It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tuatha de Dannan: Aliens in Ireland?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The Tuatha de Dannan, in Irish mythology, were said to be fairy folk or the people of the Goddess Danu.

They were said to land in Ireland on a mountain in "ships of the sky"(UFO's?) that blotted out the sun for three days. Once they landed they burned their ships determined to stay in this land and conquered much of Ireland.

They were said to be masters of magic and that this is how they conquered Ireland so easily. They were said to have brought four great tresures, the Lia Fail (Stone of Destiny), a great flashing Spear, the deadly Sword of Nuada and the mighty couldron of the all powerfull God the Daghda, this couldron could satisfy all who ate from it.

I will be posting more information soon.

[edit on 14/5/05 by Atomix]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Very interesting but why would they conquer only ireland?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Interesting story indeed.

I found two links about Tuatha de Dannan:

www.irishmythology.com...

www.irishclans.com...

Aliens?
hmmm kinda far fetched but who knows. It happened long time ago, the story probably got distorted over the ages.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Very interesting but why would they conquer only ireland?

I'm not sure although there was a temple found under the Hill of Tara which was the legendary throne of the High Kings (Ri's) of Ireland. The Hill of Tara is now being excavated by archaelogists since the government has planned a new motorway which will come VERY close to the hill.

Thats the Hill of Tara.

There are many ancient sites in Ireland that suggest an advanced civilisation was there. I've found this site very useful: Mythical Ireland

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
The Tuatha de Dannan, in Irish mythology, were said to be fairy folk or the people of the Goddess Danu.

They were said to land in Ireland on a mountain in "ships of the sky"(UFO's?) that blotted out the sun for three days. Once they landed they burned their ships determined to stay in this land and conquered much of Ireland.

They were said to be masters of magic and that this is how they conquered Ireland so easily. They were said to have brought four great tresures, the Lia Fail (Stone of Destiny), a great flashing Spear, the deadly Sword of Nuada and the mighty couldron of the all powerfull God the Daghda, this couldron could satisfy all who ate from it.

I will be posting more information soon.

Where did you read the version that used the wording "ships of the sky?" Just curious as I'm fairly familiar with this myth and much of the mythology surronding it and I don't recall something like that. Certainly not saying your wrong, just interested in reading it myself.

The four mythical tribes that made up Ireland all sailed from different parts of the world and arrived in Ireland but the Tuatha de Dannan are just said to have come from the north. Not the sky as far as I have read and many of the myths directly talk about their ships on the sea. It's also important to note that while the Tuatha conquered some of Ireland from the Fir Bolg, another pseudo-mythical race, they were eventually defated by the Celts who were, according to myth and history, completely human.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Arcanum919]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcanum919

Where did you read the version that used the wording "ships of the sky?"

Its on Paperclips second link. Newgrange might also have been built by an advanced civillisation.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix

Originally posted by Arcanum919

Where did you read the version that used the wording "ships of the sky?"

Its on Paperclips second link. Newgrange might also have been built by an advanced civillisation.

Interesting. Given the Celtic/Irish preoccupation with mist that's kind of how I read that they were "sky ships" as ships that came sailing in with the mist and thus appeared to be part of the sky. When it says they landed on a mountaing I read that as they landed at the base of it, somwhere along the coast, not neccesarily as they landed from the sky on top of a mountain.
It seems, however, as some of these sights do litterally say the ships were flying ones and landed on top of a mountain, perhaps I have been reading it wrong.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's easy to see why aliens would have stopped in Ireland... It's probably the only place on the planet that was advertising restrooms.

Wait a minute... what if the whole earth is just a highway rest stop and Jay Lenno was right, they only come here to let their kids take a pee!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I've just read that they landed in the Iron mountains. thats in Co. Leitrim. I can't find any pictures of the mountains but I'll keep trying. Heres a map though

Anyway the Tuatha de Dannan arrived in Ireland about 4000BC and again I've read references to ships of the sky that blotted out the sun. Those tresures I talked about: The Stone of Destiny, which uttered a human cry when it was touched by the rightful king (Ri), the great spear which promised victory to those who wielded it, Nuada's sword, from whose stroke no one ever escaped or recovered, the Great Spear of Lugh which guaranteed victory to its wielder and the cauldron of The Dagda, The Undry, from which no one ever departed unsatisfied or under-nourished. Heres a picture of the Lia Fail (Stone of Destiny) at the Hill of Tara.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I dont quite see why aliens would travel billions of miles (or more probably) just to raise a stone that crys out when someone touches it.

