It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Biometric Shopping Technology Coming To A Store Near You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
In a deal reached today between Pay By Touch, a biometrics payment company, and Cognet Systems, an automated fingerprint identification systems provider, is promising to make biometric shopping a service that you could find at many of the stores you visit in the near future. The two companies announced a deal to make the process of biometric payment cheaper and easier for merchants to provide. For those who are not so tech-savy, biometric shopping is a technology where all of your credit card, checking account and store loyalty info is linked to a consumers fingerprint. Uses for this technology are far reaching, by simply scanning your finger you could pay for products and services, cash checks, view previous purchases, and verify your identity, all without opening your purse or wallet. This technology when combined with RFID (radio transmiters placed in product packaging) could provide a time pressed consumer with the ultimate in "speedy checkout". Proponents of this technology point to the possibilities of faster, consumer friendly, secure payment processing, however this technology is not without controversy. The potential abuses of this technology has been a hot topic on internet conspiracy related web sites and among privacy groups.

biz.yahoo.com
Pay By Touch allows shoppers to safely and securely pay for purchases using a finger scan to access their financial accounts and loyalty programs. Once enrolled in the Pay By Touch service, consumers scan their finger and select a preferred payment method every time they pay. The one-time Pay By Touch enrollment is simple and takes just a couple of minutes. Shoppers can enroll online or in store.

"Cogent has a strong record of providing secure biometric solutions for critical government agencies," said John Rogers, founder, chairman and CEO of Pay By Touch. "With Cogent, as a trusted partner, we are ensuring state-of-the-art security and technology while simultaneously making it more cost effective for our growing list of customers to deploy Pay By Touch. Based on customer reaction to our jointly developed solution, we expect our initial order of $5 million to be the first of many over the next 12 months."

"We are very excited about partnering with Pay by Touch to help deliver convenient new payment methods to retailers," commented Ming Hsieh, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cogent. "Moving forward, we expect there will be new opportunities to deploy Cogent's technology in point-of-sale applications to enhance consumer convenience and address card fraud and identity theft issues."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

New technologies like Biometrics and RFID (radio frequency identification) are a reality today and the use of these technologies is fast becoming a part of everyday life. These inventions and thier uses promise major improvements in security and convienence for the consumer, while keeping costs down and efficiency up for the retailer. There is a down side side to this technology however. Potentiel abuses of biometrics and RFID are frightening to many. The possibility that a store can keep track of every purchase you make, not to mention when and where it was made provides for alot of information that could be used improperly by marketing companies and government agencies. A real and honest discussion is needed between corporations, individuals, and governments to decide what is the proper use of such technologies.

Related News Links:
www.paybytouch.com
www.biteproject.org
en.wikipedia.org
rds.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pay Bills with your Fingerprint
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread120859/pg1

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So ahhhhhh...........

Ready to take that chip now?????
Ahhhh, the great thoughts of the chip that allowed you to buy and sell are soon apon us... what do you think people.... good to see some old book got some kick dont it...

And no I am not christain, so this isnt religiously motivated.

[edit on 5/13/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The technology is promising. But does it promise good or evil. The scary thing is it promises both. Where this could lead is the frightning or fascinating part, depending on your view point.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Ok, so this might sound silly, but what about people who had an injury and lost their arm, they wouldn't be able to give a fingerprint.... if Pay By Touch works out, this might be an issue though. What do you guys think?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
any body see 24 where he got his finger cut ff for his RIDF chip

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Scanning a fingerprint for ID verification prior to an action does not equate with "chip implant". Where I work we use fingerprint reading devices to allow for access to and from various areas in the facility, and interestingly, no chip in my body anywhere.

I think it would be very cool to be able to press my finger down at a busy store, and go, knowing that it is a paid for transaction. That is, basically, called progress.

Addendum:

My wife, who is far more of an expert on this than I, tells me that the technology is still not 100% and I am, therefore, full of crap!

[edit on 14-5-2005 by sigung86]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
At first I thought this might be the same company that designed this

The whole model is driven by advertisers' need to get in front of consumers," said Alexandor. "They're not watching 30-second TV ads anymore

But I see I was wrong. Yet it shows more and more technology is on its way into our local super markets.

The thing I do not like is they are going to charge to sign up to use the service

[edit on 5/14/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
The thing I do not like is they are going to charge to sign up to use the service

Actually the Pay By Touch system is free for the consumer, the stores will pay for the terminals (lease or buy) and access to the service, just like they do with credit card terminals and service now.

It works like the RFID chips in those little keychain things at Mobile/Exxon gas stations. Maybe you could scan your finger at the pump soon.

top topics

join