It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is there a silencer for a shotgun???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
is there silencer a for a shotgun???

this would be k00l...

thanks...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
There have been numerous attempts to make a silenced shotgun over the years. It just isnt practical with a bore diameter that large ..as say a 20 or 12 gague.
One attempt involved making a brass telescoping shell where the gas compression used to propel the shot remained in the shell. It was limited in success.
There are so many more ways to silence other arms ...that shotguns are not considered practical in this mode. It just takes to much away from the useful potential of the shotgun. Within its performance envelope a shotgun is a very powerful practical respected tool. Silencing just takes away to much of this practcicality.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I hope you understand that "silencers" are nothing more then flash suppresors and really can only reduce the sound of gunfire to the same level as a loud clap for a FEW weapons

James Bond type silencers only work in the movies.

Even if there were silencers as good as the James Bond ones, why make one for a shot gun when you can use just a well aimed pistol to kill the person jsut as dead

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
from what i understand the police/military issue mp5's can be supressed to nothing more than a rapid clicking.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
I hope you understand that "silencers" are nothing more then flash suppresors and really can only reduce the sound of gunfire to the same level as a loud clap for a FEW weapons

James Bond type silencers only work in the movies.

Even if there were silencers as good as the James Bond ones, why make one for a shot gun when you can use just a well aimed pistol to kill the person jsut as dead

w0w...

of course i know what the hell silencers do...

and how they work...

please...

i play counter-strike source

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Also to add on to what orangetom1999 said....very well put BTW.

A shotgun is a also a psychological weapon......when someone hears that distinct...CHINK CHINK of a round being chambered...it causes people to think otherwise.

The loudness of a shotgun is very important......say cops are raiding a house and they blast someone with an M870 shotgun...that sound has a huge psych toll on other people who might think of attacking the cops.....
getting rid of the Boom would only get rid of the advantage, it's not practical.

Gunfights are 90% psychological and 10% physical/material.......

As napoleon said......he with the bigger boom wins.
And he was reffering to the to the actual BOOM....
Arrows were far more practical back in the day..due to speed, amount and accuracy....but the BOOM is what won the battle....

BTW....I didnt come up with that, I just finished a book...On Combat by John Grossman and that came from his studies.....good book

[edit on 12/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Yeah like sporty said, one of the main advantage of a shotgun is its psychological impact from it’s distinct cocking action and thunderous bang as it discharges. Any body that has ever seen or heard that unique sound knows what’s coming next and would be very hesitant if not down right suicidal to escalate things to the next step. It makes up for its lack of range and slow cycling rate compared to other weapons. And out side of Special ops/swat and highly ingrained and train individual it’s mostly psychological, it’s mostly instincts and muscle memory for these folks, they just have to think it and their body reacts and their minds takes a back seat to ingrained motions and procedures drilled in through hours upon hours of training and preparation. We have to think about every single step, raising your weapon, aiming-shooting, trying to keep an eye on what else is going on, looking for reaction/counter action from your intended target, most of the above actions are pure reflexes to a trained operator once his mentally locked on his target. It’s like the training tom cruise undertook for collateral.

As far as silencers goes, the main school of thought now a days is more than just slapping on a tin drum on the front of you piece. To fully effective sub-sonic ammunition and silencer must be used, or guns specifically design for Sound damping (SD) specifically designed integral silencer and vented barrels like the MP5 SD which could fire regular (sonic) ammunition and still be “relatively” quiet. My friend’s older brother in the Dominican Republic is what would be consider a FBI/secret service equivalent and he gave us a tour of his offices and took us to the firing range, with the SDs you hear the cycling of the rounds and the hammer striking and a hiss (muffled puff) sound, very unique sound and hard to really described. When He started out in that unit he was attached to a security detail following around Bill Clinton and secret service when he was visited for a weekend a few years back. I can’t wait to take another vacation see if I catch up with this guy, I’m pretty sure they must have some new toys (P90, G36…) they always get the best toys (where does he gets those wonderful toys? Jack Nicholson line from batman).

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Try using a pillow up close

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It depends on the caliber and type of weapon. The best weapons for silencing are those with a bolt or a slide that can be locked for single shot. You dont have the opening breech as on a semi auto. Also the velocity of the fired round effects the noise level. Good silenced weapons use subsonic ammunition or a two stage silencer...one stage to bleed off pressures and the other to silence.
The standars plastic drink bottle taped to a small caliber .22 makes a effecient silencer. You can even stuff the bottle with material..like cotton or such to help. In a semi auto pistol..you just put your hand on the slide ..and hold it in the closed positon. Good for one shot. Also recommend you put duct tape on the bottom of the bottle to prevent fragmenting in larger caliber weapons. This is much quieter than a loud clap..much ...Or so I am told. I'd never do this myself you understand!!??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
for those who dont know...dont bother trying to silence a revolver...
You should know that the movies are really dumb on this one.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Best silencer for one shot is a Dr. Pepper 2 ltr bottle with the black base. No one will hear anything except a dim 'thunk'

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There is actually a Belgian/Russian revolver that CAN be silenced.

the Nagant 1895

Source: Modern Firearms website

Yeah, I love Max's site, even registered to their forum, I occasionally drop a message there.

Yeah, I doubt there will ever be a silencer for a shotgun, I imagine that when you fire, the sounds of all the pellets hitting the surounding area will give you away

It would be quite interesting, but I guess it would be better to make an effective silencer for a .50cal rifle.

[edit for adding source URL]

[edit on 13/5/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If we tried a live fired with a new silencer, wouldn't it tear the silencer to shread from the inside out?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Now I'm guessing there isn't a silencer 4 a shotgun. I was curious when I saw No Country 4 Old Men. One dude had a what I thought was a rifle but turned out to be a shot gun with a huge silencer. Oh well thats Movie Magic 4 ya.

top topics

join