy war over this a bit much? Lets not forget that in 2000 or 2001, Palestinian terrorists holed up inside the Church of the Nativity, one of Christianity's most sacred sites... and the Pope didn't declare a Holy war on the Palestinian authority, or on muslims.

The fires of the world trade center burned for quite a while after the collapse, and some of the fuel for that must have been a number of Bibles and Old Testaments. I don't recall any clerics declaring a holy war on Al Qaeda. Or on the beheaders in Iraq, or the arab/chechen militias of beslan. So my question is, why is everyone acting like this alleged incident is something new, and a uniquely american evil worth declaring jihad over?

It seems like this has been happening more and more and more. The latest season of 24 (a show depicting a fictional war against terrorism) shows the hero fighting islamic terrorists, and people complain. Well, wonder where the makers of the show got THAT crazy idea huh?

Again, I don't mean to insult muslims out there. But I do believe that declaring a holy war over this issue is a staggering overreaction and that at some point the guys who issue these declarations need to be a little more objective in their approach.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:27 PM
Fox News is reporting that "Newsweek" has issued a statement that they are unable to confirm that interrogators ever flushed the Koran down a toilet and the supposed source cannot confirm that he actually saw the event. Newsweek has issued an apology for errors in their report and expressed regret for the lives lost in the resulting riots.

More as this story develops.

[edit on 05/5/15 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>