It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US troops shoot protestors in afghanistan.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
This is the democracy the US claims to export.

www.boston.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

Two killed, dozens hurt in Afghan protest

By Stephen Graham, Associated Press Writer | May 11, 2005

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Afghan police and U.S. troops opened fire to control hundreds of rioting students Wednesday angered at alleged abuse of the Quran at the U.S. jail in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, killing two protesters and injuring 40, officials said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The shooting occurred in the eastern city of Jalalabad, where demonstrators smashed the windows of cars and shops and threw stones at a passing convoy of American soldiers. Mobs also broke into U.N. compounds and burned two cars. No U.N. staff were reported hurt.

"They are very angry and are spread over all over the city," intelligence chief Sardar Shah told The Associated Press. "There are police, army and Americans shooting into the air. ... We've tried to get control but I think it is impossible."

At one point, officials said students chanting "Death to America" and "Death to Bush" threw stones at a group of American military vehicles. U.S. troops had fired into the air before quickly leaving the area, he said.

A U.S. military spokeswoman in Kabul had no information on the incident.

An Associated Press Television News cameraman said the crowds grew larger and wilder after the firing and that the streets were void of traffic. Mobs pelted a government office and the local television station with rocks and tore down posters of President Hamid Karzai.

Deputy health chief Mohammed Ayub Shinwari said two protesters were killed and 40 injured. Many were being treated in Jalalabad hospital for bullet wounds, he said.

Students held similar but peaceful protests in cities in neighboring Laghman province and Khost, further to the south, suggesting the protests were coordinated.

The demonstrations began Tuesday, when protesters burned an effigy of President Bush over a report in Newsweek magazine that interrogators at Guantanamo Bay placed Qurans on toilets in order to rattle suspects, and in at least one case "flushed a holy book down the toilet."

In Washington, the State Department on Tuesday described the reported desecration as "reprehensible."

"Obviously, the destruction of any kind of holy book, whether it's a Bible or a Quran or any other document like that, is something that's reprehensible and not in keeping with U.S. policies and practices," State Department spokesman Tom Casey said.

Casey said the allegations are "certainly serious and it would be important to have them be looked into."

Witnesses said students also demanded the release of all prisoners from Guantanamo, and that "American troops don't stay in Afghanistan forever" -- tricky issues likely to be discussed when Karzai meets Bush in Washington later this month.

The government of neighboring Pakistan -- like Afghanistan, a conservative Muslim nation and close ally in Washington's war on terrorism -- on Saturday said it was "deeply dismayed" over the magazine report and called for an inquiry.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
How's this

I'll kick of the conversation.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I see no problem, the mob was obviously violent and threatening lives and property. I doubt the troops or Afghans were prepared with riot gear such as rubber bullets and tear gas so had to use live ammunition to control the violence.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
why do i suspect that if this same thing happened in the states you would be up in arms. btw it will happen soon enough.

what did they think would happen after desicrateing (yet again) a book that is held as being holy? how would you react if your sacred books were flushed down a toilet just as a measure to piss off inmates? this is just the type of thing that i'm learning to expect from the us. it is amazeing how far my opinion of the once great us is falling. latetly my respect is dwindleing further and further. to make it worse i am half american and a fair portion of my family live there. i think that is what distresses me so much untill recent years i thought the us could do no wrong.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a crazed mob? what else do you expect them to do? ask them all nicely to go home and have tea? ok i admit using live rounds for crowd control is a little extreme but they must of thought it necessary, maybe the angry MOB who was smashing the town up posed a serious threat?

and the book was only a book? does religion not live in the heart of the person?

[edit on 12/5/05 by jayce]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Welcome to the NWO, your bases are belong to me!
ok, seriouly, they are angry about a book, burning cars, stroming UN compounds just becacuse of a freaking book! this is 2005 correct?

Edit: remove bad words

[edit on 12-5-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
to them it is NOT just a beeping book. that is what people need to understand. it is not like say a tom clancy novel. it is held in as high regaurd as the us constitution to an american, the gran grimour or the bible. it would be the same as going to india and slaughtering all the cows. some beeping book indeed. i would ask that some people at least try to remove their heads from their butts about things like this.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
"I doubt the troops or Afghans were prepared with riot gear such as rubber bullets and tear gas so had to use live ammunition to control the violence."

Is that the only excuse you could find for killing people, that you left your non lethal weapons at home? did the dog eat it? pathetic.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
"I doubt the troops or Afghans were prepared with riot gear such as rubber bullets and tear gas so had to use live ammunition to control the violence."

Is that the only excuse you could find for killing people, that you left your non lethal weapons at home? did the dog eat it? pathetic.

another excuse is they they are burning cars and storming into UN buildings metion in the news above you posted. so... burning cars and storming into "UN" buildings is not a crime?

and yes, drogo i think i understand now

[edit on 12-5-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

did i say this was a excuse for shooting "into the air" i dont think so!
and my dog is quite big so the possiblity is there!

[edit on 12/5/05 by jayce]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
to them it is NOT just a beeping book. that is what people need to understand. it is not like say a tom clancy novel. it is held in as high regaurd as the us constitution to an american, the gran grimour or the bible. it would be the same as going to india and slaughtering all the cows. some beeping book indeed. i would ask that some people at least try to remove their heads from their butts about things like this.

Consider head removed!
i understand materialistic things matter now!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
" half american and a fair portion of my family live there. i think that is what distresses me so much untill recent years i thought the us could do no wrong. "

Don't be upset or distressed friend,
the truth is a beautiful thing, no matter what it is. You don't have to be ashamed because there are good americans out there, true patriots who are fighting the regime in controll of the US. They raise the pride and the spirits of people all around the whole world.
you can be among them too.

Just like hans and sophie scholl who fought against the nazi regime during world war 2. The world remembers you sophie, hans, your deaths where not in vain!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

another excuse is they they are burning cars and storming into UN buildings metion in the news above you posted. so... burning cars and storming into "UN" buildings is not a crime?

Do you shoot people in the US for burning empty cars and storming buildings?

No wonder no one belives you when you talk about "democracy". Hypocracy, more like it.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   

i think you find they do!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well at least you admit it.

And you claim that your regime is not repressive? laughable.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

No wonder no one belives you when you talk about "democracy". Hypocracy, more like it.

Of course people are at risk at being shot by police when they engage in such activity!

Democracy doesn't mean a total lack of law enforcement and mob rule, no violent mobs are ever allowed in the U.S. or any other democratic nation -- we only allow peaceful protest.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
This isn't to do with materialism, it is about symbolism.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
actions of your troops more.

It exposes you for the villians that you are.

Here you've told me, in the US, it's a death sentence is handed out to anyone that destroys public property.

Good, let the world now that.

Who are the materialists now.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
what the hell did you want them ( the troops ) to do..

Give the crowd a cookie and hug

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
This isn't to do with materialism, it is about symbolism.

i was just pointing out the fact that there is no need to start a raging MOB because the teachings in the book are kept in the hearts and mind of those who read it as in any religion..

it maybe a symbolic book but there are other ways for this to delt with!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join