It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. says Serbs still in denial over war crimes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sickening

BELGRADE, May 12 (Reuters) - Most Serbs still do not believe their forces committed atrocities in Croatia, Bosnia or Kosovo, a senior United States diplomat said on Thursday, so the idea of holding war crimes trials in the country is problematic.

U.S. charge d'affaires Roderick Moore, speaking at a seminar in Belgrade, said Serbs widely failed to recognise that their countrymen had committed war crimes, making it difficult for the judiciary to prosecute and convict perpetrators.

Moore said less than half of Serbia's population believed that 7,000 Muslim men and boys were massacred in Srebrenica in 1995 by the forces of Bosnian Serb Army commander Ratko Mladic, despite the testimony of witnesses, graves found and even the admission of Bosnian Serbs.

"Only 37 percent believe it is a war crime and only 38 percent believe Mladic should go to The Hague to answer for the crime," the envoy said.

Polls show the level of denial is similar for other atrocities, such as the killing of some 200 prisoners of war in Vukovar in Croatia in 1991, or for the 800 Kosovo Albanian bodies buried in Serbia during the 1999 war and found later.

"Your society doubts the crimes happened at all," he said.

Sickest thing I ever heard in my life. The Hague, the UN and EU are useless. I am so distgusted by this.

Edit: forgot the link

[edit on 5/13/2005 by Croat56]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Moore said less than half of Serbia's population believed that 7,000 Muslim men and boys were massacred in Srebrenica in 1995 by the forces of Bosnian Serb Army commander Ratko Mladic, despite the testimony of witnesses, graves found and even the admission of Bosnian Serbs.

"Only 37 percent believe it is a war crime and only 38 percent believe Mladic should go to The Hague to answer for the crime," the envoy said.

It's not surprising.
It's always difficult to admit that your country had commited war crimes.
How many Americans think the thousands slaughered in Fallujah in 2004 was a war crime?
It's probably even less than 37%.
To them, they were just insurgents or people who were helping insurgents.
Why would the Serbs feel any different?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
It's not surprising.
How many Americans think the thousands slaughered in Fallujah in 2004 was a war crime?

I dont evan believe that they dont think anything happened. They know full well what they did and their proud of it. This pic proves it

Flame-baiting image removed

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
[Mod Edit: to remove seditious remarks]

[edit on 16-5-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
that banner (from some "albanian connection" website) is offensive and insulting. it only proves that you visit islamic sites.

i am a serb and i certainly do not specialize in ethnic cleansing. infact serbia (excluding the un administered south province of kosovo & metohija) is the only country in former yugoslavia that IS multi ethnic. ironic isn't it.

don't forget muslims, croats and albanians are being tried at the hague aswell.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
and lets not forget why Croatia wasnt invited to EU yet....can you say Gotovina?
Hero to some, murderer to others.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by blablablaxyz
infact serbia (excluding the un administered south province of kosovo & metohija) is the only country in former yugoslavia that IS multi ethnic. ironic isn't it.

uhmmm what the hell are you talking about??!

If I may point out the obvious: BOSNIA is a multi ethnic country. In fact, the part controlled by legaly elected goverment, a part in which slight majority are muslims, is the only part that was multi-ethnic during and after the war. The part controlled by serbian extremists supported by serbian goverment was clensed from non-serbs, hence the term ethnic cleansing.

You might have not been involved in the ethnic cleansing personaly, but tens of thousands of other serbs were.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
and lets not forget why Croatia wasnt invited to EU yet....can you say Gotovina?
Hero to some, murderer to others.

Murderer? Defending your home is murder? God forbid I should shoot a robber coming into my house! Screw the EU we dont need them anyway.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
hahha, I just noticed what a happy bunch we have here:
croat, bosniak, serb.

We have to get Souljah here, I think he is from Slovenia, and also somebody from Macedonia, then we can all sing "Od Vardara pa do Triglava..." for old times sake

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
hehe count me in as well, i kinda liked our old country

Croat i do not know a lot about the general except he is wanted , maybe he is just a sacrifficial lamb. Haag is a joke anyway, its all staged for political purposes

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

hehe count me in as well, i kinda liked our old country

hahaha!
Where are you from exactly? I'm guessing Serbia...

I love your signature, btw.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hey, did somebody call my name?

Od Vardara pa do Triglava, od Djerdapa pa do Jadrana!

