It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'unbeliever'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

"unbeliever" is anyone who does not believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, that he came to Earth and died for all our sins, a payment that we owe God, through His shed blood on the cross. And that He rose from the dead by the power of the Holy Spirit. Someone who doesn't believe this to be true is an "unbeliever", which is accurate.

If you don't believe that to be true, well, that's what you are...

and unbeliever.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
[As I said before) I can understand christians using it on a christian site.. but why can't you just say "non christian" around people who you know just believe in other things?

They do believe.. they just don't believe in your god.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Duh, did you read my post?

When we use the term we ARE talking about people who 'don't believe in our God'.

We use the term 'unbeliever' to refer to those who don't believe in what we believe.

This seems common sense to me. If you don't believe the way we do, you are an 'unbeliever'. We don't mean that you have no beliefs whatsoever in anything.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Duh, did you read my post?

When we use the term we ARE talking about people who 'don't believe in our God'.

We use the term 'unbeliever' to refer to those who don't believe in what we believe.

Did you even read my OP? You don't just innocently use it as a label.. it's frequently used as a slur here.

This seems common sense to me. If you don't believe the way we do, you are an 'unbeliever'. We don't mean that you have no beliefs whatsoever in anything.

Then you should have no problems using the term "non christian" instead.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I'll use the term the Bible uses thank you. You sound like someone who is having conviction internally over the term.

It's an accurate term, you don't believe in the Lord as your savior. To a Christian that makes you an unbeliever.

Shall I go make a thread complaining that 'non-Christians' call us "believers"?

This thread is absurd. I mean, why do you care what us crazy Christians say and think anyways?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I was just asking christians to show respect for other faiths. I have seen you and others use "unbeliever" as a slur so the "Im just doing what the bible says" is a cop out.

btw. I'm not having trouble with my own convictions.. I have my own beliefs and I do not like them being called "non beliefs". I also feel the atmosphere in this forum to be very anti anyone who isn't christian. If christians are so "peaceful".. what would be wrong with using a that respects non christians?

[edit on 10-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

COP OUT???

You are an "unbeliever". If you want to be called a "believer", then begin to believe.

It's not a 'derogatory' word. You just don't like it. Trust me dude, we Christians only WISH we were labeled by such inoffensive words.

Again, this thread is ridiculous. To US someone who doesn't share OUR beliefs is someone who is an 'unbeliever'.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Belief is dependent on the individual.. I think they must assume all non christians are deluded.

Basically, yes. They believe that the rest of the world is deluded or deceived by Satan. In their view, the "unbelievers" are the ones worshipping false idols and gods that doesn't exist. Ergo, there's only two ways of believing: their real God or false idols. True believers vs. false idol believers.

It is interesting to see the same thing occurring in other religions, especially Islam. To Muslims, all Christians are infidels and unbelievers in Allah, even though they believe in God.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Or one can believe there is no God.

You forgot that group of folks too.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Christians have said that atheists worship the god of science and materialism. But yeah they fit the definition of true unbeliever perfectly.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It is a derogatory term when christians continually say things like

"all unbelievers will burn in hell."

If they don't want the term to be seen as a slur.. they should not use it as one. In fact I am seeing "you'll burn in hell" far too often here but baby steps.

..and calling this thread ridiculous? THAT is what I mean by anti anyone who isn't christian. It is not up to you to decide what should be discussed here and what shouldn't.. I was just asking christians to consider using the term "non christian" instead of "unbeliever" as it is more respectful to other faiths.

Should we not show respect for eachother or is that against the bible too?

[edit on 10-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Christians have said that atheists worship the god of science and materialism. But yeah they fit the definition of true unbeliever perfectly.

I wouldn't say that. When I think of "worship", I think of it as an active emotion or action. An atheist may put their faith in science or materialism subconsciously, but to worship something is a much deeper level to me IMHO than just merely having faith that something is "true".

"Worship" to me is an active and conscious action.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

That's your opinion. But do you realize there are millions of people who call themselves 'Christians', yet do not believe?

These people are unbelievers as well. Therefore, the term 'non-Christian' is not precise enough of a term.

To us, those who don't share the same beliefs, are unbelievers.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I wouldn't say that. When I think of "worship", I think of it as an active emotion or action. An atheist may put their faith in science or materialism subconsciously, but to worship something is a much deeper level to me IMHO than just merely having faith that something is "true".

"Worship" to me is an active and conscious action.

Okay, but I have "heard" some Christians say that. Just few days ago, when I brought up my belief in aliens and ufos in discussion with my christian friends, they immediately said that it was my religion and that I worship them. It was very interesting since it doesn't matter how much I explained to them it was simply my area of study, they still called it my religion.

This shows how Christians view the world. It's either us for them or against them.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

If you want proof that faith doesn't equal worship, remind them of this verse:

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." James 2:9

Devils believe in God. Devils do NOT worship God.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I could try that but one problem. They said I couldn't use the bible since I don't "believe" in it.
They have asked me where I got morals from and I said that it's like what Jesus said, "Do unto others what you want them to do to you." They said, "Hey, hey. Don't quote from the bible since you don't believe in Jesus." Sighs.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

It is a derogatory term when christians continually say things like

"all unbelievers will burn in hell."

If they don't want the term to be seen as a slur.. they should not use it as one. In fact I am seeing "you'll burn in hell" far too often here but baby steps.

You know, aside from a few rare loons, it's not very often I see someone make that statement. And I almost never see a person single out another person and use it at them (as in "You'll burn in hell").

What you say about the use of 'unbelievers' may be true (heck, it very probably IS true), but it all passes over my head, and I don't even notice it. The internet is too full of groups that don't realise that there is a world and people outside their own, who use their own jargon and terminologies, and if everyone called them out on it every time they did it (while it might improve 'internationalness'), it would REAALLY slow down the conversation.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I could try that but one problem. They said I couldn't use the bible since I don't "believe" in it.
They have asked me where I got morals from and I said that it's like what Jesus said, "Do unto others what you want them to do to you." They said, "Hey, hey. Don't quote from the bible since you don't believe in Jesus." Sighs.

Then ask them why Jesus Christ used scripture against the Pharisees. Listen my friend, if you have any questions about the Lord, the Bible, or such, u2u me. I won't turn your Qs aside. I don't think these Christians you speak of are acting in a Christ-like manner when they say these things to you.

If I can help, I'm more than happy to do so.

<< 1   >>

join