It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarin Vapor Detected From Weapons Pile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
And no, it wasn't found in Iraq either... We bomb and invade other countries SUPPOSEDLY because they had chemical and biological weapons, and yet right her ein our own backyard, one our many many stock piles of chemical weapons has sat around and started leaking deadly Sarin Gas. Hmmm we have sarin gas weapons... maybe somebody needs to come bomb the crap out of us and get us back into compliance with UN resolutions we pushed through...

www.charter.net...
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:35 AM EDT
The Associated Press

Vapor from the deadly nerve agent sarin leaked from a stockpile of old rockets at the Blue Grass Army Depot, but officials said it posed no danger to the public.

The sarin vapor did not escape the sealed container, or "igloo," where the weapons are kept. Officials were filtering the air inside the igloo Tuesday before trying to enter the structure to secure the leaky rocket.

Workers discovered the leak when they tested the air inside the igloo, said Richard Sloan, public affairs officer for Blue Grass Chemical Activity, the Army unit charged with monitoring and securing chemical weapons.

The igloo, which contains about 2,500 rockets, is monitored daily because rockets there have leaked in the past, Sloan said.

Oh yeah, but it is ok for us to lead the world in manufacture and stockpile of chemical and biological weapons, because we're the good guys.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
And no, it wasn't found in Iraq either... We bomb and invade other countries SUPPOSEDLY because they had chemical and biological weapons, and yet right her ein our own backyard, one our many many stock piles of chemical weapons has sat around and started leaking deadly Sarin Gas. Hmmm we have sarin gas weapons... maybe somebody needs to come bomb the crap out of us and get us back into compliance with UN resolutions we pushed through...

www.charter.net...
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:35 AM EDT
The Associated Press

Vapor from the deadly nerve agent sarin leaked from a stockpile of old rockets at the Blue Grass Army Depot, but officials said it posed no danger to the public.

The sarin vapor did not escape the sealed container, or "igloo," where the weapons are kept. Officials were filtering the air inside the igloo Tuesday before trying to enter the structure to secure the leaky rocket.

Workers discovered the leak when they tested the air inside the igloo, said Richard Sloan, public affairs officer for Blue Grass Chemical Activity, the Army unit charged with monitoring and securing chemical weapons.

The igloo, which contains about 2,500 rockets, is monitored daily because rockets there have leaked in the past, Sloan said.

Oh yeah, but it is ok for us to lead the world in manufacture and stockpile of chemical and biological weapons, because we're the good guys.

Good job selectively quoting only what you want people to read. You forgot to quote a very important part RIGHT UNDER THE MAIN TEXT you quoted.

The Pentagon agreed last month to release funding to build a special facility to destroy the 523 tons of chemical agents stored in 45 igloos at the depot, and to build a similar facility at a depot in Pueblo, Colo. Seven such stockpiles exist nationwide.

For anyone reading this click the link: www.charter.net...

and read it yourself. I'm calling shaningans on this.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by microcosm]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yeah, you're right, that totally mitigates our hypocrisy. Destroying the leaky old ones at this facility....
The point of this thread is to show that we have Sarin gas deploying weapons, stockpiles of them. Sorry, it went right over your head apparently, try this link...
dictionary.reference.com...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I'm not trying to mitigate, or deny anything... according to the link you posted yes we have sarin gas deploying weapons... and according to the same source you listed, we are also working towards the destruction of those weapons.

One thing I hear everyone preaching is Deny Ignorance, Deny Ignorance...

Ignorance being: the condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Well according to you... The point of this thread is to show that we have Sarin gas deploying weapons, stockpiles of them.

So I imagine, that in the spirit of "denying ignorance" you were also making another thread to inform us that the US is currently working to dismantle those same weapons?

Having stockpiles of sarin gas deploying weapons ready to use is one thing, having old ones in storage, waiting to be destroyed is another. With your UN comments, you make it seem as if we have stockpiles of these things on stanby, ready to use tommorow evening.

But that was my misunderstanding... I didn't realize you were also gonna tell us that we're gonna dismantle the weapons in another thread. You were going to right?

Not only that... but as far as the hypocrite thing. We're destroying the weapons, which is what we want other countries to do as well... sorta sounds like we're practicing what we preach...

[edit on 12-5-2005 by microcosm]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
No, but I would point out that we have been dismantling these weapons for three years now. The leak is recent news, our so called efforts to dismantle them has been in the media for years.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
In fact i think the US are the only ones honoring the agreement to destroy chemical & Biological weapons, last i heard 20% of the american stockpile had been destroyed and that was few years back im sure now much more of it is being destroyed. Russia on the other hand agreed to the same but have not even began to start. Hypocrisy Indeed.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Meanwhile, we lead the world in production, and export of nuclear, bioweapons and chemical agents.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by twitchy]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
it would be really nice if we ........and WE being the ENTIRE human race....had never figured out how to create chemical and biological weapons.

but since we DID figure it out..........at least we're (the USA) is responsible enough to monitor the stockpiles..........ck for leaks and clean up the stuff as well as keep up security so no one gets hurt and no weapons are stolen before they're destroyed.

angie

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Twitchy, despite your spin, it is not illegal for the U.S. to possess Sarin gas.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Meanwhile, we lead the world in production, and export of nuclear, bioweapons and chemical agents.

