It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-Year-Old Maryland Girl Has Not Aged In Years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
SMR

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
12-Year-Old Maryland Girl Has Not Aged In Years
Syndrome Remains Undiagnosed

UPDATED: 8:15 am PDT May 13, 2005

BALTIMORE -- Imagine being frozen in time as a baby forever. It sounds impossible, but it describes Brooke Greenberg.

The Baltimore-area girl may look like a baby, but she's nearly a teenager. In most respects, Brooke looks and acts like your average 6-month-old baby -- she weighs 13 pounds and she is 27 inches long.
But Brooke is actually 12 years old, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

Brooke doesn't age. Her syndrome remains undiagnosed and unnamed, and as far as doctors can tell, she is the only one in the world who has it.

Dr. Laurence Pakula has been Brooke's pediatrician since she was born.

"In height, weight, she's 6 to 12 months," Pakula said. "If you ask any physician who knows nothing about her, the response is that she is maybe a handicapped 2-year-old."
Her body may not be aging, but Brooke's health is deteriorating. She is fed through a tube, and she's had strokes, seizures, ulcers, severe respiratory problems and a tumor the size of a lemon.

The four times Brooke has come dangerously close to death, she bounced back and no one knows why.

Pakula points out that the girl has a strong sense of self and of sibling rivalry. Brooke has no language skills, but she does have enough motor skills to pull herself up in her crib or scoot across the kitchen floor.

Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

"When one sees how much she has accomplished, it's a wonderful reminder that even for someone who's limited, it's a wonderful world out there," Pakula said.

As genetic research expands, scientists might be able to learn the secrets of this little girl. But until then, it is Brooke who is doing the teaching.

removed source as is dead now
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone ever seen or heard of this?
Could this BE the clues to the 'fountain of youth' ?

[edit on 13-5-2005 by SMR]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
WEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIRDDDDDDDDDD and Interesting....that's really odd. Have their been cases similar to this yet with adults perhaps? Such as, after getting whatever disease might cause something like this, they jsut seem to stop aging physically? I know it says that shes the only case but, i was thinking about maybe for adults. Nice post SMR!

[edit on 13-5-2005 by Vesuvius 13]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow, that's amazing and sad at the same time.

Im surprised I have not heard this before.

Im originally from the DC/Balitomre area and this is the first......

amazing!

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't exactly call it cool...now if it was a normal 25 year old who never aged, that would be cool.

[edit on 5/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am wondering if they have tried some Hormone therapy on her? My guess would be yes, however you never know. I would try large doses that may jump start her aging process.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is very sad and perplexing at the same time. I just hope the little girl is able to experience the normal trappings of a girl her age. I also have to give her parents a big
for having the guts to face this in a world of such adversity. I also hope that the medical field can study her in a humane and sincere way to unlock the secrets that are hidden well within her for the betterment of mankind.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This is really sad, but what is interesting is that it seems her mind is not learning. IS she still 2 yrs old in her mental development?

The link has stopped working for the site.

SMR

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Interesting.........
The image in the first post is hotlinked from the same page as the article,yet the article is gone.
I did a google news search and all links ( all 55 to be exact! ) are dead now.
Wonder why they ALL took them down?

In any case,this is an interesting story and would like to follow up on it for sure.

removed link in first post due to missing

IBM

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The fountain of youth may be at hand. I feel very bad for her though, I hope modern medicine can cure her of this "disease". If staying young forever is a disease.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
rather impressive feat to say the least.
to remove a topic from the internet the same day it was posted is amazing.
I had used many ways to look for it outside of google. I wonder what it takes for such an efficient sweep. sad story aside, the removal interests me more.

SMR

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yes,very odd and interesting indeed.
Either they found out that this was a hoax or that ..........hell,I cant think of any reason really.Other than maybe this is something so 'out of this world' that they dont want to much media so they can perhaps sell a story,or keep research to a minimum.It also makes me wonder if they HAVE found something and it is really .... 'out of this world' in that they have indeed found a fountain of youth

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
Interesting.........
The image in the first post is hotlinked from the same page as the article,yet the article is gone.
I did a google news search and all links ( all 55 to be exact! ) are dead now.
Wonder why they ALL took them down?

In any case,this is an interesting story and would like to follow up on it for sure.

removed link in first post due to missing

They found out that this is just a hoax, a mere publicity stunt. A baby not aging, lol, you people believe everything and anything.

