It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive situation in Yellowstone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So if something like this did happen, could it affect maybe other volcanoes or produce earthquakes maybe larger than normal?

Im not really very knowledgable towards this subject so dont expect any complicated answers

Anyway
Thanks Jonathan

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonathan
So if something like this did happen, could it affect maybe other volcanoes or produce earthquakes maybe larger than normal?

Im not really very knowledgable towards this subject so dont expect any complicated answers

Anyway
Thanks Jonathan

It's possible, yes.
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

"Fifty regional earthquakes (most M 6 and above) were followed within hours to months of unrest at nearby calderas... Twenty seven of these episodes culminated in eruptions, and three others are continuing without eruptions as yet (Rabaul, Wrangell, and Yellowstone)." Rabaul caldera in Papua New Guinea erupted in 1994.

IMO, I think it would kind of be likely, especially if the explosion is actually as large as theorized.

-B.

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Tut,

You are possibly correct, what you describe could well be the outcome... however, we just flat out dont know.

I DO know that the USGS is geared towards downplaying anything that they cannot 100% guarantee, and since there is such uncertainty with this situation, my gut feeling is that they are not being as truthful about the potential outcome as they should be.

Jonathan,

I dont think that this situation, if it ends up in an eruption, even a massive one, would "trigger" other area eruptions... indeed, it would probably serve to prevent further ones from occurring.

However, that does not mean that a massive convection flow in the mantel could trigger THIS eruption, and numerous others in the region at about the same time. In that scenario, there would be numerous eruptions, but one would not cause another.

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
ok thanks dragonrider, i was just wondering

Thanks Jonathan

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I took a tour of Yellowstone about five years ago and the park ranger mentioned that the lake was holding down the molten rock with the water pressure. He also mentioned that if the lake were to lose two feet of water...the whole caldera would blow...including most of the northwest corner of Wyoming. Just lately they have observed a gyser in the northern part of Yellowstone which has been relatively inactive for some time in the past...now is fully active...erupting on a regular basis. Now...since the heat is rising in the lake and if it keeps rising...almost surely the lake is going to lose some water...and if it loses too much water...you could pretty much count on most of the northwest states being in deep doodoo...and probably world-wide destructive effects resulting from it. Just wanted to put my two cents in since I actually have been there to see gysers in action...and a lot of Japanese with cameras...hehe.

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Like DR said no one really knows how it will go. I'll be interested to see what the subs find down there though and if they drill it

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenongod
I took a tour of Yellowstone about five years ago and the park ranger mentioned that the lake was holding down the molten rock with the water pressure. He also mentioned that if the lake were to lose two feet of water...the whole caldera would blow...including most of the northwest corner of Wyoming. Just lately they have observed a gyser in the northern part of Yellowstone which has been relatively inactive for some time in the past...now is fully active...erupting on a regular basis. Now...since the heat is rising in the lake and if it keeps rising...almost surely the lake is going to lose some water...and if it loses too much water...you could pretty much count on most of the northwest states being in deep doodoo...and probably world-wide destructive effects resulting from it. Just wanted to put my two cents in since I actually have been there to see gysers in action...and a lot of Japanese with cameras...hehe.

Thanks for the info, xenon!!
So there's a newly active gyser (geyser? how do you spell that...). Combined with the lake temp rising, that's damned interesting.
Scary, too.

So the tourists with cameras...better or worse than Disney World?

-B.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Page 3 of the Daily Record (scottish newspaper) states

MASSIVE VOLCANO UNDER YELLOWSTONE PARK READY TO EXPLODE.

Cant remember the exact wording but they went on about the 2100ft bulge and climate changes, and i dont have a copy on hand, but items like this would normally go unreported at a paper like this.

If you're wondering if thats a good thing or bad thing let me tell you that the first words written were ones explaining that yellowstone was the real name for the fictional home of Yogi bear - Jellystone -.

At least it's being reported.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

Tut,

You are possibly correct, what you describe could well be the outcome... however, we just flat out dont know.

I DO know that the USGS is geared towards downplaying anything that they cannot 100% guarantee, and since there is such uncertainty with this situation, my gut feeling is that they are not being as truthful about the potential outcome as they should be.

Sir,

Thank you for the recognition, however I do not deserve it nor will I reap it.

TUT

======================================

If the dome blows, 10-foot waves could wash the lake shore, rocks and pieces of lake floor could be tossed into the air, and "chemicals containing toxic materials" could be discharged into the lake.

"There would be lots of water," Morgan said. Not the blue serenity of the present lake surface, but roiling, spewed-out hot water.

"But we don't think this is a volcano," Morgan said last week. Still, that possibility is being considered. She said what is causing the bulge is likely either carbon dioxide gas or steam. "We're trying to put monitoring equipment on the structure to see changes over time."

"We have no evidence there's any volcanic component" to the bulging dome, she added.

www.codyenterprise.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
check out the world wide seizmic thread for a look at the yellowstone seizmic graph. it's going nuts!

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
check out the world wide seizmic thread for a look at the yellowstone seizmic graph. it's going nuts!

'scuse?
The USGS doesn't have a posted Yellowstone seismograph.
And the only seismographs going nuts ATM are Antarctica and Wake Island.
Where are you pulling this info from?

-B.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Ooops, wrong thread, sorry!

Yellowstone earthquake map

www.seis.utah.edu...

Live seismographs for Yellowstone (updated daily)

www.seis.utah.edu...

[Edited on 2-8-2003 by dragonrider]

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wowzers......
You guys seen the readings for Madison River and Mammoth Hotsprings?

Madison River is liking "rocking".....

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 03:16 AM
link   
A larger pressure system is pushing the Earth to its limit. Most likely, from Earth�s internal engine forces recently fueled by a series of strong solar flares..........................

