It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Self replicating robots created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Scientist created several small 4 inch cubed robots with the ability to replicate themselves. A stack of 4 of these cubed 'bots were able to bend over and maneuver themselves when a new cube was placed next to them, picking up the cubes until an exact replicated stack of the original was created. Scientist hope to use this self replicating process during space flights for hazardous situations.

www.msnbc.msn.com

Scientists at the Cornell University in Ithaca, New York have created small robots that can build copies of themselves.

Each robot consists of several 4-inch (10-centimeter) cubes that have identical machinery, electromagnets to attach and detach to each other and a computer program for replication. The robots can bend and pick up and stack the cubes.

"Although the machines we have created are still simple compared with biological self-reproduction, they demonstrate that mechanical self-reproduction is possible and not unique to biology," Hod Lipson said in a report in the science journal Nature on Wednesday.

He and his team believe the design principle could be used to make long-term, self-repairing robots that could mend themselves and be used in hazardous situations and on spaceflights.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would imagine this tech would be implemented in the nano-bot field as well. The ability to replicate themselves could revolutionize several fields of industry, from medicine to architecture. The field of robotics is going to become the next great frontier of advancements in science and technology. Much more than it is now.

Related News Links:
nanotech-now.com
custer.me.jhu.edu
www.zyvex.com

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Uh oh. Now we've done it.

Cool find. Human eradication is nigh!

Zip

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Pretty cool! I wonder if they're using the old "life" algorithmn to determine when there's a missing part.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Cool! Reminds me of the robots in Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series with robots that could construct, deconstruct, and reconstruct themselves into different forms as required to handle different tasks.

If we can combine this concept with nano-technology we'll be on the verge of creating hyper-advanced synthetic "organisms", like Bishop in the Aliens series.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Here's a link from the bbC first read it and thought of the stargate replicators just wondering how far they are really off with something like that and what it could be used for?

BBc News

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Looks like we are getting closer to replication technology. It's cool and scary at the same time. Cool because it will enable a host of new products and even desktop manufacturing for the common man, Scary because it could lead to molecular weapons that are nearly undetectable.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Wow, this is really kewl.

This could come into very good uses. However, we need to make sure that those robots don't turn on us in the future and i reckon as long as we don't make them capable of self-programming, we should be fine.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It seemed liked a good idea at the time. :shk:

Replicators

Technologically advanced "bugs," Replicators are programmed by their creators with only one objective: self replication. Anything and everything that interferes with this plan of infestation, annihilation and duplication is immediately at risk.

[snip]

Replicators are composed of hundreds of individual blocks, which are comprised of whatever substance the original Replicator has consumed. It is unclear how many blocks make up a standard Replicator, but two Replicators are required to make a third, and thus exponential growth. It takes only a few blocks to replicate new blocks, and in a few hours Replicators can breed from a handful into hundreds.

There are different kinds of Replicators, depending on what the creatures require to achieve their goals. The most common is the "spider" Replicator, with four legs and wing-like flippers on its dorsal side. Another Replicator is much larger and insect-like, appearing in the general shape of a giant fly. It also has four legs, but enormous "wings" allowing it to roll on its back when it lands on the floor, then righting itself. It can also leap great distances.

A third type of Replicator is an assemblage of many thousands of Replicator blocks, which comprise a single, story-tall mother Replicator, capable of siphoning, regulating and energizing an enormous amount of power. Logically, the mother Replicator may also coordinate the activities of all other Replicators.

Replicators generally operate in groups, but it is unclear how their social structure is organized, and there seems to be no apparent means by which they transmit and receive information to and from one another. Despite this absence of information, they are very effective at cooperating with each other to achieve their objectives. If need be, Replicator blocks can simply form a "wall" to block aggressors who would impede their objectives.

[snip]

Generally, Replicators will not attack unless they are threatened. They can, in fact, clamor over and past an individual without a hint of malice; but once they are fired upon, a vengeful subroutine in the Replicator makeup emerges, and the creature becomes a serious threat. Their highly acidic "spray," used to help break down metal alloys to create new blocks, is deadly.

Enemy of All Living Things in the Universe!

Related Links:
Christianity
Islam
Republicans

Self replicating is never good.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Here is a link to the video.

*Link (removed)
(WARNING... this site also contains pictures and videos of graphic/adult content and adult language so bewared if you look through this site and are easily shocked.)

[edit on 15/5/05 by Klepto]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Klepto, you had better take that link down befor a Mod sees it. I know you gave a warning, but I didnt think I was going to be presented with a huge set of knockers when I clicked on the link.

Edited for:

Not that I mind em
ITs just the TOS and the kids Im thinking about.

[edit on 5/15/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

by: wecomeinpeace
If we can combine this concept with nano-technology we'll be on the verge of creating hyper-advanced synthetic "organisms", like Bishop in the Aliens series.

We'd also be closer to finding out if the "Grey-Goo" theory is possible. IMO humans are too careless and destructive as well as being too short-sighted in applying their scientific discoveries to even attempt such things.

Grey goo, a term coined by nanotechnology pioneer Eric Drexler, refers to a hypothetical end-of-the-world event involving nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all life on Earth while building more of themselves (a scenario known as ecophagy). It is usually used in a science fictional context. In a worst-case scenario, all of the matter in the universe could be turned into goo (with "goo" meaning a large mass of replicating nanomachines lacking large-scale structure, which may or may not actually appear goo-like), killing the universe's residents. The disaster could result from an accidental mutation in a self-replicating nanomachine used for other purposes, or possibly from a deliberate doomsday device.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
all taken off..

U2U if you want a link.

new topics

top topics

join