It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pentagon Unveils Major Base Realignment and Closure Plan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Do you feel protected?

Do you feel like our government cares for us?

I bet not many will answer these questions...Only a retard would think its all for our own sake.

Do you listen to Michael Savage too? You sound like something he would say.

Do you think you know better than half a dozen seasoned military generals, their respective staffs, and numerous civilian military civil servants who have spent their entire careers defending this country?

Only a 'retard' would presume that he is smart enough to say such reckless things without, oh, what are they called again, oh yes... facts.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I dont know who Michael Savage is, but its very obvious we have a lot in common.

Whatever...
We'll know soon enough the "why" of these seemingly irrational goings on in this world, wont we?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It just seems like an odd time to close bases, with what is going on oversees. Is there a logical explanation as to why you would close bases at this time? I know closing of bases may have happened in the past, but is now a good time? Am I missing something?

Troy

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
What they are doing is consolidating bases. Closing those which mission is done by another base or can be moved to another base, we aren't losing any personnel or equipment.

Back when russia and nuclear war were our number one concern you needed several different bases that did the same mission just in case one of them had gotten taken out, now a days things aren't like that and funding the upkeep,electric, and personnel to guard that base just gets higher and higher.

So would you rather have 1,000 security police or MPs guarding 100 bases and spread out or 80 bases and have enough people to cover them, or pay the electric bill for the whole block or just the houses that you need.

The pentagon has tried for years to close down unneeded and unwanted bases and everytime congress blocks them because of politics. What senator wants to loose that much money being pumped into thier home state? pork belly politics has kept those bases open this long it's time to shut them down and my point is this isn't going to hurt the military at all but in fact strengthens it.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It is getting harder and harder to tell the republicans from the democrats. I swear these guys got together one night and compared notes on how to screw up a country. They have been very successful so far. Didn't the Nazi's have some kind of national ID as well?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Dont be blind! The reason for closure is SURELY not money! Its so they can use the bases as camps to hold us when the NWO takes over!!!
BINGO! Or to make them sort of leper colonies for the ones who succumb to the "flu pandemic"

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Oh please, all the previously closed bases have been redeveloped into civilian use for many different purposes including universities, medical centers, residential areas, and business districts. These aren't being turned into concentration camps! :shk:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Otis Airforce base- a real important one when it comes to New York and the north east....

WTF (pardon my language).

Someone said they were "consolidating" the bases...when are you going to wake up and smell the gun powder?

The way some of you have it figured out, its all being done for budget purposes?
Please tell me you're kidding....

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
It is getting harder and harder to tell the republicans from the democrats. I swear these guys got together one night and compared notes on how to screw up a country. They have been very successful so far. Didn't the Nazi's have some kind of national ID as well?
It is all the same thing now...both parties are in on "whatever" is going to happen. They are all dangerous now.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Oh please, all the previously closed bases have been redeveloped into civilian use for many different purposes including universities, medical centers, residential areas, and business districts. These aren't being turned into concentration camps! :shk: [/quote I KNOW you're an intelligent person, do you honestly beleive this?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
As we get ready to face a potential catastrophic climate shift in the next few years they really need to be focusing their efforts to secure the mainland and worry less about what some ghost is doing in Iraq. Our priorities are way out of line.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I know you're smart...do you honestly believe they are being turned into concentration camps?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I know you're smart...do you honestly believe they are being turned into concentration camps?

Why would you need concentration camps for a country where most people are too lazy to even vote? Do you think they fear the wrath of those who couldn't leave there soap operas and reality TV long enough to fill in a ballot?

Do you think they are going to suddenly rise up in an armed revolt against them? Maybe after American Idol

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Amuk]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Given the fact that our borders will remain open (where terrorists come from) and given the fact that bases are closing, why even Ottis Air Force which, by the way, would be the place to scramble a jet out of in the event something happened in New York...am i supposed to think this all makes perfect sense? Not on your life, sorry.

