It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of Nightmares - Anyone seen it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Just read an article about a documentary I've been hearing a lot about lately, but haven't yet seen (and probably won't for a while, being in America, if the authors of the article are correct). An excerpt:

"But the film is even more incendiary for its analysis of what Curtis controversially insists is the largely illusory fear of terrorism in the west since 9/11. Curtis argues that politicians such as Bush and Blair have stumbled on a new force that can restore their power and authority - the fear of a hidden and organised web of evil from which they can protect their people. In a still-traumatised US, those with the darkest nightmares have become the most powerful and Curtis's film castigates the media, security forces and the Bush administration for extending their power in this way. "It has really touched a nerve with people who realise something is not quite right with the way terrorism has been reported."

For these reasons, one might well think that The Power of Nightmares would provide a usefully chastening corrective to the prevailing orthodoxy if it were shown on US television. But it seems extremely unlikely that it will be. While a two-and-a-half -hour film version is to be given a prime-time Cannes screening, and while the original three-hour series will be shown tonight on al-Jazeera along with a live interview with the director, US telly has run scared from showing it. "Something extraordinary has happened to American TV since September 11," says Curtis. "A head of the leading networks who had better remain nameless said to me that there was no way they could show it. He said, 'Who are you to say this?' and then he added, 'We would get slaughtered if we put this out.'" "

film.guardian.co.uk...

It sounds intriguing, and I was wondering if anyone on ATS has seen it yet?

-koji K.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Try doing a Torent search. The documentary is available on-line.

I won't give a link cause I'm not sure about the legal stuff, but try looking for "isohunt". Go from there.

It is defineatly worth watching. It will open your eyes about Cheney and co. and their methods.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I've seen the three part series and it was pretty interesting.
I posted the links before and will post them again for you since you haven't seen it yourself.

The Power of Nightmares 1 - Baby It's Cold Outside.rm
19.6MB
59:22

The Power of Nightmares 2 - The Phantom Victory.rm
19.4MB
58:52

The Power of Nightmares 3 - The Shadows In The Cave.rm
64.4MB
58:59

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Awesome, thanks for the .rm links and the isohunt tip! Looks like my bandwidth is allocated for the next hour or two.. Will watch them tommorow.

-koji K.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I've seen it too, it is really good. It shows how it all started and it puts the things into a very, lets say, interesting perspective.

JAK

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
There is an existing thread about the porgrammes available here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a post that you might find of interest:

Originally posted by JAK
Just thought I'd put the BBC links for each episode (and a few others) on the same post:

BBC - The Power of Nightmares I: Baby It's Cold Outside

BBC - The Power of Nightmares II: The Phantom Victory

BBC - The Power of Nightmares III: The Shadows In The Cave

Kuro5hin: The Rise of the Politics of Fear

The Guardian - Andy Beckett: The Making of the terror Myth

Jack

Jak

[edit on 12/5/05 by JAK]

top topics

join