It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Believes the Rapture?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Growing up, I was privy to 'false newspapers' being printed by fundie groups, showing a car with 2 people, then just one, and 2 drivers and the driver was gone..I studied those with a lot of fascination, and as I got older, I now believe the rapture will 'happen.'
All I can say is "I will be seeing some of you at the motherships, remember to introduce yourself as an ATS member.."

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I don't really believe that the rapture will occur but I'm somewhat of a Gnostic Christian and thus view the bible as more of a set of guidelines and moral truths. I don't know what will happen at the end times and I don't really believe in a mass exodus of souls all at once as the Rapture states, but man the Tribulations would be quite a ride; I'd almost like to stick around just to see that.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
I don't really believe that the rapture will occur but I'm somewhat of a Gnostic Christian and thus view the bible as more of a set of guidelines and moral truths. I don't know what will happen at the end times and I don't really believe in a mass exodus of souls all at once as the Rapture states, but man the Tribulations would be quite a ride; I'd almost like to stick around just to see that.

Yep, I hope I live long enough to 'see' the tribs also..
And what if a person has been cremated? Do they not get to go in the X-ian belief? So many questions, so little time...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
bible.gospelcom.net...
quicksearch=rapture&qs_version=9

Passage lookup results
Sorry. No results found for "rapture" in Passage Lookup.

Keyword search results
Sorry. No results found for "rapture" in Keyword Search.

Topical index results
Sorry. No results found for "rapture" in Topical Index.

I searched every english version of the bible on biblegateway. The only occurrences of rapture in ANY of them were the following:

from bible.gospelcom.net...

Song of Solomon 2:3 (Darby Translation)
As the apple-tree among the trees of the wood, So is my beloved among the sons: In his shadow have I rapture and sit down; And his fruit is sweet to my taste.

John 20:20 (Amplified Bible)
So saying, He showed them His hands and His side. And when the disciples saw the Lord, they were filled with joy (delight, exultation, ecstasy, rapture).

Song of Solomon 6:12 (The Message)
Before I knew it my heart was raptured, carried away by lofty thoughts!

None of them have anything to do with the idea that some people will ascend to heaven while others stay behind on earth. Based on the Bible, I would have to conclude that there will be no 'rapture'.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Huh, I have a very religious friend who always told me that the term Rapture was based on biblical references. Now I feel like a moron who just read The Left Behind series.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
At the risk of seeming like a loonie, I believe in the rapture.

I'm one of those kooks who is a biblical literalist.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The "Rapture" is not mentioned as such specifically in the Bible, in either Revelation or elsewhere...

However, it is "implied" when mentioning the people to be saved during the end times. There are a few different ways to read the rather ambiguous wording, but to me, going strictly from scripture, it would seem that only 144000 get a ticket, and they must all be virgin male descendents from the original 12 tribes of Israel (i.e. 12000 from each tribe). This is from the top of my head though, and no Bible near me at the office....so I can't give you the exact verses (unless looking it up, it's in Revelation).

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The word "rapture" does not exist in the Bible, but those who believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God will meet him in the clouds when he returns. Mind you, when he returns, that is not the end. He will reign here for 1000 years. No one will die, there will be no hunger, there be no pain, but there WILL BE those who do not believe in Him that lived through the tribulations. After the 1000 years, Satan will be released again for "a short season". This is when Satan and those who, once again, succumb to his deceit will be cast into the lake of fire.

As for being here to see it all...I believe we have less than 10 years...
Any questions?

[edit on 12-5-2005 by BadMojo]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The bible, apparently, doesn't support the idea of a pre-tribulation rapture, at least in some readings. The verses associated with the rapture don't say 'rapture' btw, i don't recall what the verses are tho.

Also, in those Left Behind books, they make it out ot be millions of evangelical christians who get taken up. If there is support for a rapture in the bible, its for 144,000 people no? Which is very few.

Infact, its fewer than any sect of christians no? So no sect, whether the catholics, protestants, evangelicals or greek orthodox, will all be saved, no groups 'beliefs' are sufficient in a sense.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here is a site that discusses this in depth..
Perhaps the rapture is a Pentecostal, Church of G-d belief?

www.raptureready.us...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
If there is support for a rapture in the bible, its for 144,000 people no? Which is very few.