Whats wrong with this picture? Plenty. Sorry to say.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I saw a report on this on TV and it said that the ability to get fighter jets to metropolitan areas quickly would not be affected by these closures.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Given the fact that our borders will remain open (where terrorists come from) and given the fact that bases are closing, why even Ottis Air Force which, by the way, would be the place to scramble a jet out of in the event something happened in New York...am i supposed to think this all makes perfect sense? Not on your life, sorry.

Whats wrong with this picture? Plenty. Sorry to say.

So, apparently you think you are fully qualified and sufficiently well informed to pick apart and contradict the conclusions of the BRAC panel without stating a single fact.

Here are some facts for you.

From the BRAC commission web site
www.defenselink.mil...
The 2005 BRAC commissioners are:

Former Nevada Rep. James H. Bilbray, who was a member of House committees on foreign affairs, armed services and intelligence. He served in the Army Reserve from 1955 to 1963.

Philip Coyle of California, a senior adviser to the Center for Defense Information. He has served at DoD as an assistant secretary of defense and as director of operational test and evaluation.

Retired Navy Adm. Harold W. Gehman Jr., who served more than 35 years on active duty, including duty as NATO's supreme allied commander, Atlantic, and as commander of U.S. Joint Forces Command.

Former Utah Rep. James V. Hansen, who served on the House Armed Services Committee. He served in the Navy from 1951 to 1955.

Retired Army Gen. James T. Hill, whose 36-year career culminated with duty as commander of U.S. Southern Command.

Retired Air Force Gen. Lloyd "Fig" Newton, who served in uniform for 34 years, culminating as commander of Air Education and Training Command.
Samuel Knox Skinner, who served as President George H.W. Bush's chief of staff and as secretary of transportation. He served in the Army Reserve from 1960 to 1968.

Retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Sue Ellen Turner of Texas, a member of the American Battle Monuments Commission. She served for 30 years, most recently as the director of nursing services in the Office of the Air Force Surgeon General.

What are your credentials? How many years have you served in the military? What makes you qualified to discern which bases are superfluous or not? Do you know how many bases there are in the US? overseas? Do you know how many 'auxilliary' locations the DoD has? Or how many square feet of office space DoD organizations fill? Do you have any direct evidence that this round of BRAC is going to materially weaken the military's ability to do their job? Or is it just some 'sense' you have?

BTW, the US military does not directly defend the nation's borders. That would be the border patrol, various national guard units, the Coast Guard, and ocasionally groups of citizens with nothing better to do. Someone else already covered the issue of jet coverage of NYC.

A buddy of mine who is an AF officer told me they have a saying when they encounter folks who like to spout off about the military without much knowledge:

"Thank you for your interest in National Security".

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
dgtempe says:

quote: Originally posted by djohnsto77
Oh please, all the previously closed bases have been redeveloped into civilian use for many different purposes including universities, medical centers, residential areas, and business districts. These aren't being turned into concentration camps! [/quote I KNOW you're an intelligent person, do you honestly beleive this?

Well, dgtempe, why don't you hop on the Superstition Freeway, head south on Ellsworth, and find out what's going on at the "concentration camp" that used to be Luke Air Force Base -- and then report back to us?

Oh, and one more thing, dgtempe:

"Thank you for your interest in National Security".

[edit on 14-5-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Dear Off:

It is my duty as a citizen of the United States to be concerned. No need to thank me.

Only time will tell if what i think is happening, happens or if i'm crazy

and need treatment. Fair enough?

[edit on 14-5-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well, I know one thing, I won't be going back to Groton anytime soon. That place, and New London, barely clinging on, like sub base parasites...

It's a shame, but I suppose the country will do what the country needs to in order to survive.

I know there's going to be a lot of angry folks, jobless folks, and that's a recipe for disaster.

We'll just wait and see...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
What constitutes an unneeded base? I still have questions at this stage of the game?

Troy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join