It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Wave of Anti-U.S. Protests in Afghanistan; Sparks Riots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
In several cities throughout Afghanistan, Anti U.S/Coalition protests have been occuring. In recent days the largest protest in Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban occured in Jalalabad, which left 4 people dead. Another riot in Kabul claimed the lives of 3 protestors as Afghani Police opened fire on the crowd. The protest is in response to allegations in a Newsweek article that cite prisoner abuse in Guantanamo Bay and desecration of the Holy Koran. Protesters are demanding an apology from President Bush, the release of their prisoners and the immediate withdrawal of occupation forces. More protests are scheduled for Friday.

customwire.ap.o rg
While most of the protesters appeared to be students, officials have suggested that elements opposed to the country's U.S.-backed re-emergence were stirring the violence, which also has targeted the United Nations and American troops.

"It's the symbols of this change in Afghanistan that have been singled out," said Paul Barker, director of CARE International, one of the largest international relief groups in Afghanistan. "There are probably people around the country inciting this."

Police fired on hundreds of anti-U.S. demonstrators Thursday in the town of Khogyani to prevent them from departing toward Jalalabad, about 20 miles to the north, local police chief Maj. Gul Wali said.

Wali said three of the protesters died and one was injured. He claimed many at the gathering were armed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The longer the U.S. and Coalition remain as occupying forces, the citizens of the country will find more reasons to want them out. However the prison scandals in Iraq and allegations of abuse from Guantanamo Bay is not helping the U.S. win over the hearts and minds of these people. It is a very fine line that this country walks when dealing with current two fronts we occupy. While as a country we can say what we are there to promote, it is the actions of a few that can change the entire mindset of a populace. I wish the Afghans a peaceful democratic day of protest tomorrow without any bloodshed at all.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It's troubling that police fired on this group for seemingly just planning to join the protestors in another city. Or did I misread that? Don't US forces have control over the police in Afghanistan?

If things get out of hand there, it could triple the problems in the region. Imagine Afghanistan taking up as much resources to control as Iraq, with Iran sitting right in the middle making nuclear weapons...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Associated Press isn't a good enough source? since when?
Do you prefer the CNN version
Anti-U.S. protests leave 3 dead in Afghanistan
or maybe this one will do?
Afghan Protests Spread to Capital

I would also like clarification on the bias here? Opinions are allowed in the last part of the story under the quote you know. My intro contains factual information only. Tell how this is biased? I am having a difficult time understanding how and why people are voting the way they do.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

However the prison scandals in Iraq and allegations of abuse from Guantanamo Bay is not helping the U.S. win over the hearts and minds of these people.

Well said. The British learnt this lesson the hard way in India and the United States among other colonies.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Very well-written piece, I see no bias in the introductory paragraph, as it should be. The source is fine, in my opinion, although there are many related news stories which could have been referenced.

I would like to add a comment that rioting had left four people dead the day before this incident, so I can understand the police being a bit nervous about this protest. Still, that does not justify these killings.

I would also like to add that several other protests around the country have concluded peacefully.

There is a related ATS thread on this topic, which I feel the need to post simply for a reference, although I cringe at doing so due to the inflamatory nature of the original post. Please see: US troops shoot protestors in afghanistan. to view the related ATS discussion.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Worldwatcher...
Don't let the Neocons trash your angle...
anyone who supports the war, will probably try to see bias... there is none...
it was presented as unbiased or perhaps less biased that CNN, or other news channels...
it would be hard not to take a certain angle on this story.

Good post... about a bad topic... it will open some wounds

but that is what truth does best...

I hope we can get out of there fast, because we have already screwed that pooch... inciting a rebellion against the USSR, by using school books that promoted rebellion, and then leaving those same books with them during our occupation is short sighted at best...
We are training them to resist us. There are still taliban type elements that can marginalize us in the eyes of the warlords...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
*sigh*

If it's anti-US, it's "the hearts and minds of the people"..

If it's pro-US, it's "propaganda" or US-sponsored.

The bias, is in those thinking that the US controls the police.

