It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Elderly Woman Survives Nine-Story Fall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
A seventy-year-old woman in Fort Lauderdale, FL, fell nine stories from her the balcony of her condominium, landing on a street-level canopy. She was alert and talking when emergency workers arrived. Her injuries were described as non-life-threatening.

abcnews.go.com
A 70-year-old woman survived a nine-story fall from a condominium tower Wednesday when she landed on a canopy, officials said.

The woman was cleaning her balcony when she fell at Coral Ridge Towers and landed on a first-floor canopy, according to the Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue.

The woman, whose identity wasn't released, was alert and talking when rescuers arrived.

She was transported to Broward General Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, rescuers said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess what they say about your time being up must have some validity, or, in this case, it sure seems that way. If she had hit the pavement, they would have had to scoop up the mess. Even her landing on the canopy was no guarantee of survival. Having survived some very close calls myself, I'd like to hear her story.

Related News Links:
www.guinnessworldrecords.com
archives.tcm.ie

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Child, 3, survives 7 story fall. (moved from ATSNN)
www.guinnessworldrecords.com...

[edit on 05/5/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Her time wasnt up yet. I'm sure she had help from above.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wow, that's very interesting. It surprises me that many people regardless of their age would be able to survive a 9 story fall...and a woman of that age. That's amazing in my eyes.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A canope broke her fall. Depending on what canopy it was she could've survived an even way higher fall. She was just lucky. No devine intervention or amazement needed(about surviving a 9 story fall).

If she had a 9 story fall and landed on hard concrete like most people do, she'd be dead meat.

Heck, if I'm not mistaken, the highest fall for someone to survive was out of a plane way high in the sky, with the person landing on a snowslope.

Air hostess Vesna Vulovic, of Yugoslavia, fell 33,330 feet into a snowbound forest in Serbska Kamenice, Czechoslovakia on January 26, 1972 when the DC-9 airliner she was on exploded.

This chick didn't only survive a 33,330 feet freefall without a parachute, but she did it after getting blasted out of an exploding plane.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
One word: OW!

cue the "I've fallen and I can't get up" jokes

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
cue the "I've fallen and I can't get up" jokes

Actually I believe it would be more of "I've fallen and still can get up!"

But this is amazing...some people are lucky, or blessed either way you look at it. I'm just glad she is okay though.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There was another case where a skydiver failed to pack his chute properly, and was faced with a 30k foot (or thereabouts) freefall. He adopted the flying squirrel stance, and when he neared the ground, he tucked and rolled. He survived with broken bones and lacerations.

It happens sometimes, people get lucky, or they think their way out of nearly impossible situations. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Go grandma!

top topics

join