It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorola Labs Debuts Nano Emissive Flat Screen Display Prototype

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Motorola Labs, the applied research arm of Motorola, unveiled Monday a working 5-inch color video display prototype based on proprietary Carbon Nanotube (CNT) technology - a breakthrough technique that could create large, flat panel displays withsuperior quality, longer lifetimes and lower costs than current offerings.

Optimized for a large screen High Definition Television (HDTV) that is less than 1-inch thick, this first-of-its kind NED 5-inch prototype harnesses the power of CNTs to fundamentally change the design and fabrication of flat panel displays.

"And according to a detailed cost model analysis conducted by our firm, we estimate the manufactured cost for a 40-inch NED panel could be under $400."

I think the biggest impact this product will have on the market is the fact that their so cheap! a 40inch for under $400!? Every home could afford one of these babies. Give it 5 or so years for the tech to develop and mature and these screens will be on the market.

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Damn right, nice find rufi0o, quite interested in HDTV myself but at the moment the LCD/Plasma/Other Tvs are way to expensive for a decent sized screen and its been that way for awhile. Now if this came on the market 40" screen HDTV costing around £600 i'd be more than happy to purchase.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
damn straight, they quoted it as a 40inch being worth about $400 so that would be around £214! So this is definatly something to look forward to, i wont be getting a plasma or lcd now, as this new screen out performs them and is WAY cheaper.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Its just like any technology. It will be expensive when it comes out then that model will become obsolete and another more expensive one will come. Exactly like the computer race. Something 5 years ago that was 1-2g would be like $200-$300. No matter what if you keep saying "i'll wait until the cheap one comes out" you'll probably be waiting indefinatly for the better one to become cheap.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Still, an excellent find. I'll definately be looking out for these. I can't say my TV is 'top of the line', or anything near it for that matter..

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I disagree that it's going to be that expensive when it comes out. I will be cost competitive with the incumbents at the start(and those prices are falling fast as well), in my experience when a Nano product is released it is usually comparable in cost or much cheaper because they use far less materials and labour to assemble the products. For one thing people may assume it will be expensive because of the CNT content, but the amount of CNT's they use costs around 50-60 bucks per unit. Not even a gram(which costs hundreds of dollars right now)

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I believe there refering to how much it will sost them to build one...and obviously if they sold it at that price they wouldn't make a dime...So When they come out several years down the road they will probably be around $1000 for the ugly ones, and well above that for good looking ones.

I agree with TheJeSta, there will always be something better, but if you always focus on the future, you ignore the present.

top topics

join