Twitchy,

Do you have a link to back up that statement?

Unless you are calling medical devices and medicine, "NBC" exports. The US is the leader in medical exports...The United States continues to make significant contributions to improving patient care around the world. The United States is the largest producer of medical technology in the world, as well as the world's largest exporter of medical devices.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well whaddata know... Another thread to bash the USA. Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

I got irritated yesterday and I guess I still am irritated today.

We, the USofA, never claimed to be perfect. We may not even be right in some of the things that we do, or don't do, but people who just sit out there behind a keyboard and anonymously bash on us for being a bully, are just as much a bully.

I don't really care that you despise us. No matter what we do, you folk (and I'm not calling libs or conservatives, democrats or republicans, nor even enemies of the USofA)... I'm calling you out as folks who sit behind your keyboards and throw spite, just because it's fashionable.

I don't really care to get into pi****g contests over what countries do or do not do that is right. It, after all, isn't that hard to see the shortcomings with every country in the world. We are not perfect, none of us.

We have literally megatons of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons in stockpiles, and storage. We are trying mightily to get rid of them. They serve no purpose now. At one time, regardless of what your politicometaphysicoethicomoral outlook may be, all those weapons were all that stood between us (yes us, and probably you also) and complete domination and enslavement. Many of you are not old enough to remember the day Kruschev stood behind the podium, and pounding on said podium, with his shoe, loudly proclaimed, "WE ... WILL ... BURY ... YOU"!

I don't know how it works in your happy little national fairyland, but if you come at me here in the horrible USofA and threaten to bury me... Being that I really enjoy my life and the task of living it well, I am going to take you quite seriously.

I will take whatever steps are necessary to make it awfully difficult, if not impossible, for you to do so without assuring your own destruction... And so it happened.

Now, with another generation of ne'erdowells, men who would be king of the world, and just generally evil little persons, we still find ourselves in a position where we can now safely destroy or deactivate those NBC weapons. However, that takes time, planning, effort and tons of money. It also has more than likely been put to the back burner in light of everything else that is happening (for better or worse, as we are not angels).... We do not, however, have our eyes on being NBC bullies.

Some of you, who claim to be so enlightened compared to us "Sheeple" Americans, need to get out of the house and quit jerking around to pictures of Che Guevarra, and fantasy socioeconomic fantasies put together by men and women in ivory towers (think tanks and so on) and get a whiff of real air and find out what reality is really like. It ain't pretty. Those aforementioned dictators, murderers, men who would be king and general nefarious wastes of flesh, will not let it be,.

If the bad guys weren't rattling their sabres at us and threatening nuclear wastelands, and commited efforts to bury us (here we go again), it would be your countries turn. And I kind of suspect that your leaders couldn't do much better. We Americans are big affable lummoxes. We like to live our lives and be left alone to do that, but when you see things happening that are threatening, either real or imagined you react. If your idea of freedom is sitting there and letting the bad guys be bullies and run over you, then I feel sorry for you. You deserve what you get. That ain't life, and that ain't a way of being that a freeman or a freewoman would consider living.

Now... I'm not a neocon. I'm not a democrat. I'm not a Super Nationalist. I just think that you folks who are so eager to slam on us are the very would be banes of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that you accuse us of being.

After all, and just to give you all a little more ammunition to shoot at me....

Money talks and B***S**t walks. And I honestly believe that many of you can not even begin to walk the walk.

And I'm calling this thread biased and crap!

RANT OFF

edited for several "emotional" misspelled words

[edit on 12-5-2005 by sigung86]

[edit on 12-5-2005 by sigung86]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

See? You understand perfectly...

It's always been do as I say, not as I do...that's what makes a Superpower.

cjf

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

This 'seems' to be the premise of your post, if it is please share some info.
BTW: Good job starting a needed discussion on DU!

Yeah, you're right, that totally mitigates our hypocrisy. Destroying the leaky old ones at this facility.... The point of this thread is to show that we have Sarin gas deploying weapons, stockpiles of them. Sorry, it went right over your head apparently, try this link...

No, but I would point out that we have been dismantling these weapons for three years now. The leak is recent news, our so called efforts to dismantle them has been in the media for years.

Decade after decade of mass production and huge stockpiles are not going to go away overnight, however they are diminishing at a good safe clip.Quick Reference The US recognized in the late 1960's the 'need' of such weapons was indeed diminishing and began and initiated a program to dismantle, at least at a starting level under Presidential orders, CB grade weapons. Weapons will be limited to defensive (link) purposes (the seed of current US CB weapon policy). The complete eradication of the weapon types has been pushed back from 2007 to 2011 under current disposal scheduling. Some sources differ in the estimated dates of completion, that said, the goal is at least set and work to this end is in progress inside the US. Link

Originally posted by Garzok

quote:

See? You understand perfectly...

It's always been do as I say, not as I do...that's what makes a Superpower.

Very true, history as well as the present reflects this time after time; not just the US. Or one may also claim a strong argument for “damned if you do and damned if you don’t”. Many nations have, by manufacture or trade, established vast stockpiles of CB weapons which are not currently being dismantled or destroyed let alone accounted for. These nations may not be classified as a ‘Superpower’ but the convention still applies as does the applicable and appropriate claim individually to hypocrisy and/or potential to commit crimes against humanity. Brief list of Nations

new topics

top topics

join