It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Cold War

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
dont worry in a year there will be known as the resource war aka cold war2 which could got hot and Russia true to its past will be knee deep into it.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
In response to the original post, I think you've got it the wrong way around. The Soviets had the Americans vastly outnumbered in terms of troops and tanks. The U.S. response was to vastly build up its nuclear arsenal and forward position nukes in Europe, as it was only with nukes that they could halt a massive Soviet conventional offensive.

However, for the average man on the street, as opposed to the generals and think-tanks, the fear in the *United States* (as opposed to Europe) was of course of being nuked by the USSR. This was for the simple reason that the Soviets would not really be able to mount a ground invasion of the U.S., while they could easily roll through Europe despite a conventional American forward presence there.

This was all in the 50s and 60s, though, when military planners on both sides hadn't yet completely come to terms with the new strategic dynamic brought on by the atomic weapon. Eventually the focus became less on nuclear and conventional strategies combined and more on the very real possibility of a solely nuclear confrontation. The "new" thinking gave rise to the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction in the 70s and 80s and the use of nuclear weapons as a static deterrent, rather than a front-line tool.

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
true smikney......woulda gone nuke in no time, both WPand NATO plans called for thier use early on in almost every plan......i was just indulging in a bit of "what if" specuation....

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Char,

Originally posted by Char2c35t
dont worry in a year there will be known as the resource war aka cold war2 which could got hot and Russia true to its past will be knee deep into it.

I think you are wrong as to the countries involved in the Resource War.

My considered opinion is that it will be between the US, China, Japan and the EU.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
All good stuff here.
Has anyone read the book Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy? I'ts quite old now (I believe it was his second book) but looks at a scenario very similar to this. It is a bit biased towards NATO and focuses on a what if scenario without the nuclear weapons. Great read for anyone interested... Well i thought so anyway.

Thanks
Red Rose

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Red Rose]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Red Rose,

I have read most of Mr Clancy's works.

You should read Debt of Honour and The Bear and the Dragon for examples of potential future Resource Wars.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Red Rose,

I have read most of Mr Clancy's works.

You should read Debt of Honour and The Bear and the Dragon for examples of potential future Resource Wars.

Cheers

BHR

I have both but havnt got round to reading them. Currently reading Rainbow six...again. But once im through with that ill give the other two a look

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Without nukes

If you are referring to the later part of the Cold War (Reagan buildup), then no. The Soviets would have definitely lost to the US. However before then, it probably would have been a draw.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
NWGuy,

I guess we will never know will we?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The Red Army never attacked NATO.

Reason 1. The Red Army was a peace-loving, self-defense, people's
military force protecting Rodina.
Reason 2. Circa 1955-1984, the Red Army respected NATO's tactical
nukes and the will to use them.
Reason 3. Circa 1984-1989 , the Red Army knew that NATO's beefed-
up, hi-tech armies could put the serious hurt on any move
to liberate Paris and all points in between.
Take your choice/s

Salutations to all.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
all i konw about the cold war is that we (russia) hated u guys
and the soviets were rushing to get as many weapons as they could... they said that america is going to nuke them and that they will fight back with something else...
i can always ask some1.... the funny thing is that "yes sir" sounds like "yest sur"
(no letter in english can make the sound of the U in sur) and yest sur means have cheese...

[edit on 26-6-2005 by russiankid]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join