It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots of satelites spotted!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm seeing an exceptional amount of satelites in the night sky, little tiny dots that move quickly from horizon to horizon going in a slight arc.

Is there something special in the atmosphere or in the way the sun's light hits the earth/satelites?

I never have been able to spot so many of them, I had a ~5 minute session of stargazing and I saw 2 of them.

A night before I saw one very bright one and 2 smaller ones, I also was able to spot Jupiter

So do you have any explenations on why i'm spotting so many?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I dont have an explanation, but if you are interested in trying to identify them, perhaps these links will help.

education.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.heavens-above.com...

xu

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
actually whenever I stare up to a clear night sky I see 5 to 8 sattelites in 10 minutes, they are all over the place, you just need a clear, cloudless night sky.

E_T

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I also was able to spot Jupiter
That shouldn't be hard!

And there's thousands of satellites up there... that's because old satellites are just left there after their operating life is over.

If you just go outside cities and light pollution you'll see satellites continuously... there can be two or three on the sky at same time, going to different directions.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well I was just letting you guys know about my evening of star gazing

Well, it's just that I never saw so many satelites since I live in the most densely populated place in europe and there is a LOT of light polution, the sky is usually orange when there is overcast at night...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I’ve heard the best time to view them is right after the sun goes down. I also found a site with some good satellite viewing tips.

pages.prodigy.net...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I track satelites all night at a GEODSS site on Diego Garcia, unfortunately they look like white lines across a computer screen. I wish we had the technology to actually "see" the satelites we track!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I’ve heard the best time to view them is right after the sun goes down. I also found a site with some good satellite viewing tips.

pages.prodigy.net...

Yup! Usually the best time to spot the ISS as well

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Just find the closest city(or your city) and click on it and it will show a page like this.

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hey thanks for the link sardion…I’ll see if I can’t find the ISS.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Hey thanks for the link sardion…I’ll see if I can’t find the ISS.

If you have a clear and flat skyline it shouldn't be too difficult to spot with the naked eye. It's very bright and moves very fast. Alot easier then spotting satellites thats for sure.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

join