It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gattaca comes to pass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If anyone here hasnt seen the movie Gattaca yet, I highly recommend it, even though it doesnt have any hot sex, violence, or extreme action. The reason I recommend it is because it is likey the MOST accurate portrayal of our lack of personal privacy in the future.

In this movie, all decisions for social status, employment, ect, are made according to your genetics, and those with less than perfect genetics are relegated to a second class existence.

This is an article specifying the technology that makes this possible TODAY.

DNA extractable from fingerprints
By Charles Choi
UPI Science News
Published 7/31/2003 9:30 AM
View printer-friendly version

NEW YORK, July 31 (UPI) -- Even if the only evidence forensic analysts can pull from a crime scene is a fingerprint smudged beyond recognition, a new technique developed by Canadian scientists soon could harvest enough DNA from the print to produce a genetic identity.

The novel system can extract DNA in only 15 minutes, even if a print has been stored for a year. Scientists expect the invention to help crime-fighters solve mysteries, and already are in talks with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. In addition, researchers predict the technology could be at least twice as cheap as existing DNA collection methods.

"If you wanted to use blood as a source of DNA, you have fear of contamination, people who don't want to give it, storage issues, and you have to sign a lot of paperwork to get it," research scientist Maria Viaznikova of the Ottawa University Heart Institute in Canada told United Press International. "We can now have DNA reliably and simply with our method."

Viaznikova said her team's method consistently yields 10 billionths of a gram of DNA, on average, from a single fingerprint. The findings were revealed at the American Society for Microbiology's nanotechnology conference in New York earlier this month. Although 10 "nanograms" might not sound like much, for DNA analysis, even 0.1 nanogram is enough, Viaznikova said. "Scientists try not to use less than 5 to 10 nanograms, so this is fine."

www.upi.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Um....yeah, life would suck...boy Dragon you know how to make people cringe don't ya! Not that I'm against the DNA tech., it's just I don't really agree with where everything is leading. Although I can imagine it would be nice to pull DNA from cases that have never closed, and never will w/o this kind of research and tech. But just imagine the impications of falseifying evidence, it makes it alot easier as anyone can just snag a finger print or partial and have DNA to use as a decoy/scapegoat. Does that make sence, anything I typed? I hope so, as my head is still spinning from reading dragons input...

[Edited on 1-8-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
To effectively eliminate the statute of limitations in aging cases, New York will become the first city in the nation to make rape indictments based solely on a DNA profile, before a suspect is even identified, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Monday.

If an an individual is eventually arrested and linked to the crime by DNA evidence, the suspect will go on trial, regardless of how much time has elapsed, Bloomberg said. Under state law, indictments cannot be made in crimes more than 10 years old.

�We're going to get you,� the mayor said at the announcement at Manhattan�s Bellevue Hospital. �The Police Department and the entire criminal justice system � the district attorneys, the courts, the medical examiner, everybody � we are not going to walk away. We are going to find you and bring you to trial.�

www.ny1.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Scary stuff, So when will we be pressing our thumb on a pad only to be blacklisted for future "potientiality" for disability or disease?? Looks like everyone will be wearing gloves

top topics

join