It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 degree turn?? tamahawk missle??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
ok today we were talking about military satlites and stuff. and he told me that in early gulf war they had footage of a tamahawk missle going down a street and pulling a 90 degree turn?? could anyone confirm this and maybe show me the footage.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have seen the footage..during the first gulf war. As I recall it was taken from the Al Rasheed hotel where all the foreign correspondents and particuarly Peter Arnette of CNN were staying.
The shot was taken from the balcony on one of the upper floors. The Tomahawk went down the street by the Hotel..made a quick turn and changed course about 90 degrees or so. No it didnt make a abrupt 90 degree turn but from the close proximity of the Hotel it appeared that way.
By the way...this video was shown very briefly among the major networks and then quickly pulled. I do not know of many copies floating around among the public. I believe this video was pulled by higher authorities as they did not want to give away to many of the performance characteristics of the weapons system. It is my belief that the Al Rasheed hotel was used as a IP ..initial point in the navigation system..a check point on the navigation course programmed in the weapons brain. I am sure that this was not done again for reasons of weapons security. Not giving away to many secrets of how this weapon works. You never saw this happen again.
To my limited knowlege these weapons can be programmed not only for course heading but also altitude at which they travel.
It was definitely a fascinating video..albet ..very briefly shown. I'd love to have a copy of this video myself.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Notice..that in all the post war videos..on how great this stuff works..that this film seems to be in none of them..conspicuous by its abscence.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Many missiles today can make very sharp turns in a very short distance.

I was just watching a video of a recent test of some air defense missile from China. The missiels are intended for super low altitude cruise missiles. They would fire at 45 degrees and instantly turn completely horizontal and then make a very very sharp 90 degree turn upward and strike the target. It's very very cool to see how they move as they turn a lot and move really in snake like path instead of straight on.

join