It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Protesters Storm Uzbekistan Prison and Release Inmates.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Rebels in the Uzbekistan town of Andizhan have stormed the prison releasing the prisoners during protests involving over 2000 people and also seized a governments building taking ten people hostage. Reports are that up to 20 people have died during the protests and there is no sign of a police presence on the streets of the besieged town. Several buildings are on fire and soldiers have now poured into the town but it is still unknown just who controls the town at the moment. Two of the dead are believed to be children.

www.abc.net.au
Uzbekistan, an impoverished agrarian state of 26 million, has come under criticism from Western human rights groups for the mass jailing of Muslims who do not subscribe to state-sponsored Islam.

The Andizhan rebels, some of whom broke out of jail where they were being held during a trial on religious extremism, demanded Russian mediation to avert further bloodshed.

"This is the limit. Our relatives started to disappear," one rebel leader, who declined to give his name, said.

He said he had been freed from jail.

"We suffered too much, people have been driven to despair, it has to be stopped."

The rebel leader, demanding a cease-fire and the release by authorities of Akram Yuldashev, a Muslim theologian, called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to mediate.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Other reports include 30 soldiers that are being held hostage after shooting at demonstrators and President Islam Karimov along with other officials have rushed to the town to negotiate with the rebels.

The rebels have protested over the "terror trial" of 23 muslims during a government crackdown on religious dissent and it is believed that all 23 defendants have now been set free by the protestors.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Interesting...I wonder how "Vladdy" is going to handle this. What do you think? Diplomacy? Military action?

Do you know who imprisoned these men in the first place?

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have seen this news on CNN - apparently there are LOTS of protests in Muslim countires these days.

Anyway, three were reports of Tanks firing at the crowd and that there were several injured, but no reports about the dead.

ANDIJAN, Uzbekistan (CNN) -- Fighting has broken out afresh in eastern Uzbekistan after a night in which soldiers clashed with demonstrators, leaving at least nine and perhaps as many as 20 demonstrators dead, according to witnesses.

Galima Bukharbaeva, a journalist witnessing the discord, said tanks were heading towards protesters Friday as the violence renewed. There was no immediate word of casualties in the latest round of fighting.

source:
CNN

[edit on 13/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What does "Vladdy" have to do with it? There are US military bases there, so the question is what's gonna happen in that regard.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

BBC: Panic as Uzbek troops open fire

Soldiers in Uzbekistan have opened fire on thousands of protesters gathered in the eastern city of Andijan.

Men women and children fled the square in panic as protesters occupying the mayor's office reportedly returned fire. An Uzbek government helicopter hovered overhead, reports said. An eyewitness in the square spoke of "indiscriminate firing" against protesters, and said she saw "bloody corpses" lying in a ditch.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm creating a new "drinking game"

Anytime on ATS, when there's an article of any unrest anywhere in the world, that someone pipes up with a response tailored to make the US look responsible, you have to drink a shot of whiskey.

I'd be sooo drunk after any two articles.

Originally posted by Aelita
What does "Vladdy" have to do with it? There are US military bases there, so the question is what's gonna happen in that regard.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I wonder if Russia will do anything. If they do something I hope they send in Spetsnaz Alpha Team, they'll probably get the job done.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

Anytime on ATS, when there's an article of any unrest anywhere in the world, that someone pipes up with a response tailored to make the US look responsible, you have to drink a shot of whiskey.

It's about time you stopped seeing anti-US concpiracies in every post. It is very clear what I said -- the US has interests in that country, and real military presense, and probably more clout than Russia, is all. If a shot of whiskey helps to clear up your mind, I'll probably send you a bottle.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

You can add in a shot every time the zionists are blamed and you'll need to AA to recuperate.

Just to spice it up a bit - An Uzbeki was shot in the legs and then killed by Israeli security guards when he approached the Israeli embassy. He was told to stop - when he didn't he was shot in the legs and then he continued to crawl toward the embassy and was killed. A bomb belt was strapped to his body. Uzbek officials say it was a phony bomb belt.

Happy drinking and Cheers

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

News.com.au: 50 dead in Uzbek fighting

MORE than 50 people have been killed in fighting in Uzbekistan's fourth-largest city, a doctor said, as government troops continued to move today against gunmen who freed prisoners including 23 men on trial for Islamic extremism.

