It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. funds Syrian opposition for 'regime change' (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Reports published by The Financial Times has shown that the US will approve $50,000,000 to fund Syrian opposition groups in hopes up a reigme change in Syria.

www.aljazeera.com
---------------------
Important note: Aljazeera Publishing and Aljazeera.com are not associated with the controversial Arabic Satellite Channel known as Jazeera Space Channel TV station whose website is Aljazeera.net.

Aljazeera Publishing disassociates itself from the views, opinions and broadcasts of Jazeera Space Channel TV station.

---------------------

According to a report published Monday by The Financial Times, the U.S. Congress has approved an undeclared amount of money to financially support the Syrian opposition as part of Washington’s efforts to change the current Syrian regime.

The paper added that the U.S. is currently focusing on Iran where the U.S. Congress is about to approve $50 million to fund opposition groups.

Recently, U.S.-based Reform Party of Syria (RPS) announced opening an office in Damascus in an attempt to boost what it called ‘democracy’.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just image if the Syrian government gave $50,000,000 to American opposition groups to support a 'regime change'.

We've seen this happen in Afghanistan and it cost us two towers, there should be no reason for this to occur again. Haven't the US government learned from previous endeavours?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Pretty sweet deal. First, congress approves spending 50 mil on opposition groups and then the CIA forms the opposition groups.

Yeah, that would really be something if a government handed over 50 mil to some American college students or whatever to begin a government overthrow. I never really thought about it in reverse like that before.

Zip

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I would love to see what would happen if that $50,000,000 was donated to urban school systems, planned parenting, after school musical and art programs. But apparently funding terrorism takes a higher priority than educated Americas youth.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Important note: Aljazeera Publishing and Aljazeera.com are not associated with the controversial Arabic Satellite Channel known as Jazeera Space Channel TV station whose website is Aljazeera.net.

WTF is this?

Contraversial?

You mean Contraversial like Fox News - or what?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Simulacra just wants to dance!!

j/k

Good point, though, and that's just THIS week's 50 million. Maybe they could spend that cash on investigating pharmaceutical companies from an objective (read: not-bribed) perspective to determine if we need to make sweeping changes in drug industry laws. That could be next week's 50 mil!

Then the week after that, they could spend 50 million on alternative fuel research.

Damn, I need to be government contracted to do something war-related. I could make a mint!

Zip

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Souljah
Comparing AlJazeera to FOXnews is like comparing Mr. Rogers to...Hitler.

Although I agree FOXnews has lost some of it's integrity with blatantly bias broadcasting and news coverage, AlJazeera creates news so that the US will be demonized. It's another thing to have a political slant in your reporting, but things are a little different when you make fictious news to have an extreme political slant.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

as posted by Simulacra
But apparently funding terrorism takes a higher priority than educated Americas youth.

*scratches head*
Simulacra, please provide source(s) to back your allegations that the "opposition groups" for regime change in Syria are linked to terrorism.
I certainly hope your not thinking Hezbollah or Hamas are "opposition groups" seeking regime change in Syria.

If your point was to indicate that the US funding could have been better utilized elsewhere, then so be it, but to make unsupported allegations to further back your point is pointless.

seekerof

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It sounds like a good investment to me! I'd rather spend $50 million on fomenting an internal democratic revolution than $300+ billion and American lives on another military invasion.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Seekerof

When U.S. funding of these political opposition groups begin to diminish, they are left with:

1.) A faltered and unstable government.
2.) Not to mention millions in arms.

These militant groups begin to subdivide based on their ideals causing these groups to fight amongst each other for control of Syria. Militant warlords are created, these groups no longer being funded by the U.S. military begin to turn to 'alternative' and illegal means to obtain their funding. One group ultimately takes control over the country with Syrian people at their disposal.

Then who knows that happens next, maybe a tyrannical ethnic cleansing and occupation of Lebanon. But that already happened, maybe they'll move onto the next country. Which will ultimately involve American involvement.

And the cycle continues over again.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It worked quite well in smaller countries like:

1) Serbia
2) Georgia
3) Ukraine

But I agree it's kinda weird to imagine that Syria aproves funding of groups seeking regime change in the US. Guess what, any such group is automatically terorists and its members do a long long time in a federal penitentiary.

And then you'd think that Mr. Assad would feel quite justified if he tries really hard to crush such opposition.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by Aelita]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Aelita
This funding is completely without the approval of the Syrian government which of course is a complete sign of disrespect and provocation. They are funding a militant uprise in a country with an otherwise stable form of government. This is illegal, yet Congress will still fund these militants to fight a rebellion for them.

top topics

join