It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Sentences for 4 Texans Convicted of Brutal Attack On Black Man (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Four young white males today received short sentences for the beating of a black man that left the man in a nursing home.

www.click2houston.com
The small East Texas town of Linden has learned the sentences for three of four young men who were convicted in a brutal attack against a mentally disabled black man during a party in 2003.

The victim, Billy Johnson, 44, was beaten to the point of suffering a brain injury and he was left on top of a fire-ant mound.

The four men charged in the crime are white and could have faced sentences of 10 years in prison, but were expected to get probation or brief jail time after their juries rejected the most serious charges.

Christopher Colt Amox, 20, and Dallas Stone, 19, were both sentenced to 30 days in jail for the crime. Amox also was fined $4,000 and sentenced to two years' probation. Stone received a $2,000 fine and five years' probation.

James Cory Hicks, 26, was sentenced to 60 days in jail and 10 years' probation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The black community has been done a horrible disservice today. These short jail terms are an absolute insult. These men left a man mentally incapacitated in a nursing home and received a few short weeks in county lockup for their crime.

Among the other headlines today, this is just another one to remind us that humans have not progressed an inch in the past 100 years.

The jury was prepared to give them an even lesser punishment and the judge had to ADD time.

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com
www.washingtonpost.com
www.guardian.co.uk
www.ktbs.com

[edit on 13-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Heh, one of them is named "Hicks."

An article says that they were having a "pasture party."

from www.washingtonpost.com...
Authorities in this poor, pine-locked east Texas hamlet of 2,300 have said that Johnson, well-known around town as a friendly but "slow" character who loved dancing, was lured to an all-white pasture party where underage drinkers fed him alcohol and picked on him.

Owens and Stone, who pleaded guilty to a third-degree felony charge of injury to a disabled person by omission, testified that Amox and Johnson were arguing about country versus rap music when Amox told Johnson to leave.

Then Amox swung at Johnson, who fell and began vomiting and gagging, according to testimony. The men loaded Johnson into a truck and drove to an old tire dump, where they left him on the ant hill.

Doctors soon determined he had suffered a concussion that, without medical attention, could have killed him, Lee said. Johnson was hospitalized for weeks. He is now unable to walk without help or speak clearly.

I am outraged.

Zip

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
LA Times reports that the judge could have added 10 more years to the people involved in the hate crime. For some reason, this did not happen.

All four could have faced 10 years in prison on the original charges in the 2003 beating of Billy Ray Johnson, who was found unconscious on a fire ant mound and now lives in a nursing home. But two of the men entered plea deals, and two were acquitted of the most serious counts.
www.latimes.com

This is sickening, 30 days for making a man mentally handicapped. The thugs involved in the crime are defintely at fault, but what was the judge thinking? This is absurd.

[edit on 5/13/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
okay I was put on 3 yrs probation for a crime that is nowhere near this crap, WTF MAN! They ruined someones life, yet argh i'm too pissed off.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Gee, and yet people wonder why the Dems want to filibuster these kinds of judges..... One of the judges they oppose gave a man probation for killing 3 blacks during a cross burning KKK meeting.

Damn, they cry when SC tells them they can't kill kids, then cry when SC says they can't kill mentally handicapped, so right now they want the SC dead.(Couple of the leaders in Texas have called for them to be "punished")

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thirty days... and then PROBATION??????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... I'm going to find the email of SOME politician and I'm going to snarl ... oh... hmmm.... y'know there's a Black woman who represents Houston in the Texas Senate, who spoke up and gave the senators a verbal kicking recently for their outrageous behavior in shuffling aside some very necessary and important laws to spend time passing trivial "feel good" legislation so their constituants would vote for them.

I do believe I'll drop her a note. I'm sure she's heard about this, but a note of outrage from a fellow Texas might not hurt.

(edited to add that I did email Representative Senfronia Thompson of the Texas House of Representatives.)

[edit on 13-5-2005 by Byrd]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Two hate-crime charges have been laid against a man accused of spray-painting "Die Muslim Die" at Ryerson University. The incident was one of many last summer and fall targeting Middle Easterners at the school.

Well, I don't think this is really a hate crime.

Hate crimes--violent acts against people, property, or organizations because of the group to which they belong or identify with

I don't think these guys beat this man because he was black, I think they beat him because they were hicks and just wanted to beat up a helpless old man...

I guess it's hard to say, though. They drew him to the party just to pick on him, maybe because he was black and a little slow, and maybe just because they wanted someone to pick on. I can't say for sure, but I can say I've known many people just like these stereotypical fresh-from-high-school East Texan *-kicking hicks.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I grew up in East Texas and know the general mentality. Linden is in deep East Texas..which, for blacks, is about 30 years behind the times. Unfortunately, there have been a number of hate crimes in this area. In the early 90's a black man, Lowell Garner, was beaten to death by sheriffs' deputies in Hemphill, Texas. The local jury found them not guilty. Later, they were tried again in Tyler, Texas, on another charge (Tyler because that's where Garner actually died) and were found guilty.
So, yes, I do think this was a hate crime and it's a terrible thing.