Clashes resumed this morning in the eastern city of Andijan after a lull overnight, with Uzbek army troops firing shells from armoured vehicles and using automatic weapons against the gunmen.

"They are now dispersed and we are hunting them down," said an Uzbek soldier.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
After watching a documentary on the atrocities over there I'm not surprised at all by the protests.

They actually boil people during interrorgations over there.

I would recommend the film below to help people understand why they would be protesting:
Uzbekistan - The West's Torture Farm.rm

The guy in charge over there is as bad as Saddam.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Soldiers have fired on a crowd of at least 2,000 protesters in the town of Andijan in eastern Uzbekistan. At least one person has been killed, prompting scenes of mass panic as men, women and children fled more gunfire.

Troops sealed off Andijan after thousands of prisoners, including 23 men accused of Islamic extremism, were freed by armed men in a jailbreak. A BBC correspondent in Uzbekistan says unrest in the city feeds off pent-up anger over poverty and unemployment.

Uzbek President Islam Karimov was said to be heading to Andijan, but has not appeared in the city. The 23 accused of Islamic extremism were among up to 4,000 prisoners, including political prisoners and ordinary criminals, freed from jail overnight. Prisoners poured out into the city, some of them carrying guns.

"The people have risen," AP news agency quoted Valijon Atakhonjonov, the brother of a defendant in the long-running trial.

Uzbek officials said nine people were killed and 34 injured during the night, in apparent clashes between protesters and security forces. During Friday, several thousand protesters gathered in Andijan's main square and took over several buildings, calling for "justice" and "freedom".

But troops moved in late on Friday afternoon, opening fire and prompting the crowd to flee. People were screaming, saying their prayers and calling for help, according to the BBC's Monica Whitlock, in Tashkent. All foreign news broadcasts, including those of the BBC, have been blocked for domestic audiences.

In the capital Tashkent, 300 km away, a man was shot dead outside the Israeli embassy, upon suspicion he was a suicide bomber. Our correspondent says the incident, while apparently unrelated to the protests, shows how tense the situation has become. Andijan is one of the main cities in the most politically sensitive part of this country, our correspondent says.

It is the barometer of feeling for a long, densely populated valley called Ferghana with a long tradition of independent thought, and the authoritarian government in Tashkent has always eyed the valley with suspicion, she says.

The government has locked up probably thousands of local young men, many of them prominent members of the community, accusing them of Islamic extremism. Neighbouring Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan have shut their borders with Uzbekistan. Protests in Kyrgyzstan in March resulted in the overthrow of its then President, Askar Akayev.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Islam Karimov has ruled over Uzbekistan as a dictator since the fall of the USSR in 1991. The regime is a one party state with Karimov's party holding all the seats in it's 'parliament' and always winning 98% to 100% in 'elections'. Ironically the ruling party is called the 'Peoples Democratic Party'.

Unlike the more pro Russian dictators of the ex-USSR, like Lukashenko (Belarus), Kuchma (ex-ruler of Ukraine) and Shevednaze (ex-ruler of Georgia), Karimov is very much in favour with the US government and is a key ally of the US 'war on terrorism'.

Not once has the US ever criticised the Uzbek regimes heavy use of torture and killing of political prisoners or the use in Uzbekistan of child slaves for cotton picking, a key 'industry' that keeps the corrupt dicatorship afloat.

Does everyone remember how supportive the US was of the 'revolutions' in the Ukraine and Georgia. Especially in the case of Georgia were the involvement of the US was more pronouced due to Georgia having pipelines that pumped oil out of the Caspian Sea into the Black Sea for the West.

The US NEVER supports real revolutions where power is put in the hands of the people and the economy is run by the people. The US support for these uprisings in the ex-Soviet states is a planned policy of managing the trasner of power from pro Russian rulers to pro US ones, with the help of the CIA/other US agencies and the imperialist backed proxies in the respective countries (Shakasvili, in Georgia for example). Its nothing more than a more open and aggressive phase in imperialist power politics.

However as the dictatorship of Islam Karimov is VERY close to US imperialism and Karimov allowed the US to set up a military base (complete with stationed US troops and jet fighters and Uzbekistan refuels the US fighters with their own oil for free!) so the Americans could invade Afghanistan.