The 144,000 mentioned refers to Jews who have converted to Christianity and are preaching the word.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You could believe in this kind of stuff if you wanted to but it could cramp your style especially if you undertake writing anything more than a few words long, how could you ever know if you were going to finish what you were

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Some people believe in God and the scriptures. Why is it such a big deal? Why can't those who don't just accept that some do and leave it at that? Those who do believe it should not condemn and criticize those who don't, either.:shk:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Some people believe in God and the scriptures. Why is it such a big deal? Why can't those who don't just accept that some do and leave it at that? Those who do believe it should not condemn and criticize those who don't, either.:shk:

Same applies to politics...

As for Rapture, if they want to believe...then it is real to them. Good enough.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
As for Rapture, if they want to believe...then it is real to them. Good enough.

Why can't we all just get along...?

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
OMG...

I agree with EKC...

in that... I believe in the Rapture.... and "why can't we all get along"...

:shk::shk:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
and "why can't we all get along"...
:shk::shk:

I was being sarcastic there..

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The English word "rapture" is derived from the Latin word "rapere", which was a translation of the original Greek word "harpazo."
The translation simply means to be caught up, snatched up, or seized, all three definitions can be applied to the way it was used by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4: 13-17

1Th 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

1Co 15:51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The 144,000 are indeed the jewish converts who become preachers of a sort. It is they who are like the Levites of the OT. The priests if you will.
They will preach Gods word like the prophets of old.
They are not the rapture. They are saved during the tribulation. Many are saved because of them. More then 200 MILLION...because it is a number no man can count

I believe in a pre Tribulation rapture.

Why?
Because everything in the NT has an example or two in the OT.
The Passover in Egypt ... the sacrifice of Christ.
Going through the red sea .. baptism
ministered to by God in the saini for 40 years...ministered to by angels in the desert for 40 days
The leader Moses had to die before his people could go into the promise land...Christ had to die before we could receive the promise (eternal life)

In Deut 18:18 we are told that God will send someone like Moses...that is Jesus.

So what about the trib?
Noah and the ark.

The ark is representative of Jesus, and Noah+family is the church.
7 days before the end of the world, Noah went into the ark.
7 years before the end of the world(as we know it), the rapture takes the saints

The feast of tabernacles and feast of trumpets are prophecy in the same way passover and first fruits were. Learning them will help you much

[edit on 13-5-2005 by jake1997]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The bible, apparently, doesn't support the idea of a pre-tribulation rapture, at least in some readings. If there is support for a rapture in the bible, its for 144,000 people no? Which is very few.

Infact, its fewer than any sect of christians no? So no sect, whether the catholics, protestants, evangelicals or greek orthodox, will all be saved, no groups 'beliefs' are sufficient in a sense.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by Nygdan]

There's plenty of support for the rapture in the Bible. First God has already raptured people before. Enoch and Elijah. John in a sense was raptured to heaven to write the Book of Revelation.

Luke 21:36 tells of it
1st Thessalonians tells of it
2 Thessalonians tells of it
Acts ch. 15 tells of it
Matthew ch 24 tells of it

there are more plenty more.

If you have read the Bible you know more than 144,000 people are christians. These 144,000 will belong in the 2nd rapture trip.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
db, as for Elijah and Enoch, they were translated. I'm at work and don't have Strong's Concordance available, so I'm not sure what the original texts used.

John was "taken in the Spirit". This could be a vision or an "out-of-body" experience, but i don't think it was a physical experience. The use of the term spirit would reflect this.

The 144,000 are "sealed in their forehead" before the tribulations start. My personal take is that these "virgin Jews" will not be subject to these tribulations and will preach the Word to nonbelievers during these times. Note that "virgin" may not mean in a sexual context.

There will be only one "rapture"...after all of the tribulations.

I found an online concordance. "Translation"-Greek root is: to put away or set aside.
"in the Spirit"-Greek root: breath or wind (need to research more)

[edit on 14-5-2005 by BadMojo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join