It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being Racially Insensitive Can Be Ok!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
A group of "wingnut" activists in California are trying to get a plaque taken down that they say is racially insensitive and seditious in nature. The plaque stands on the same groun proponents of the confederate flag do. They say they are simply restating history. The plaque reads,

This land was Mexican once, was Indian always and is, and will be again' engraved on it. Another passage reads, "It was better before they came.'

City officials have made it clear the plaque will stand, and has pointed out that the activists need to look at it in the context of history.

Now, the arguement for the confederate flag is that it symbolizes state's rights, not slavery. However, if a confederate flag were put up with a caption saying, "They were better as slaves", there is no doubt in my mind that monument, plaque or flag would be torn down within days. Yet, saying this great land was better off without the evil white man (the Spanish were ok, apparently, and the south west was better when it was under Mexican rule, too, mind you) is totally acceptable.

Gotta love that double standard.

The group trying to get this 8 year old plaque taken down is the same one that got the bilboard which had CA crossed out and Mexico written in taken down successfully. The arguement being used by proponents of the plaque who don't have a leg to stand on are saying the group is only going after this plaque to push its own agenda.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Only if a white person talks about another race is it racists. That's what I've come to conclude.

Makes me mad as hell. So does that sign.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
First of all, where exactly is this plaque??? How much public exposure does it get in other words??? Is it in some Indian or Mexican dominated area or something???

As for the message itself, well, it's not as if I can't see their side of it, especially the Natives. The Mexicans actually still have their own country so their complaining about things is of little meaning in comparison the the Native People of this land. The fact that the Native People make up only 3% of their entire homeland that was taken from them in acts of Genocide is a very sickening thing IMO. Our government throws them some tiny scraps of land to call their own yet still enforce their own rules upon them including traditions and education. Even what little land is provided for them gets taken back usually by Political force.

However, there is no reason for the amount "Blame the White Man" type implications anymore by either those who are complaining or by most of the Anglo-American's that get offended. I'm a white man but I don't get offended at all this type of stuff simply because "The White Men" that did and do the things that they are complaining about are the same "White Men" who'd sell me or any of the other people in this country for slaves or fodder too. Hell, these "White Men" aren't even always "White" anymore so we should just be saying "The Man". Actually, a few "Women" are probably in there too.

The point I'm getting at is don't take it all so personal until it actually does get personal. The same "People" who took their land by force are the same "People" who take everyone else's land by force when the time comes regardless of your color, culture, or whatever. Focus on them and realize that is who the message if for. If you do get included in that group when you don't belong then you need to bring them back into focus too and call them on their own B.S. Maybe together both sides can get the real problem solved and then both be happy.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
First of all, where exactly is this plaque??? How much public exposure does it get in other words??? Is it in some Indian or Mexican dominated area or something???
Not sure, but California does have a rather high Mexican population.

As for the message itself, well, it's not as if I can't see their side of it, especially the Natives.

I can, too, but that doesn't matter to the PC crowd. If someone takes offense, it gets banned. Typically it's only minorities who are permitted to be offended, though. The other person's perspective doesn't matter. THAT'S my biggest problem with the PC era. You may believe something with all your heart, and see it from a certain perspective, but if you say it and someone gets offended, you're forced to apologize and say you don't really feel that way. America is diverse. Why can't our parks have statues, displays and plaques which represent that diversity? Why can't there be a cross in a park, America has many Christians. Why can't there be a crescent moon in a park? America has many Muslims. Why can't there be a star of David? We have many Jews.

What bothers me so much about this specific story is the dual nature of the law when it comes to these things. It's like a what a school did recently. A kid painted a stairway to a castle in the clouds as a mural in the halls of the school. The administration forced him to change it because it had religious connotations, in their minds. When the student asked about the mural further down the hall depicting the Virgin Mary, he was told that that is representitive of the Mexican culture. There's this really wierd double standard that I just don't like. If city officials made it clear the [whatever] will stand, and has pointed out that the activists need to look at it in the context of history for all public displays, I would be totally cool about this. But they don't. They're hypocrites, and that is one of my biggest pet peeves.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well to answer some people's questions, this plaque is in a predominantly Mexican area, the people protesting are all from OUTSIDE the city, and most people protesting it are white. This plaque was made by an artist, and the artist has freedom of expression. I think this has a lot more meaning behind the obvious. For example, "it was better before they came", i come to think that this is what most Native Americans, myself included, believe. After all, they did destroy a whole culture, which had embedded in it a whole array of different cultures within it, not only that but Native Americans are also very spiritual and are one with nature. The white man destroyed our environment and turned our beautiful land into a monstrosity. Well i dont wanna get too deep into it, but i would like to end by sayin that the killing of the Native Americans and their culture was probably one of the most successfull genocides in history.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vergaentuboca
Well to answer some people's questions, this plaque is in a predominantly Mexican area, the people protesting are all from OUTSIDE the city, and most people protesting it are white. This plaque was made by an artist, and the artist has freedom of expression. I think this has a lot more meaning behind the obvious. For example, "it was better before they came", i come to think that this is what most Native Americans, myself included, believe. After all, they did destroy a whole culture, which had embedded in it a whole array of different cultures within it, not only that but Native Americans are also very spiritual and are one with nature. The white man destroyed our environment and turned our beautiful land into a monstrosity. Well i dont wanna get too deep into it, but i would like to end by sayin that the killing of the Native Americans and their culture was probably one of the most successfull genocides in history.

...And Nazi Germany still gets heat about the persecution of Jews. It's no wonder we live in a country where everything has to be so "PC." If someone posts something you don't like, just complain or file a law suit to remove the offensive material. I'm glad the plaque is remaining up there. I believe we need to learn how to deal with offensive statements instead of trying to eliminate them. For example, if the klan wants to rally....let them. Don't get angry at them, pity them for their ignorance. Better yet, don't pity them. Realize their stance is based off fear and ignorance and go on unaffected. Not once have I been angered by a racist comment directed at me (I am white/native american and yes, have been made fun of!). If everyone did that, the power of racial bigotry would be nill. The words themselves have no meaning or power beyond what we give them.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by vergaentuboca
For example, "it was better before they came", i come to think that this is what most Native Americans, myself included, believe. After all, they did destroy a whole culture, which had embedded in it a whole array of different cultures within it, not only that but Native Americans are also very spiritual and are one with nature. The white man destroyed our environment and turned our beautiful land into a monstrosity. Well i dont wanna get too deep into it, but i would like to end by sayin that the killing of the Native Americans and their culture was probably one of the most successfull genocides in history.

Very well stated; I agree with you 100%, however, it's my understanding that the sentiment "it was better before they came" was actually meant as the white mans' opinion of the mexican and mexican-american population of the area. This is what the artist said during a tv interview she did on the local news. Kind of puts a different spin on it, doesn't it? There seems to be a quote expressing the viewpoint of native-americans, whites and mexican-americans.

seeker

join