As well as allowing the US to use Uzbekistan as a permanent base, Karimov also crushes with total barbarity, any opposition to his rule or to the power of the US imperialist system. Karimovs regime has a routine to call ANY opposition to itself or the US as 'Islamic terrorism', regardless of the ideological loyalties of those who oppose the regime.

Ironically as the US was so supportive of the uprisings in the Ukraine and Georgia (the US even said that if violence broke out in those two uprisings, the fault lay with the regimes who leave people with no other alternative than force), in Uzbekistan, the US government came out with the line that BOTH sides should try and aviod violence, which in effect means that the protesters should give up and allow the Karimov regime to stay in power as the regime has the means of force on their side (the military/secret police).

The only reason the US takes this line is that they don't want to see Karimov fall and that the Uzbek rebels are a genuine movement, not some US backed/funded 'pro democracy network' with some US trained professional politician is flown in to assume power (like Shakasvili). The Uzbek rebels could, if they overthrow Karimov, ask the US to leave its bases in the country and to use the nations mineral wealth for its own development as opposed to the interests of global capital.

Karimov is the MOST bloody and dictatorial of the ex-USSR rulers. Unlike the strongmen of Belarus, Ukraine and Georgia, Karimov doesn't use fraud to win over his opponent in 'elections', Karimov is the ONLY candidate and other parties are banned, not just subverted. Karimov runs a proper dictatorship and not some strong armed democracy, so of all the tyrranies that should of been overthrown, Karimov should of been the first to go.

Yet the hypocracy of the US is as usual, just sickening!

I only hope that an anti US imperialist regime emerges from this Uzbek revolt. It would weaken the US war machine in the region and the US would lose valuable gold and oil markets.

I would much prefer a Taliban style Islamist regime in Uzbekistan than some 'lets accomodate with the US/global economy 'democracy'!!!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Does everyone remember how supportive the US was of the 'revolutions' in the Ukraine and Georgia.

I also recall that the revolutions in Ukraine and Georgia were non-violent. I remember that the previous Ukranian leader tried to kill his opponent and I also remember that Uzbekistan suffers Islamic terrorist attacks.
Georgian human rights were herendous prior to the revolution there:
hrw.org...

I would much prefer a Taliban style Islamist regime in Uzbekistan than some 'lets accomodate with the US/global economy 'democracy'!!!

That is because you are an extremist. The Taliban was an extremist, backward, bloodhungery group of Islamic pyschos. Maybe you should have lived there to appreciate the ''lets accomodate with the US/global economy 'democracy' " as you put it

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Does everyone remember how supportive the US was of the 'revolutions' in the Ukraine and Georgia.

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi
I also recall that the revolutions in Ukraine and Georgia were non-violent. I remember that the previous Ukranian leader tried to kill his opponent and I also remember that Uzbekistan suffers Islamic terrorist attacks.
Georgian human rights were herendous prior to the revolution there:
hrw.org...

I cant even believe you have the audacity to use HRW (Human Rights Watch) as a legitimate source for your argument... HRW is a bourgoise backed US Buisness-backing load of hogwash...

Those "so-called" Islamic "terrorist" acts should be interpreted as a oppressed religious populous striking back... The president Uzbekistan is almost completely intollerant of Muslims - and wrongly imprisons many Muslims on false accusations...

As for peaceful "revolutions" being the way to go, and "the only sure way to freedom" (Quote from US White-House spokesman) - WTF was the War in Iraq? - America is hypocritical and is only out to look after its neo-liberal, global dominance, multi-trillion dollar conglamorates.

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi
That is because you are an extremist. The Taliban was an extremist, backward, bloodhungery group of Islamic pyschos. Maybe you should have lived there to appreciate the ''lets accomodate with the US/global economy 'democracy' " as you put it

I'm not an extremist - I'm a Communist - Peoples power - not the power of $greed$ - are you aware that the US enjoys Uzbekistans pliability and lack of moral concious... Especially considering what was/is happening in Uzbekistan was many times worse than what was happening in Iraq in 2002...

America spreading "democracy" is the biggest sham of this era...
AMERICA 2005 - IS - GERMANY 1930

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here's an interesting look at spin...

www.cbsnews.com...

This article paints the protesters as peaceful, smiling, with lots of kids and women in attendance. The pictures speak for themselves, showing a bunch of kids sitting on the street smiling, then followed by the caption, "A picture of the crowd before troops opened fire."

So the troops are the bad guys for firing at children, and the freedom-seeking rioters are the good guys, fighting opression and all that. That's the story, according to CBS.