SMR

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
So far you have said this twice without backing up this claim.
Your claim of it being a hoax has no reliability just from 'your say-so'
Please provide a link so we can clarify this as a hoax.
If it is indeed a hoax,so be it.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I have seen a similar medical condition to this. When I was 7 years old, I lived in Oceanside, California. One of my friends that lived a couple of blocks over had a ten year old brother that still had the appearance of a one year old infant. He did not look unhealthy in any way, but when I saw my friends "baby brother", I asked how old he was, and his mother replied "he's older than you." I didn't know whether to believe this, seeing how I was only 7 at the time, but I told my mom about it and she just kind of raised her eyebrows at me. His mom said that the doctors had no clue why he didn't grow. I remember other things about this same day, so this isn't something I saw on TV as a child. I was shocked to see this post, so I had to share my experience with this issue. More than likely it was not true, but interesting anyway.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
very interesting if true, but i dont think so. any news on this? google dont give me anything, but i heard there are other searchengines. i go look at snopes.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by feyd rautha]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
BUMP

Apologies for the trashing of this topic.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

CHATTER by Ron Davis
Meet Brooke Greenberg. She's 12 years old. And that's no baby picture. It's how she looks today.

"When one sees how much she has accomplished, it's a wonderful reminder that even for someone who's limited, it's a wonderful world out there," Pakula said.

Amara reported as genetic research expands, scientists might be able to learn the secrets of this amazing little girl. But until then, it is Brooke who is doing the teaching. Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

Comment: I wonder why this story suddenly went away. It threads on Google, but so many dead links. Could it be that the elite has done research on this and concluded the case has implications for longevity that it will not release to the unwashed masses? (eg, Anyone whose networth is less than 100 million dollars.)

Google Cache of Denver Channel

A Welsh View

Google Search Brooke Greenberg

SMR

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thanks Simon

I was very unclear why it was trashed since nobody was able to come up with a link claiming it was a hoax.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Ok, I'll admit at first when these reports were removed from all news sites I too began to look. One I found said that the story had been removed and claimed that it was a hoax... I never went back to look further. Until today.. It seems unusual that these reports were removed.. and now many are dead links.

Like many I have been looking for something to back up the hoax claim and as yet have been unable to find anything to support this being a hoax.

Perhaps this was a privacy issue involving the girl and her family?

Anyway.. Strange indeed.

Maybe soon someone will get to the bottom of this.

Gazz

[edit on 15-5-2005 by UM_Gazz]

SMR

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Copy/Paste from part II thread since it is closed.

Tonight while trying to search for further info to see if this was real or a hoax,I came across a site that had cached the video and image of Brooke.
The video can be seen HERE as well as the source being HERE
The source also includes a link to a blog called California Medicine Man ( LINK ) which has two entries talking about this.
So far NO link has said this was a hoax and seeing that John S. Ford MD, MPH ( a full-time assistant professor at the UCLA School of Medicine ) has not stated otherwise.I believe there is some sort of cover up here.Something BAD for this little girl is coming.Many painfull tests are soon to come I believe.
This is really sad that this is being hidden.

I then found an interesting link that someone has shared personal experience with children that have similar issues.
This is typical with kids with developmental disabilties. They are often tiny and do not look their age. They hate it. I work with several kids who are under 50lbs. but older than 16. One of my favorite "little guys" hates it when I call him that...he is 12 and weighs 40 lbs. Most of these kids have severe medical needs... not just g tubes, but PIC and Central Lines, IV, vac pumps and hemo pumps...chest drainage systems to keep their lungs clear; kids with intra-cranial shunts with tubes popping out to keep their skulls from expanding.... I work with the most profoundly disabled kids...very few of them have active trachs or use vents for breathing (that is usually for the brain injured kids and young adults). But they require body splints made of hard plastic just to keep them upright...because they have no ribs or only half a spine. It's very sad in some respects-to watch these kids get by. But they are the happiest beings on planet. They really are.

The medical community is doing away with the catch all term of "Cerebral Palsy" and starting to identify each DX differently. Many kids have dual and triple DX.

Some of the newer (last 30 years) terms being used to identify and treat these disorders- Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome, Rett's Syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome, Autism, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Smith-Magenis syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome...among hundreds of others-help medical people towards better treatment options. It helps to know exactly what each child has because there are different (and sometimes critical) care pathways we take for treatment. The very nature of my facility is to take care of those kids who present the biggest challenges to their families. Some of the children I work with have been at my work for years...I would say the average is about 13....and they rarely have visits from their families. It's like the family dumps them on our doorstep and runs off. Never to be heard from again until the kid grows up and ages out at 21. I can't count the times some of the kids made little gifts for Christmas (with Activity staff help of course)...they mail the packages home only to have it returned to us.

This little girl is fortunate to have an actively involved family. Many are not involved and only wish to be called upon the death of their child.
SOURCE

I do not think,or believe rather,that this story is in any way a hoax.This child is suffering from something that many might think is extraordinary to say the least.But to others,very sad.
Why all news station sites removed it is unknown at this time.But the fact that the story was up one minute around the world,and gone the next at almost the same exact time,only makes you wonder if something like a 'Medical Conspiracy' is going on.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join