It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Airport Iris Scanning Begins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
At Orlando International Airport in Florida is testing iris-scanning technology, it is the first of it's kind, for a 90-day trial period. The technology is suppose to increase security, and prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to restricted areas.

www.local6.com
Florida's busiest airport will begin using high-tech iris-scanning technology to filter out possible terrorists and add an additional layer of security, according to Local 6 News.

People at Orlando International Airport will have both irises scanned at special computers to determine their identity.

"This will be an additional layer of information that is enrolled, which will be biometric information," OIA director of security Brigitte Rivera Goersch said. "Employees irises will be enrolled for the additional layer of security."

The Airport Access Control Pilot Program or AACPP is a first of its kind, according to the report.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With the de facto national ID card all but certain, the aspect that raises questions is how the national ID card could be conjoined with iris-scanning technology.

One could be required to swipe their national ID card at the scanner, and get their iris scanned. The first time used, it would create a "original" to refer back onto for future reference; when passing through later it would reqire a positive match between the "original" and the current iris scan.

I am personally doing everything I can to alert people to what I believe is an upcoming police state. I personally urge everyone to tell uninformed people about the grossly violating things that Congress is passing, and that our government is implementing.

Related News Links:
www.unisys.com

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
ALRIGHT !!!

this is great news. I'm sure this will also help deter "bad people" from trying to do anything with airplanes in the future...

More security to make America a better place....

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
What I love is how they say it will make us more secure, and catch terrorists.

The only way an iris-scanner can catch terrorists is if...

A) they have the terrorists iris's on file and they are dumb enough to get themselves scanned again

or

B) they have every citizen scanned, and the assumption is that the terrorists will be the ones "not on file", or a once law-abiding citizen becomes a "terrorist" and they are "caught".

Either way, this DOES LITTLE TO NOTHING to improve security in any form. All it does it severely threaten our freeedoms and our founding principles (including "innocent until proven guilty").

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Either way, this DOES LITTLE TO NOTHING to improve security in any form. All it does it severely threaten our freeedoms and our founding principles (including "innocent until proven guilty").

You are reading something into the story that is not there. The purpose of the device is to make sure only authorized personnel enter secure areas of the airport. That would be employees of the airport, police etc who would have their scans on file.

I see this as a good step in the right direction, that way only those authorized can enter restricted aeas.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Indeed, the people that did 911 had valid licenses. Valid Licenses, not illegal ones.

All this is an indication that the Terror Wars need to be fought as quickly as possible. Trying to defend against an enemy you can't defend at, putting the entire society under seige, is dangerous. Look at Athens. It was invested by the Spartans in their big war. What did the progenators of modern democracy and the open society do when under this stress and assault? Destroy the enemy? Rally together? No, they trumped up charges on socrates and executed him. The US isn't magically better than the rest of humanity, a seige mentality will take its toll.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
From what I understand the machine requires that both irises be scanned. What if you have pink-eye and the doctor gave you a patch over one eye until it cleared up? No work for you!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Shots,

I disagree, and believe it is you who is reading it wrong. I say in the introduction that it will be used for such purposes (prevent unauthorized persons from entering restricted areas) and even provide the Unisys link to boot. I will however insert a sentence clearifying it for those who may be mislead. EDIT INSERT(If I could, what happened to the edit button for it? I have one for this post. Were the editing rules changed during my absence?)

If you really want to know, it's in the National Intellegence Reform Act of 2004 which sets up the system of allowing certain people (police, etc.) to use this type of technology, bypassing them from going through the normal security gate.

In the opinion portion, I do elaborate on how I think iris-scanning technology might be merged with the recently passed national ID. Which expressly fits in the purpose of the OPINION section.

Originally posted by shots
You are reading something into the story that is not there. The purpose of the device is to make sure only authorized personnel enter secure areas of the airport. That would be employees of the airport, police etc who would have their scans on file.

I see this as a good step in the right direction, that way only those authorized can enter restricted aeas.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by BeingWatchedByThem]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I made my comments based on your 2nd reply not what was stated in the intro or comments. This is the statement I was repling to.

That is where I disagree, I think it enhances airport security and does not threaten any of our freedoms. Don't you think our airports should be secure? What better way to make the more secure then scanning the Iris to make sure they are authorized personnel?

top topics

join