It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marburg outbreak now devastating all age groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
"The outbreak of the deadly Marburg haemorrhagic fever sweeping across northern Angola is now devastating all age groups - and no longer predominantly young children - say epidemiologists on the ground.

The rare but deadly virus has been rampaging through the Angolan province of Uige since March 2005, leading to the worst outbreak yet known. In the early weeks of the outbreak, the virus mysteriously appeared to be striking down mainly children under five. Before this happened, cases in children were considered extremely rare."

www.newscientist.com...

This is a pandemic of epic proportions but seems to be reported in slow motion. If this virus breaks out of the region this could be like the old movie "satan bug", only the good guys don't stop Dr evil. No happy ending "hollywood" style, just mega-death worldwide.....

Here are some additional links

www.who.int...

www.cdc.gov...

www.epicentre.msf.org...

www.ifrc.org...

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I find Marburg and Ebola to be quite scary. I believe its only a matter of time before an outbreak(not necessarily this one), is spread beyond a small area. I also don't like how news stories about this always seem like an afterthought in the media. To me its really quite important, for the unfortunate communities it is in, and for the potential it may expand.
I don't know..maybe the book The Stand just made too much of an impression.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by frogs453
I find Marburg and Ebola to be quite scary. I believe its only a matter of time before an outbreak(not necessarily this one), is spread beyond a small area. I also don't like how news stories about this always seem like an afterthought in the media. To me its really quite important, for the unfortunate communities it is in, and for the potential it may expand.
I don't know..maybe the book The Stand just made too much of an impression.

Until there is a Marburg outbreak inside the "beltway" in DC or in Manhatten the "media" will still be talking about the "runaway-bride" nonsense instead of doing their job of informing the public of real issues.

The only reason the media paid attantion to the anthrax scare after 911 was the attacks on media..............

new topics

join