It's one of the reasons I left East Texas...I couldn't stand so much bigotry (I know it exists elsewhere but, between the bigots and the fundamentalists, I grew weary).
joey

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This shows how F*** up our Justice system is and how F*** up some of our judges are. heck we don't even vote for our own judges! we should be able to!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
"Four young white males today received short sentences for the beating of a black man that left the man in a nursing home. "

www.exbyte.net...

Watch the 4 white guys beat the black guy.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If it was the other way around. The blacks guys would of 1/4 of the sentence's, since white are not protected by race crime.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
While that sucker punch pissed me off (the black guy is a coward in that video), I really don't see how it's relevant.

Even if you don't think of the four texas guys as a hate crime, they still should have had stricter sentences for aggravated assault. I mean, they only got 30-60 days in jail for sending a guy to a nursing home? It could have been a white guy they beat and it still would have been an absurd sentence.

Now, the judge can go back to giving people 60 days for simple possession of marijuana.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTruth123
If it was the other way around. The blacks guys would of 1/4 of the sentence's, since white are not protected by race crime.

What??? Are you kidding me??? 4 black guys in their late teens/early 20's who beat the sh*t out of some old mentally challenged man, leaving him on an ant hill and almost kills the man and you're saying 1/4 of the punishment. Where do you live Bizzaro World??? Maybe if the trial is held in on a street corner in the projects but other than that you've got to be joking.

Sure, there may be some cases where it might, maybe, being a total twist of fate possibly happen but don't even try and say it's common. Then to say it in a way that implies "White People" not being protected....by the law....I mean come on man....???

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
You people need to know what really happened. Mabe that black guy attacked one the white guys and the other came to their AID.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
what these boys need is some real TEXAS JUSTICE!!!

Larry Joe will sort out these varmits!

[edit on 18-5-2005 by drfunk]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTruth123
You people need to know what really happened. Mabe that black guy attacked one the white guys and the other came to their AID.

And maybe not.

You're clearly a racist and a defender of racism. Are you standing to be a Texas judge / sheriff? - you'd do well.

Clearly parts of the US are very backward.

Sorry guys but when we see injustices like this it goes on the 'another reason not to visit the USA' pile.

Most countries have single legal system for the whole country and therefore assume this is typical of all of the US.

I know it's not but sure black British / German etc tourists will choose to spend their money elsewhere.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This is another Outrage of Justice - if we can call this Justice anyway.

I wonder what would happen if the tables had been turned around - that 4 BLACK guys would beat the crap out of one White guy... in Texas.

I bet all four of them would have resereved Electric Chairs in the near Future.

But I guess, when White folks do it, that means 30 days in Jail.

Equal Rights and Justice for All?

Yea RIGHT!

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
"your clearly a rascist"

While i think this is a little ridiculus beating the black guy and making him even more retarded and leaving him on an ant hill,lol. far worse has been done to white kids by blacks and it never makes the news and certaintly no senators are "outraged" by it. this usually happens in urban areas where it is to costly to prosecute all the blacks. In my opinion what goes around comes around. Im sure this wont be the last we hear of things like this. These kids should be grateful there is a strong white community behind them.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Unrelated to this exact story, but just some information to show you how things are in texas.

A friend of mine started an ISP and hosting company in texas.
He is a second generation Spanish immigrant(not hispanic/south american), but actualy from spain in europe. His wife is Polish. Hes propably the most far right guy I know, sometimes his comments and idea's make djohnst77 seem like a left wing pussy.

Under his real name, he couldn't sell anything to anyone. Almost half a year went by without getting any clients.
So he officialy had his last name changed and whadaya know. Relaunching the bussines under a new name and with his own new last name, with exactly the same prices and equipment, his ISP grew to one of the biggest in the area in about 2 months time.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
While i think this is a little ridiculus beating the black guy and making him even more retarded and leaving him on an ant hill,lol. far worse has been done to white kids by blacks and it never makes the news and certaintly no senators are "outraged" by it. this usually happens in urban areas where it is to costly to prosecute all the blacks. In my opinion what goes around comes around. Im sure this wont be the last we hear of things like this. These kids should be grateful there is a strong white community behind them.

WTF are You talking About?

While i think this is a little ridiculus beating the black guy and making him even more retarded and leaving him on an ant hill,lol

You find this Story Funny?

And PLEASE dont start "how poor and how miserable the White kids in America are, and how the Black kids are Evil and Mean to them!"

What goes around comes around?

Whoa, well, then just wait for ALL the Black people to unite and Fight back for all the Slavery Days in America and for all the KKK massacres and for all the Racism on them and for ALL INJUSTICE that they were victims of.

No mister, you got it Wrong - YOU are clearly a Racist!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join