It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did you get into conspiracy theory?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Just a random question for people, as I am curious to know what has led many people to become "conspiracy nuts" (like myself!).

Why did some of you out there in ATS land get into conspiracy thoeries - what prompted you to take a look from the other side of the fence? How has it impacted YOUR LIFE?

For me there is no going back.... alas I have become seduced by the "dark side".

What are YOUR stories....??

[edit on 7-6-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Francis Gary Powers, Kennedy, Nixon, Hughes, Admiral Bobby Ray Inman, Hasenfus, Oliver North... living through all that, you kinda get the idea that what is on the front page is not the whole story.

ATS is like buying wholesale. The real deal.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Real deal?

Maybe, but lots of disinformation too.

This site has some deep thinkers and some swift thinkers- some fantastic finders of obscure information.

As to the question-

- - - until it is proven.

They are all theories until they are proven. Then they become the basis for cover-ups.

The government and others put out a lot of false information. The reason why pretty much depends on one's perspective. Some is to mislead, some to farm for lookers, some to promote and some to cover among other reasons.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I got into conspiracies because we are not always presented with the whole truth. It would be cool to know the truth about everything.

Churchill said, "The truth is so precious that it must be protected by a bodygaurd of lies".

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
For me it's partially the idea of a government that both feels it's above the law and doesn't have my best interest at heart just never sat well with me.

Also I have to honestly say my fascination with the whole UFO thing was probably my entrance into the larger world of conspiracies... many eons ago when I was but a lad.

Spiderj

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I was e-mailed a picture of the largest grizzly ever shot. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but I verified it through a quick google search. I noticed the picture came from a website, so I went there. I stumbled onto a story about the Denver International airport. I had to find out what an illuminati was, so I did another google search, and found ATS. It opened my eyes to a lot of things.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I started looking into conspiracy theories soon after 9/11. The 1st kicker was when the official story was that "they're jealous of our freedom!" I wasn't buying it.

Then after a few days they claimed to know who did it because they found paper passports in the rubble. Strangely enough, the black boxes were unavailable. The government initiates massive investigations into so many lesser things. Yet there is still no massive investigation into what really caused the most devestating attack on US soil. Hello?!?!?!?!

I think I probably could have gotten over these things. But then I became aware that the guys making the decisions are profiting hugely from this conflict. Hello?!?!??!??!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I became interested in the whole conspiracy thing after reading "The Philadelphia Experiment" by Terry Deary. cool book.....

At
mix

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Look, if you're going to post somthing crappy after reading this, please just stop reading & go on to the next post. I'm taking this seriously, just like everything else on this website. We need to stop hindering our thought patterns with ignorance and try to further to human race with open discussion. To be open to anything, logical or illogical, because all we know is what we have been taught. This does not mean if it is foreign it is wrong. It seems that the mind reacts negatively towards foreign information out of fear that we didn't know this information before. There are 38,577 people currently member to this board. We need to take advantage of this opportunity while we can. Just think, if every member stayed home from work tomorrow, things in our world would halt. I'm not implying that iwe should do this, but please never lose sight of the power we have together. So, openyour mind & let me answer the question that brought you here.

Great question! In order to further the discussion (and ALL discussions here,) I suppose I'll be the test subject. My father was a conspiracy reasearcher before I was born. He also collected Nazi flags, pins & anything he could get his hands on, I assume. My mother said he collected conspiracy literature from the John Birch Society. To clarify, he neither a John-Bircher nor a Nazi or Neo-Nazi. Quite the contrary, my first birthday cake was a carrot cake with no sugar. He never wanted me to have sugar. Wish I had remembered that. I never remember meeting him cause he committe suicide when I was 2 1/2 years old.
My mother went off the deep end shortly after that. Then I moved in with my grandparents at 3 1/2. I grew up playing bridge with people 6 or 7 times my age. Every morning we did crossword puzzles and every night we watched Jeoparady. School agrivated me most of the time due to boredom. So I'd talk most of the time and get in trouble. Never did homework, but come Friday (test day,) I'd always get top scores in my classes. Majorly pissed off teachers. Anyway, I quit school in 9th grade after I got a girl pregnant & now I have Agorophobia (and probable Xenophobia,) and all I is watch tv. Then the 2000 election happened. Then 9-11 happened. Then Fahrenheit 9-11 happened.
My mother always told me to be Independant Party so I could choose for myself. She did the same with religion. Between that and knowing my father was looking for something he never found (or possibly did,) I've always been intrigued by conspiracy theories. JFK. RFK. MLK. Scientology. MKULTRA. Germ Warfare. Human Testing. Then the 2004 elections happened.
This was the true turning point. I started watching Washington Journal on C-SPAN, CNN & MSNBC. Before this, I'd listen to Howard Stern (as I have for 10 years,) but now I was wrapped up in the game of politics like I never thought I would be. Total consumption would be the correct term. After all the issues, debates and everything else, it got the country as a whole NOWHERE.
I recently got a computer (a shut-in's best friend,) and have stayed up day at a clip searching through everything I can get my hands on. I feel like I'm putting myself through Conspiracy Theory School. As soon as I wake up it's online I go. The first time I actually talked to another human was on this site. I must say, there are alot of a$$hole in the world.
But from what I can tell, the most interesting topics here are usually filled with fighting, not growth. If 10% of what is said about conspiracies are true, we need to help one another out by furthering the discussions. Concentrate on objectives as a whole instead of going into our own corners then coming out swinging. That's what THEY want. Who is THEY? You can't have a decent discussion about THAT because of debate hazed by religion, biggotry, beliefs & hatered. WE HAVE POWER. THEY ONLY THINK YOU KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE TAUGHT YOU. TIME TO PROVE THEM WRONG.