Now here comes the hard part. While scientists tend to predict in faraway numbers like �sometime in the next thousand years,� Larry�s instruments are detecting a trend that could culminate in a cataclysmic surface event sometime within the next 18 to 24 months, and in his update, he tells us how to recognize the precursor events.

Some of these precursor events will make the news. Others will not, because while they will be observed, knowledge of the events will either be suppressed by governmental agencies for reason or another, or ignored altogether by the mainstream �corporate� media.

=====================================

Science is aware of the slowing of seismic earthquake waves (P-waves) through the earth�s crust prior to a large earthquake (where the region of slowing detected). Current theories hypothesize that intrusion of water into cracks causes the slowing of the waves. New research data from Terra Research indicate a different process � the rock becomes softer by a change in its rigidity (modulus of elasticity). This change in rigidity is from the continuous presence of gyro-scalar resonant energy in the crust.

* Scalar wave � A �mass-less� wave which propagates differently than traditional electromagnetic waves (radio waves). Scalar waves do not oscillate back and forth between magnetic and electrostatic, yet are real waves of energy. Therefore, to sense them, one requires different technology. Traditional radio wave technology will not properly sense pure Scalar waves.

* Gyro-scalar � A �precessing� emanation of scalar wave similar to a rate of wobble to spinning top.

Great energy levels ability to affect crustal rigidity may also give another surprise to mainstream science.

=======================================

Figure 1 is a recording of scalar burst within the earth�s lithosphere (recorded 7-20-03 00:15 PST). This energy is the driving mechanism to earth events. The character of this waveform is a �harmonic tremor� type of signature � or a signature that is the same type that is genesis to �silent or slow earthquakes� which science has recently become aware of. The same energy genesis drives both volcanic and silent earthquakes, with the difference being, one is pushing magma and the other is pushing the earth�s crust............................

A �super body�, which accelerates in energy levels of harmonic resonance, may saturate and change the rigidity of this buffer layer. Adding to the considerations are the tremendous pressures involved in this �super body�. The fact that persistent gyro-scalar readings have now become the norm indicates that this body is not lacking in deep earth forces or pressures. Unfortunately, just as a magma chamber from deep with stealth appeared with no warning, we may not have much traditional science sensory warning in the future...........................

complete and fascinating articles can be viewed at
www.yowusa.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Magnitude 2.8 - coda duration magnitude (Mcd)

Time Saturday, 2 August 2003 at 11:16:35PM (MDT)
Sunday, 3 August 2003 at 5:16:35 (UTC)

Location from Cedar City, UT - 21 km ( 13 miles) W (265 degrees)
from Summit, UT - 35 km ( 22 miles) WSW (244 degrees)
from Enterprise, UT - 39 km ( 24 miles) ENE ( 75 degrees)
from Parowan, UT - 46 km ( 28 miles) WSW (244 degrees)

Coordinates 37 deg. 39.7 min. N (37.662N), 113 deg. 17.6 min. W (113.293W)
Depth 0 km (0.0 miles)
Quality Fair
Parameters Nst= 11, Nph= 11, Dmin=1.9 km, Rmss=0.52 sec, Erho=1.7 km, Erzz=12.7 km, Gp=90 degrees (parameter info)

Event ID# uu08030516

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I can see it now:

"Government to construct HAARP facility at Yellowstone"

Why don't we just drop a bunker-buster and find out?

To put all this in perspective, how big was the pool of magma under Mt.St. Hellens? and how deep?

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Has anyone looked at what the other caldera around the planet are doing? I can't remember where they are but I think there was one near Italy somewhere - could be wrong though.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Yellowstone Geothermal Activity Has Scientists Concerned

Rumors are sweeping the internet that the western US is about to experience an upsurge in volcanic activity. There is very little evidence of any general increase in volcanism on the scale being claimed, but US Geological Survey geologist Lisa Morgan reports that there is a 100 foot high bulge in the bottom of Yellowstone Lake that has appeared in the past year.

Scientists believe that the bulge could result in a hydrothermal explosion, but not that it could become a volcano. The bulge is in Mary�s Bay at the north end of the lake, a site that has experienced hydrothermal explosions in the past.

Morgan and her team are studying the lake now and plan to prepare a danger assessment in the fall. The full story will appear on Unknowncountry.com August 5, 2003.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   

"We're thinking this structure could be a precursor to an hydrothermal explosive event," Morgan said last week. "But we don't think this is a volcano."

www.codyenterprise.com...

You know DR, I think Dr. Morgan should be fired!
Why?
Cause if she is working for the USGS and can make a comment such as: "But we don't think this is a volcano"...... she is flat out lying or miserably incorrect!
Her conclusion(s) are flawed and unfounded and only speak volumes of her lack of study and knowledge of Yellowstone and its geological historic past.
I have found that geological surveys have been made concluding that Yellowstone is indeed a volcano.
And not just a volcano, but a CALDERA super-volcano.
That there are 6 more world-wide just like Yellowstone....all considered super-volcanoes.
Granted it may take a 100,000+ years of so before such an eruption might or could occur, but nevertheless, she is wrong.....

I also found this graphic showing the effect a super-volcano at Yellowstone would have:
(*edit* picture was too big but can be found on the link I provide below for space.com)

And these multiple links confirming such:

www.totse.com...

www.solcomhouse.com...

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

exodus2006.com...

www.space.com...

armageddononline.tripod.com...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 5-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I cant help but wonder if this situation is being exacerbated by the transmission of gigwatts of energy for the past few years from HAARP?

You're so pessimistic. If HAARP can trigger geothermic activity, it could just as easily be used to relieve pressure and minimize the event.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join