It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about defense contracting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You know how the bigger defense companies hand over jobs for contracts that they got to smaller defense contractor companies? Well I was wondering what do the big companies acutally work on?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm not really understanding your question.

My Father was President of a Defense Company which was just one division of a larger Company of which he was the Vice President. The Company did everything from elevators to subway token thingies to military radar stuff.

Jemison

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
You know how the bigger defense companies hand over jobs for contracts that they got to smaller defense contractor companies? Well I was wondering what do the big companies acutally work on?

big companies can do many things besides military. they have parts of branches or divisions that do civilian products.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I'm not really understanding your question.

My Father was President of a Defense Company which was just one division of a larger Company of which he was the Vice President. The Company did everything from elevators to subway token thingies to military radar stuff.

Jemison

Okay here is an example Northropgrumman is the main contractor for the DDX destroyer, but lots of the equipment on the ship is being made by smaller companies which in turn give it to Northropgrumman. I'm wondering what the actual company that got the contract works on. And I know companies have different sectors I wasn't talking about that belive me I know a pretty good amount about how defense comapnies are set up.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
Okay here is an example Northropgrumman is the main contractor for the DDX destroyer, but lots of the equipment on the ship is being made by smaller companies which in turn give it to Northropgrumman. I'm wondering what the actual company that got the contract works on. And I know companies have different sectors I wasn't talking about that belive me I know a pretty good amount about how defense comapnies are set up.

It's called systems engineering. NG will subcontract out sub-systems but will retain the overall responsibility to make sure all the subsystems work together. For large scale defense acquisitions like a destroyer, that is a major, major job. The requirements imposed by the government to make sure that they get what they really want are incredibly complex. Large defense contractors like NG have folks that understand the process and know how to interface all the little things that make up the big thing.

On top of that, they have the political clout, connections, and visibility to get projects funded by Congress. Oftentimes they will "sponsor" a smaller company for a small management fee or percentage because NG believes in the technology and doesn't have the Internal Research & Development money (IR&D) to make it happen.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the info ChemicalLaser I was wondering how it all worked.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Chemical Laser has it pretty much correct. Northrop Grumman may build he hulls for these DDX destroyers but they do not build alot of the equipment that goes in side it. The must do the scheduling and ordering of the millions of pieces that go into the hulls by coordinating with all the other vendors and get it all to the assembly areas ..in the right numbers for that particulary assembly process at that time. It is a major undertaking in every aspect. All along the process quality must be maintained. Yes the very process itself is a system..per se.
In the end ..it must all work together as a system..before it passes muster for the Navy.

Thanks ,
Orangetom

top topics

join