It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Retaining Wall Collapses, Buries Highway in NYC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
A retaining wall next to the West Side Highway in northern Manhattan has collapsed, covering the highway with dirt and rock debris. It is unclear at the moment if any people were buried in the landslide. NYPD and other rescue units are on the scene and nearby apartment buildings have been evacuated.

cbsnewyork.com
A retaining wall has collapsed during a mud slide at 1380 Riverside Drive, at West 181 Street in Washington Heights. Dirt, trees and debris fell into the Henry Hudson Parkway, causing the closure of all lanes.

NYPD is on the scene, using thermal imaging equipment to try and see if anyone is trapped underneath the debris. Parked cars along that stretch of road are buried.

Authorities have evacuated the buildings just east of this collapse.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow this looks like a mess! It would be hard to believe that no one has been buried in this since it happened during late afternoon, a busy time for New York City traffic.

[edit on 5/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Oh my God, I know the area very well.

My ex-girlfriend used to live in that building, I believe.

It's an old retaining wall. Probably built at the same time as GW bridge.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Damn... looks bad. Living in NYC I can tell you all that the Henry Hudson is a pretty busy highway... It's one of the main roads for people who live in the suburbs to get to and from work in the city. I wonder if standard car insurance covers this kind of thing?

-koji K.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
this is blocks away from where I live, I hear the helicopters going around my building circling around to get shots of this. There is a building not too far from where this happend on the same highway that is partly supported by a similar wall, if that one would have gone down that whole building would have just collapsed in two with everyone in there.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
this could be fun to have happen when your coming home from work.time to spend some money on safer roads and roadways nice job nyc keep up those budgets cuts lol.......

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void
this is blocks away from where I live, I hear the helicopters going around my building circling around to get shots of this. There is a building not too far from where this happend on the same highway that is partly supported by a similar wall, if that one would have gone down that whole building would have just collapsed in two with everyone in there.

*Sniff* *Sniff*
Smells like terrorism!

*Sniff* *Snorrrt*
MUSLIM terrorism!!

Just kidding, it's probably just old age.

Zip

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
this could be fun to have happen when your coming home from work.time to spend some money on safer roads and roadways nice job nyc keep up those budgets cuts lol.......

You know I was just out looking for something to replace the melted light cover in the bathroom and was thinking the same thing, miles of highway with no asphault, gaping holes in overpasses with exposed metal supports, pot holes everywhere. This is New Jersey.

I think its time we put Homeland Integrity in the forefront instead of false terror alarms.
You know Russia caved in because they didn't spend money on infrastructure, I was just explaiining that to my daughter while we were out driving.

If anyone got killed by that mess in NYC this is horrible dereliction of government responsibility.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
*Sniff* *Sniff*
Smells like terrorism!

*Sniff* *Snorrrt*
MUSLIM terrorism!!

Just kidding, it's probably just old age.

Zip

that cracked me up when I saw it, I had friends and family calling here all frantic, my aunt called minutes after it happened, she lives even closer to it than I do and heard some of the commotion, she thought a building had fallen (has happened sporadically over years here in NY). Then people wanted to go see if they could go and help in case people were trapped under the rubble but FDNY had everything under control like always, Oh I think the NYPD was also there (kidding).

Anyway things are still a bit messy around here with traffic being redirected all over the neighborhood and the helicopters above.

new topics

top topics

join