It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortions---the new birth control?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
As I was growing up, many of my young friends ended up getting pregnant. Now, what does a 13 year old do when she gets pregnant? Hmmmm. I know, why not get an abortion? They are not too expensive, you don't always have to get the permission of your parents, and hey, it's legal.

I have many friends who have had abortions once, twice, thrice...... I mean, one girl I knew and was friends with had 3 abortions by the time she was 17. The first was at the age of 13. When she got pregnant, all she did was come up with a few hundred bucks, went to Planned Parenthood, and va wa la, problem solved. And if it worked the first time, why not the second and third time too?

I know that there are a lot of people out there who are pro choice, and this thread is not even about that issue. What this thread is about is are we making it too easy and too acceptable to get abortions? Should we put stricter regulations on it? Maybe counseling with the whole darn family shoudl be required first to explore the options besides aborting.

I mean hey, if these girls knew they were going to have to drag both their parents into the whole affair they might pick up a condom or get on the pill instead. And yes I know that a girl can still get pregnant while using either forms of these contraceptives. But would there be as many? Nope.

I grew up with quite a few girlfriends, and only one other girl besides myself have never gotten an abortion. The others had on average of two each, some even more. I mean come on, this can't be right!

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It is a personal decision and while from this side of the fence it may look bad or extreme there may well be reasons that you do not know about. Abortion for birth control is not the way things should happen but reasons are private and these people have the right to their privacy.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Maybe to them it's safer than taking birth control pills? There are side effects, some of which can be extremely hazardous to their health.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Maybe they find that having an abortion is the last resort. If they cannot get any condoms, then hell, they can always get an abortion.

I agree with abortion on medical grounds, but not as a form of contraception.

Maybe the girl you spoke of never had the understanding that she could discuss the issue of contraception with her parents?

I do know that having numerous terminations can ruin the chances of conception later in life. You might want to make her aware of that one.

I understand that every child experiments with sex at an early age. IE, playing doctors and nurses etc. But at 13 she should have some idea of the repercussions?

How old was the guy who got her pregnant? That is a factor with young girls, they do go for older guys because they find guys their own age are somewhat immature.

Its a sad fact of life nowadays that this allowed to happen. Maybe better education could be the answer? or even stricter criminal sentences for those that impregnate young girls?.

[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Maybe to them it's safer than taking birth control pills? There are side effects, some of which can be extremely hazardous to their health.

Well, I would think that taking birth control pills, although they are horomonal, would be safer than getting an abortion. Abortions can cause infections and damage to a females reproductive organs. And they have so many different types of birth contorl pills today. Pick and choose.

And anyways, there is such a thing as a condom, diaphrams, both at the same time even. Whatever the case, Birth control is a more effective and a more "moral" (ooohh, am I going to get reamed for using that word?) choice.

We as a country are teaching our little girls that multiple sexual partners are okay. I just saw some commercials for a show called "Degrassi" on the Nickelodean channel called Noggin. This show is geared toward elementary school girls. It shows girls having affairs with their teachers, stabbing each other in the back, fooling around with tons of guys. That's great and all.... for an adult. Not young impressionable girls.

So I think that this problem with multiple abortions just stems from a larger problem in our entertainment, our lifestyles, our morals.

What a big job to fix....

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Personally I find it much more disturbing that so many teens are having unprotected sex. There is going to be a resurgence in HIV infections over the next decade that may rival 1980s levels.

The only true and affective alternative is sex education with an emphasis on prevention of STD. People will continue to have sex regardless - better to educate them and protect them.

Bleys

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Yes, I agree. And I think that if we can do this effectively, the problem of abortions will correct also. Abortions of the consequence of unprotected sex the majority of the time. And you know what? Most schools and I think planned parenthood (what a condradction that is
) hand out condoms for free. They are avaiable, just not used.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by seraph5]

new topics

top topics

join