I'm sorry this was long & that I got off subject, but what do I know. I'm just a 23 year old scared we're all being fooled. Maybe I'm being fooled.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Please E-Mail me if the above interests you.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
basically because of the intrique of what important people have to say ..like for example:

New World Order Quotes

"The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."
--Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli of England, in 1844.

"The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is the American Branch of a society which originated in England ... (and) ... believes national boundaries should be obliterated and one-world rule established."
-- Professor of History Carroll Quigley, Georgetown University, in his book "Tragedy and Hope".

"Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it." - Woodrow Wilson

"[The New World Order] cannot happen without U.S. participation, as we are the most significant single component. Yes, there will be a New World Order, and it will force the United States to change it's perceptions."
-- Henry Kissenger, World Affairs Council Press Conference,
Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel , April 19th 1994

"David Rockefeller is the most conspicuous representative today of the ruling class, a multinational fraternity of men who shape the global economy and manage the flow of its capital. Rockefeller was born to it, and he has made the most of it. But what some critics see as a vast international conspiracy, he considers a circumstance of life and justanother day's work... In the world of David Rockefeller it's hard to tell where business ends and politics begins" . Bill Moyers

"We know in the not too distant future, a half dozen corporations are going to control the media. We took this step (merger) to ensure we were one of them"--Time Warner spokesperson.

"We shall have World Government, whether or not we like it. The only question is whether World Government will be achieved by conquest or consent." -- Statement made before the United States Senate on Feb. 7, 1950 by James Paul Warburg ("Angel" to and active in the
United World Federalists), son of Paul Moritz Warburg, nephew of Felix Warburg and of Jacob Schiff, both of Kuhn, Loeb & Co. which poured millions into the Russian Revolution through James' brother Max, banker to the German government - See the Siss?on Report

"All of us will ultimately be judged on the effort we have contributed to building a NEW WORLD ORDER."--Robert Kennedy, former U.S. Attorney-General, 1967.

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible and exercise their power from behind the scenes."
-- Justice Felix Frankfurter, U.S. Supreme Court.

"I am concerned for the security of our great nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insideous forces working from within."
-- General Douglas MacArthur

"For some time I have been disturbed by the way the CIA has been diverted from it's original assignment. It has become an operational and at times a policy making arm of the government." --
President Harry Truman

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I didn't really become interested in conspiracies until after I joined this board a little more than a year ago. After 911 a guy I worked with was bringing up a lot of theories but I wasn't really interested in them at the time.

After watching Alex Jone's film, Road to Tyranny, I became much more interested in consipacies.

Participating in the discussions here keeps me interested in the topic.
The more I learn about what governments and corporations have done, the less I trust them. I don't take things at face value any more.

[edit on 13-5-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I got interested in it as a child when I saw Kennedy shot over and over on tv and just could not believe in the single bullet theory. I also have always had a hard time believing what I am told by politicians, cough, liars I mean. History has proven that most of them lie and cover up their misdeeds.

I guess I like to study people and can generally tell if a person is lying, take Bush for instance when he is really getting ready to tell a huge lie he hunches up his shoulders and grins, the grin always looks more like he is try to go to the bathroom and is constipated, sorry trying not to be too graphic but watch him next time you will see what I mean.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
At the age of four I saw a UFO floating near my house at night. I was never given the chance to not be a conspiracy theorist as a result.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I found a copy of [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0899666612/103-3737306-0955065?v=glance]None Dare Call it Conspiracy in my dead brother's things in the attic when I was 13.

It warped my perceptions of....everything.... forever.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The first poster I ever owned:

"Trust no one" (big faceshot of George Bush senior)

And my dad making me watch the original "manchurian candidate." when I was younger.

We've never been fans of the status quo. It is too easy to take advantage of.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Oliver Stone's Movie..............JFK.

To some extent also, David Icke's The Biggest Secret

Not that I'm a huge believer in the Shape Shifting Reptillian theory,
however it did inspire me to think outside the square.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
i can't remember getting into conspirasy as such, i just read a lot, didn't watch too much TV (because it gives me a headache) and paid attention to detail,

this led naturely to a view that most people are lying most of the time, weather they know it or not and the only way to get to the truth was to look at as many points af view as possible and see if there wasn't a pattern somwhere that might give me an idication as to where the road to truth might be, so it was just a natural progression,

it might be that i'm just naturally paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   

alas I have become seduced by the "dark side".

ooh, you said that too well. we all agree this conspiracy stuff, as entertaining as it is - cannot be entirely healthy. when you think about it, unfolding a conspiracy is much like studying evil. often the culprits are that bad. after a while, the evil starts to work on you too.

the internet and ATS specifically have been instrumental in my meanderings in the 'dark' - my friend and i were victims of a psychic attack late one night. that really freaked me out. ive had a couple paranormal encounters, and just recently i decided i officially saw a UFO at age 11.

i dont know, the 'fringe' has always been interesting, but it wasnt until i started reading up on it that i could see the correlation between the theories and current events. the past 2 US elections had a lot to do with it too.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I got into Conspiricy theorys because I knoew for fact that Flight 93 wasnt taken down by the "hero's" of that plane. I knew on 9/11 about the call from the bathroom by Ed Felt so I decided to look more into it.

A little hint for you guys, when looking into water that seems inches deep It turns out really to be deeper than you anticipated..

So Like AceofBase I watch 9/11 Road to tyranny and found this site, and it led me to alot of other odd things than the flight 93 incident.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join