It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use Your Ashtray....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
First, I do not smoke, I have never, ever smoked. I have nothing against people who choose to smoke ...... except..

use the frigg"n ashtray in your car... I'm sick and tired of watching people smoking in thier cars, flipping ashes out the window and once they're done smoking, "flip"... there goes the ciggy butt out the window....

This is wrong, it is a form of littering and its a good thing that I'm not a cop, cause I'd give you a ticket for littering !!!

Also, you smokers better hope that you never hit my car with a cig butt, you'll deal with me then !!!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Eh, the ashtray has to be cleaned out, though. The street's a lot easier.

Besides, I think it would be amusing to accidently hit your car with a butt, then have you flag me to the side to enact whatever justice you were planning on, watching you get out of your car and nearly to mine before I take off and leave y'all in the dust...Maybe with another butt

Interestingly enough, at least in Illinois, it is not considered littering to toss your butts. Gum and Smokey treats are the exceptions to the littering laws. So you could give a ticket if you were a cop, but it wouldn't hold up in court.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i do smoke....and yes your right....you should use the ashtray in your car.....i was guilty of flicking butts for ages....until i realised how long they take to decompose........fair point mate.

regards.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I agree...and I think it's a pretty serious problem that goes overlooked by too many cops....

Cigarette litter represents over 20 percent of the litter collected in many community cleanup initiatives and is an environmental problem for any community.

The cigarette filter is cellulose acetate, a man-made fiber spun to look like cotton thread. These fibers break down very slowly, sometimes taking years.

Cellulose acetate may degrade in time, but it is not biodegradable. One research report states that 18 percent of all litter dropped to the ground is washed into streams, rivers, lakes and the ocean by stormwater runoff. Cigarette butts are little and lightweight —they are easily carried with this runoff into our waterways. As the wind and rain carry it along, it catches in flower gardens, grass and open spaces. That’s when children, our pets, and wildlife find it.

The fibers in a cigarette filter and the remaining tobacco contain several residual alkaloids, including nicotine, posing a health problem for wildlife when ingested. Did you know that birds may use it for nesting and even think it's food?

www.kab.org...

I hate stopping at a light and looking down at the road to see an asphalt surfaced COVERED in butts....

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Great rant elevatedone! I'm in total agreement.

Hmm. I think I'll keep a radionic device with me in the car. It might be more effective than giving someone the finger.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
next time you're traveling on a highway and get off at an exit ramp, when you stop at the end of the exit... take a look out your window... notice how many "butts" there are..

makes me wonder if people don't just take an exit to throw out thier "butt".... and then on down the highway... :shk:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I agree elevatedone.
It is rather ignorant to litter....if there is such disregard, why not just throw your trash on the floor of your car and live in your own filth. It irks me to watch....Also, if I am on my motorcycle and a butt gets flicked at me, well I guarantee some sort of violence will ensue.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Aside of the litter factor, there is an even better reason people should always use their ashtrays:

The McLure-Barriere fire wiped out the town of Louis Creek, north of Kamloops. It destroyed 67 homes and caused damages estimated at more than $8.2 million. A volunteer fire fighter’s carelessly discarded cigarette sparked that blaze, which now covers over 19,000 hectares and is 50 per cent contained.

Forest fires devastate B.C. communities

This guy was nearly lynched by the locals when they found out how the fire that destroyed their town started.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
okay honestly i flick ashes out the window but only in the city, and i always use my ashtray to put them out. WHen i'm not in the city, I roll dow my rear windows and ash in the ashtray. People really have to take that more seriously, A lit ciggeratte can cause brush fires!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
About a month of so ago, someone tossed a dying cigarette butt out of their window. It got caught on the back of a bus' mud flap. I just knew the darn thing was going to blow. But of course, it died very shortly after getting caught on the flap.

join