It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Trojan Horse Rides America Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A trojan horse is making the rounds on America Online's instant messenger. The virus resends to people on the victims buddy list and opens a back door to that computer. Virus software companies rate the threat as low.

news.com.com
A Trojan horse that targets America Online's instant messenger users continues to make the rounds, infecting machines of users who click on the hyperlink embedded in the message. Although security firms McAfee and Symantec both characterize the threat as low, the Trojan, which goes by W32/Oscarbot, Backdoor.Doyorg and Backdoor.Win32.Agent.jn, is focusing on an area that has increasingly come under attack--instant messaging.

Once a user clicks on the link, the virus will resend to people listed on the user's buddy list and open a back door allowing the attacker to send commands to the user's computer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This threat might be rated low, but viruses are like floods. If your house gets water in it, it's a big deal. Those who use AOL's instant messenger should exercise caution, especially if you want to make sure the people on your buddy list remain your buddies.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Uh, that is what firewalls, anti virus programs, so forth are for. Also, if you have friends or whatever, they should be smart enough to not take IMs from strangers to begin with.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
AOL's advertising campaign of late makes much ado about their security measures. This development is probably not setting well with the marketing department. Call me crazy, but, personally, I prefer to install my own security software, than to depend on anything that comes piggy-backed with some other service, such as Windows firewall and virus-protection.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Grady Says
AOL's advertising campaign of late makes much ado about their security measures. This development is probably not setting well with the marketing department. Call me crazy, but, personally, I prefer to install my own security software, than to depend on anything that comes piggy-backed with some other service, such as Windows firewall and virus-protection.

I agree Grady but even the very best of virus software cannot detect the very first attacks until they are aware of them. That is the reason I do not use any of those IM services, Yahoo, MSN, AIM they are all vulnerable.

Scratches head wondering how he missed this story

[edit on 5/11/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
How about Panda Softs heuristic stuff? Isn't it supposed to detect the very first attack in many/most cases?

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Use a Macintosh...no hacks...no attacks.

new topics

top topics

join