It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there such a thing as too much knowledge?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
No, there cannot be too much knowledge.

IC, why were you sitting on your bum and not out exercising? That's the point, not too many books. Get out and jog a bit!

I believe all learning is actually remembering. I believe in rebirth and reincarnation. Essentially, when you are born, you are agreeing to "the forgetting" of what heaven was. You come down here as an ignorant dope. Now, some people have a very thin membrane between this world and that world so they are able to pierce the forgetting and remember the vast amounts of knowledge which their soul had accumulated and which is usually only known to us when we are in heaven. This would explain child prodigies. How do these kids know so much at such a young age? Science cannot sufficiently explain this. Read Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation for more on this.

If I am to pay attention to karma, then I must learn the lessons of life, if you will. It is the books that I choose in this life that will demonstrate what my goals were and what sort of person I was. The path of knowledge I take is going to be reviewed in the afterlife, I believe.

Knowledge can save your life. Any mariner will tell you that one cannot ever have enough knowledge about the sea. And yet the ocean is such a simple thing, isn't it?

[edit on 12-5-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Small peeps, I believe in the same as you really, only the semantics are slightly different. Instead of seeing it as learning, I see it as remembering. Yet, the whole process of remembering, means experiencing potential.

Of, course I've come to a knowing of something, and how do I know, I have experienced it, and understood it. I know, that what I knew, is wrong. So, while I maybe trying the same question again, this time I actually know more wrong answers, so I can eliminate them. This is why they say experience is the best teacher.

Think, if you could experience all of space-time in a single moment, would you be able to handle this knowledge? Wouldn't you say that was too much knowledge? I think It would drive you insane. Your brain is not capable of dealing with all this information at once.

So, we have take it a step at a time, like the tortoise in the tortoise and hare story, and not just race ahead, because it creates the illusion of knowledge, and this only feeds our ego, that stunts our progress. That is why the hare lost.

We can't do everything at once. I am guilty of trying this of course, and I really am going to stop reading books just for knowledge and heed to the advise of the wise people in my life. Clearly, I am not as wise, as my ego would have me believe.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Please remember to pose your answer in the form of a question.

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Is there such thing as too much knowledge?

Is there such a thing as a romantic gynecologist?

You have you answer. Now empty your cup on the dirt and sweep away the water before losing it's meaning forever. Fleeting comprehension. Now gone. The parinirvanic savant knows nothing in particular with much wisdom. A collector of knowledge is paralyzed. Booger.

I believe you said much the same thing Indigo_Child, only more verbosely.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
>>If I am to pay attention to karma, then I must learn the lessons of life, if you will. It is the books that I choose in this life that will demonstrate what my goals were and what sort of person I was. The path of knowledge I take is going to be reviewed in the afterlife, I believe.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Is there such thing as too much knowledge?

Absolutely...

Did you know there is a government quota on how many rat hairs are ALLOWED to be in a hot dog?

See, don't you wish you could "unlearn" that fact?

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Yes, there is, but it is subjective and based on each individual.

There are certain things, we just don't need to know for our own personal reasons.

Gain as much knowledge as you can in things that appeal to you the individual, no one can tell you which doors to close and which boundaries to push. Also once the access to knowledge has been found, the time to access it, is completely on the individual, you can know it now or know it later, that again is an individual thing.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You have to have a mind able to with-stand large packets of information. I may know something you dont, you may know something I dont. Everyone learns something.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

and the watch they wear..

Thanks for the vote, but what does it say if I never wear a watch at all?

You are right when you say that there is not enough time to assimilate all the books out there. Even if you spent all your waking hours reading at a normal pace, you would still never really comprehend everything. I mean, it's like the Monty Python sketch where the gameshow contestants need summarize the life work of Marcel Proust in under twenty seconds. How could a person read everything and really see the layers? There are so many levels to the worlds that good writers create, I do not think it is possible to really spend enough time in all of them.

I am pretty sure that we are judged in some way after we die. Either it's Osirus weighing our heart or it's St. Peter totalling up our sins at the pearly gates of heaven. You must have a plan as to the books you will read during your life. The library you kept will show that you tried to improve yourself and to make yourself more aware.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It depends on the type of knowledge you are seeking.
But to answer your question, no I do not think there is such a thing as too much knowledge. Its basically a requirment to ascend into the next level of existence but the knowledge needs to also be balanced with spirituality.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join