Now, I don't know the politics of the region enough to say one way or another, and I don't think many people do, they think they do, but they don't. They're making their judgements based on this sort of spun information, and it shows.

Could this little revolution have anything to do with American operations there? Are American corporate troublemakers inciting riots halfway across the world, to destabilize Russian or Middle Eastern power structures in the region? I don't know, but that angle certainly isn't being covered in the news, and that makes me suspicious.

Add another country to the list of nations gripped with unrest and revolution..the list is getting rather unwieldy actually...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldierYet the hypocracy of the US is as usual, just sickening!

I only hope that an anti US imperialist regime emerges from this Uzbek revolt. It would weaken the US war machine in the region and the US would lose valuable gold and oil markets.

lol, talk about hypocracy.

extremists are the ones suffering and rightly so, and hey genius that pipeline runs right through this country so that kinda destroys your argument about us not doing anything out of no interest and so does our military interest, theres no hypocracy supporting them, we never said we werent going to, winning our current situation is our priority right now, not democracy, especially if it helps extremists gain control and giive us more of an insurgent problem in afghanistan.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Uzbek leader: Soldiers were provoked

Karimov said on Saturday that authorities tried to negotiate a peaceful end to protests that have rocked the eastern city of Andijan but troops were provoked when insurgents tried to break through an advancing line of police and soldiers.

"To accept their [the insurgents] terms would mean that we are setting a precedent that no other country in the world would accept", said Islam Karimov,
Uzbek president.

source:
Aljazeera.Net

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Trucks have been seen while being loaded with "lots of corpses". The press have been removed from the area by the government. The government have said "only 9 people ("terrorists") have been killed. There are rumours of 600 dead.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I cant even believe you have the audacity to use HRW (Human Rights Watch) as a legitimate source for your argument... HRW is a bourgoise backed US Buisness-backing load of hogwash...

Are you suggesting that the previous Georgian leader was not a tyrant as they claim?

Those "so-called" Islamic "terrorist" acts should be interpreted as a oppressed religious populous striking back... The president Uzbekistan is almost completely intollerant of Muslims - and wrongly imprisons many Muslims on false accusations...

As for peaceful "revolutions" being the way to go, and "the only sure way to freedom" (Quote from US White-House spokesman) - WTF was the War in Iraq? - America is hypocritical and is only out to look after its neo-liberal, global dominance, multi-trillion dollar conglamorates.

Do you think that the US will go to war in a foreign country and endanger the lives of its own soldiers for something that does not suite their interest? I do not see communist Russia, China, Cuba or any others engage in wars for the people of the world.It seems that you are just pissed off that the US is pulling the carpet underneath the Russians and using that leverage for the good of the American people. Yes it is in the good of the American people since the US economy will improve as a result and then the Western world since it will stabilize the world's oil supply.

I'm not an extremist - I'm a Communist - Peoples power - not the power of $greed$ - are you aware that the US enjoys Uzbekistans pliability and lack of moral concious... Especially considering what was/is happening in Uzbekistan was many times worse than what was happening in Iraq in 2002...

America spreading "democracy" is the biggest sham of this era...
AMERICA 2005 - IS - GERMANY 1930

That is your view. I would rather have the Uzbeks oppressed than have them align themselves with Fundamentalist Muslim organizations since this will usher in the next world war - Another religious war but this time with modern weaponry - Allah hu Akbar with a Nuke - Imagine that. I say keep the fanatics oppressed and in parallel educate them towards peace not war - Educate the masses (Brainwash them if you have to) with moderate Islam - I don't care if the US gets filthy rich in the process. They are the only ones with the balls to drop the regimes of Sadaam, the Taliban, Iran (hopefully next) and other psycho dictators/cultures. With that in mind - they made the world a safer place, let them get rich.
THe only problem I have is with the worlds ecology. That is a separate issue that will need to be dealt with separately.

You say the US is Germany 1930 - I say Islamism is Germany 1930. Should I open a forum on that?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Trucks have been seen while being loaded with "lots of corpses". The press have been removed from the area by the government. The government have said "only 9 people ("terrorists") have been killed. There are rumours of 600 dead.

Yes I have heard the same news on my local news station.

There are reports from 300 - 600 dead, that were transported with trucks and buses in the morning. There were at least one third Women.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join