AJMO U KOLO!

Count me in also!

As far as the Title is concerned - they probably dont WANT to belive.

Thats they root of the Problem.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
im in slovenia as well, actually part rusin part bosnian

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

as posted by AceOfBase
It's not surprising.

Comparing apples and oranges, AceOfBase.
You know it, I know it.
As such, the real reason then becomes a matterof your agenda in saying such, correct? :shk:

Getting back to the topic, I'm wondering if this new report/article has any bearing on what Croat56's article is implying?
UN finds Kosovo mass grave in ex-rebel stronghold

seekerof

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellraiser
yes, the albanian muslims have no place in there and should be executed.

This is a very disgusting comment and I am surprised that everyone in this room would allow this type of garbage talk slide by.

According to the 2000 Living Standard Measurement Survey of the Statistical Office of Kosovo[2] (www.sok-kosovo.org...), Kosovo's total population is approximately 1,970,000 with the following ethnic proportions:

88% Albanians (1,733,600)
7% Serbs (137,900)
1.9% Muslim Slavs (37,400)
1.7% Roma (33,500)
1% Turks (19,700)

en.wikipedia.org...

Hellraiser, I guess the Albanians do have a "place" there.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You see REASON thats the exact thing Im talking about here. They go around with their bull# propaganda like that.

And Seekerof yes I heard about that too, Im not Albanian so I cant defend it and I really dont know much about it. All I know about is what happened to my ppl.

Hey paperclip maybe I should get Mito over here too huh

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Hey, did somebody call my name?

Od Vardara pa do Triglava, od Djerdapa pa do Jadrana!

AJMO U KOLO!

Count me in also!

Thats what I'm talking about !

im in slovenia as well, actually part rusin part bosnian

ahhh, ok then

Ok, seriously now.

I think it is important that serbs admit what they have done in Bosnia (and in Croatia and Kosovo too), just like germans had to admit their guilt in holocaust. They have to learn in their school books that extremist serbs commited genocide and that it is WRONG to organize and support mass murder.. A significant number of serbs glorifies the acts of Mladic, Karadzic, Seselj, Arkan, Milosevic, as heroic acts. That doesn't help the peace process.

The goverment of Serbia has to officialy admit and say what happened in the balkan countries.

As long as everything is a matter of propaganda, hear-say, statements of various poiticians wihout official stance, serbian people will live in illusion that genocide in Bosnia never happened.

I am not talking about marking the serbs with collective guilt. No.
Bosnians have never demanded that. Quite the contrary. The serbs who refused to participate in genocide and who have remained in the part of Bosnia controlled by the goverment, have never been acused of genocide nor have they been harmed in any way just because they are serbs. They are part of our goverment, they have the same rights as everyone else.

We just want those who DID kill innocent people to be labeled as mass murderers and we want that the serbian govement admits the participation of Milosevic regime, of Karadzic, Mladic and paramilitary serbian forces in genocide. Only the guilty should pay for what they have done.

Originally posted by Croat56
Hey paperclip maybe I should get Mito over here too huh

Sure.

The more the merrier.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You got another Croatian here!

Well, my family moved Canada when I was very young, so I'm a little out of touch with the modern day politics of the region. My soccer coach in Vancouver was Serbian, but we didn't discuss things.

I think Serbia really needs to come clean on everything, and all sides need to open up some meaningful dialog. Having said that, anyone (Serb, Bosniak, or Croat) who is accused of crimes during the recent conflicts needs to be turned in and tried. There will never be true peace unless this happens.

Hey Croat56, I have a question.

Do you know if Croatia ever admitted guilt for the crimes of the Ustase? I have to admit that my fathers parents were Ustasha supporters and were executed at the end of world war 2. They did some pretty cruel things and I know many Serbians still feel victimized by that. I agree that Croatians and Bosnian Muslims were victims (for the most part) in the recent wars, but it sounds like there is still some dirt in the past perhaps stopping Serbia from accepting a true peace.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Hajduk]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
that dirt was a driving fuel of the genocide in Vukovar....by the time it came to Bosnia it was just pure slaughter. Im not talking about something i read, i had family members killed in Brcko in ways you couldnt imagine.

But expecting Serbs to admit to anything....if you know a few you know what im talking about...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm Croatian also, but in America. My mom and sister speak it, but I never learned. Anyway, nice to see so many here proud of their culture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join