The only thing I can imagine is an expeditionary force to once and for all try to interpret the irish language (and since they arent there now, my guess is that they failed)

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
hmm ships of the sky. the fact that they were burned upon landing. might they have been someting akin to diragables aka blimps? they would certainly be big enough to "blot out the sun" as well as being able to be burned. i would think that "spaceships" would be made out of a fireproof substance, that would make them a bit difficult to "burn".

we must bear in mind that we realy don't know squat about what the anchiants were capeable of. afterall i think it is rather narrow minded on our part to asume that they were all ignorant boobs. just look at the ideas that came from anchiant greece. that should serve as some proof that anchiant peoples had perfectly functioning "grey matter". so they didn't have todays standards of tech. that does not mean that they were incapeableable to do many things. heck we have had wooden airplaines and blimps. those realy not require such advances in materials. we even have "pedal" power aircraft today, something that could easily propel a blimp if needed.

the norse were capeable of building ships that were capeable of negotiateing the atlantic. we have found possible bateries in bagdad i believe it was. look at all the peramids arround the world made of huge stones. they surely had the brilliance to to be able to do those things. things that make us wonder about how such "primitive" peoples were able to acomplish them, even to the point of saying that some alians HAD to have helped them. look at those giant murals especialy in southern north america and south america. i think that it is more likely that the anchiant civilizations were flying some thing. possibly useing methods that we wouldn't even think of due to what we have available today.

there is a myth about someone flying too close to the sun, aka too high. this person i believes dies due to this. the story has it that the heat melts the wax causeing a fatel condition that causes the crash. well we know today that it is actualy colder the higher you go. BUT there is NOT ENOUGH OXYGEN TO BREATH as well as EXTREEM COLD. both of these could cause death and loss of conciousness. if a device is reliant upon human power, or constant attention to stay up. then this would cause someone to crash. i also beleive that the unlucky soul crashes into water makeing a propper investigation impossible. so any stoy would have to make an asumption based on how they thought things worked. this could very possibly wrongfully attribute the accident to the wrong cause. also why have such a cautionary tale if one can not actualy fly?

we lost more knowlage than anyone even thinks about dureing the dark ages. perhaps if such knowlage were not lost we would be liveing on mars today. we might never know for certain.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
It's easy to see why aliens would have stopped in Ireland... It's probably the only place on the planet that was advertising restrooms.

Wait a minute... what if the whole earth is just a highway rest stop and Jay Lenno was right, they only come here to let their kids take a pee!

Or Boobies!

Maybe that's the reason for that stone there too?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
haha i bet they got alittle "sidetracked" at a nice irish pub

its interesting, and i wonder if there is any truth behind the story?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I've found an online petition to save the Hill of Tara from the motorway construction. I've signed it, you better.......................

Save the Hill of Tara

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
hi, i just read this and i think its just a legend, im entitling everyone to their opinion, but atomix- do you REALLY believe that? ill know if youre being honest or not!

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I do believe it, maybe not aliens but an advanced civillisation. How will you know if I'm telling the truth?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i have my ways of knowin you mr. lowry... i mean atomix

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yes well....So I suppose there would be evidence of alien/advanced technology here then? I'm gonna go look that up

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well couldn't find anthing so I'm just gonna listen to all your problems and fears in life...and by that I mean your questions and views on the Tuatha de Dannan.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hey Atomix, Dia Dhuit

I would be interested to know if you have any information on the gateways to underground areas via the Rock of Cashel?

I don't remember hearing how the Tuatha arrived in Ireland, but I thought it was from the south. They all had red hair and fair skin apparently, which was not so commen back then.

I wonder how it would all tie in with the stories of Tir na Nog??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join