Liberals just can't stand the idea that the world wants the freedom the US has, and wants our help to get it. Warlords and religious tyrants and gangsters don't care about protests and feel-good-about-yourself fundraisers. Raise "awareness" all you want, but at some time acton must be taken.

The Afghan people didn't want the Soviets or the Taliban. There was no one strong enough to resist the Soviets except the Taliban. And no one would let us go toe-to-toe with the Spetznaz and the Warsaw Pact. the Taliban were tools, fanatics who had the ability to be used for something good for a change. We sure as hell didn't create the Soviet occupation, or do all you good liberals want to blame Bush for that, too?

The power mad have not left, they will still use the same forces of intimidation and manipulation to try to get back into power. They're doing an excellent job of manipulating the Media for sympathy. Bin Laden and his oil-soaked Royal cousins know very well the power the Western Media holds.

And if it means only sacrificing a few of their youth? Just like a car bomb, it's all for the Cause. Incite a riot, get shot at, blame America. Same old script.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
In several cities throughout Afghanistan, Anti U.S/Coalition protests have been occuring. In recent days the largest protest in Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban occured in Jalalabad, which left 4 people dead.

It is of increasing concern that anti-US/Coalition protests in the US will have the same net effects, protest zones or not.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

Liberals just can't stand the idea that the world wants the freedom the US has, and wants our help to get it. Warlords and religious tyrants and gangsters don't care about protests and feel-good-about-yourself fundraisers. Raise "awareness" all you want, but at some time acton must be taken.

The Afghan people didn't want the Soviets or the Taliban. There was no one strong enough to resist the Soviets except the Taliban. And no one would let us go toe-to-toe with the Spetznaz and the Warsaw Pact. the Taliban were tools, fanatics who had the ability to be used for something good for a change. We sure as hell didn't create the Soviet occupation, or do all you good liberals want to blame Bush for that, too?

Those are some good points, albeit ego centric ones...
who is to say that the afgani people don't prefer to be shackled and walked like dogs... to each his own, and they may choose a much different option than americans would prefer...
it is ego centric of americans to assume that our way of life is best for everyone...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

it is the actions of a few that can change the entire mindset of a populace

Unfortuneatly this is the way it is. The US is doing many things in Iraq and Afhganistan to better the community, start education programs and help ease the suffering of the people. Of course nothing will make up thier losses, we can only do the best we can to help.

Just like people say, you can do a million good deeds and be labeled a hero, but one bad deed will mark you a tyrant.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's being reported (at least by FOX) that the Koran rumor may not be the only reason for the protests, it may be that many are protesting Karzai's allowing of some Taliban members back into the government.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

It is of increasing concern that anti-US/Coalition protests in the US will have the same net effects, protest zones or not.

I am sure you would like that very much Mask. You wouldn't care if people die trying to fulfill your own agenda. I know there are quite a few people in these same forums who feel the same way as you.... otherwise you wouldn't be so bold to say such....a comment.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

I am sure you would like that very much Mask.

You are as wrong as wrong could possibly be.

The right to peaceful demonstration is something very important. But it has been eroded in the US along with many other basic human and civil rights in the US, and the erosion continues. Both Afghanistan and the US are police states.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

You are as wrong as wrong could possibly be.

The right to peaceful demonstration is something very important. But it has been eroded in the US along with many other basic human and civil rights in the US, and the erosion continues. Both Afghanistan and the US are police states.

Suuure Mask, is that why you are in prison right now?......

Who is wrong it is you...

i still want to find out since when violent protesters, who were agaisnt any of the presidents/administrations of the US has been allowed to be close to a US president...and what exactly has happened in the past when security was lax around presidents..

I mean liberals are supposed to be smart, yet by some of the things liberals, and some other people proclaim, they don't seem to show much intelligence....

Can any liberal/democrat or whoever claims that protesters should be allowed to be close to a president show us proof of any country in the world where violent protesters are allowed to be close to those presidents, or representatives they are protesting about?..... Anyone?....

BTW, i have seen what a "peaceful demonstration" means to quite a few liberals... i wouldn't call it peaceful.

[edit on 13-5-2005 by Muaddib]

top topics

join