It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nova Roma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Dedicated to the restoration of classical Roman religion, culture and virtues [...]
Founded 2,750 years after the Eternal City itself, NOVA ROMA seeks to bring back those golden times. But where our ancestors imposed their will through the sword and the legions, we intend the same result through the spread of knowledge and through our own virtuous example.

Members even take on the latin trinomen upon joining, and membership is broken up into interconnected segements. Some groupings within it are functional, others are purely esoteric in nature, such as the Gens, Familia, Preists, Senatores, etc.

They also engage in what is sometimes called "applied archaeology", ie designing and rebuilding stuff from back then, drilling as they did, and putting the technology to use. They advocate the worship of the old gods, Jupiter, lord of the gods, Mars, the god of the fields and the wars that take place on them, and, literally, the rest of the pantheon.

They, as the republic, are not headed by a single man, but rather a series of offices that one continues on thru. At the top are arguably 4 offices, dual censors, dual consuls, notablly, they're all senatores.

The Censors:

Gnaeus Equitius Marinus

Caeso Fabius Buteo Quintilianus

The Consuls:

Franciscus Apulus Caesar

Gaius Popillius Laenas

Tho I notice that they also have a number of Tribunes for the Pleblians.

We are nothing less than a sovereign nation

-Novae Romae

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Does'nt one of our members belong to Nova Roma? sparticus something, I think. How is this a secret society?
Its not really secret, and its more of a nation than a scociety.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I think I speak for a lot of people on here....elaborate. Definitely a first for me.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Who didn't want to form a club when they were a kid.

Some people didn't grow out of keeping secrets and playing only with each other, I guess.

Though I never modelled my dream tree club society after a culture that was very comfortable with child sex, as well as sex for pleasure between its members (all male or not).

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Wow, just had to comment, ATS just got an overhaul. Very cool

Now then, hey I think this is interesting. Any more info on them? As a sovereign nation, do they preside in Italy? If not, where?

-wD

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Though I never modelled my dream tree club society after a culture that was very comfortable with child sex, as well as sex for pleasure between its members (all male or not).

So sad your culture has developed backwards since there reign.

Now then, hey I think this is interesting. Any more info on them? As a sovereign nation, do they preside in Italy? If not, where?

Well, they are a micro-nation, so they probably dont have any land.

You can learn more at the Nova Roma site.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
How is this a secret society?

I think that their goal of re-surecting an ancient republic and advancing esoteric knowledge and re-organizing the modern mind is good enough. The mason's aren't really a secret society, and the bilderbergers aren't even a society. It falls into the genre, imo. Also, the mystery religions are, by definition, secret.

There are at least a few ATSers that are part of this group (i'm not one, btw).

WeBDeviL
As a sovereign nation, do they preside in Italy?

Here is their Declaration of independence.

We acknowledge ancient Roman territory to be our cultural and religious homeland, and claim historical rights to all sites and territories which were under the direct control or administration of the ancient Roman Republic and Empire between 753 BCE and 395 CE.

That means, at a minimum, all that is red here

I beleive the Empire also laid claim to islands in the atlantic coast, such as ibiza and whatnot.

Further, in order that our world presence may be established, Nova Roma claims our physical territory to be extant and manifest through those places that our State, Citizens, and religious organizations may physically own, occupy, and maintain throughout the world. These territories shall exist in a status of Dual Sovereignity, being under the cultural and spiritual administration of Nova Roma, even as they remain under the civil dominion and laws of other hosting nations

The interesting thing is that, organizations like the UN and EU might start to recognize these micro-nations, of which there are many. This would be a first step in moving torwards resurrection of the physical republic.

Here is an interesting bit where they claim territory for particular occasions

Nova Roma also claims temporary Dual Sovereignity over all other sites where the Gods and Goddesses of ancient Rome shall be worshipped by our Citizens, to preserve our cultural and spiritual unity. This dual sovereignity shall be administered by the People directly and shall last only for the duration of religious ceremonies and rites.

This is worded such that I can see other nations actually agreeing to it, since its for very limited time periods and for specific religious sites. Also, it seems to be in keeping with the ancient traditions, of the mystery cults and such. in that certain things have political realities only because of the religion, and that these religious obligations have the force of law for the length of the festival.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I've been a member of Nova Roma for quite some time and would be more than happy to see our government move in the direction of the old Roman republic and be based more on that conservative value system.

Spend some time on the site. The level of detail (I'm not talking about the pictures here) is quite amazing.

[edit on 5/11/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
I've been a member of Nova Roma for quite some time and would be more than happy to see our government move in the direction of the old Roman republic and be based more on that conservative value system.

Oh yeah, just what we need. A system of patricians and plebians where you're born into your station. A system where only men have the power, and slavery is rampant. Oh, and how could I forget Cruxifiction for petty crimes. Yep....sounds conservative all right.

Just because the Romans had cool looking clothes, armor, and architechture doesn't mean their system needs to be brought back. They are fascinating to study, but I'm not sure a new Roman Republic would be a good thing. Or will we pick and choose what parts of Roman civilzation to emulate?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Sometimes, a useless post is made after yours.

Exactly, are we going to pick and choose which parts of their culture to emulate? And if we are taking it, all or nothing then:

Who didn't want to form a club when they were a kid.

Some people didn't grow out of keeping secrets and playing only with each other, I guess.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Or will we pick and choose what parts of Roman civilzation to emulate?

No past, present, or future society is or will be perfect. It's easy to throw stones, but I think what you should do is compare the societies in their historical perspective, not against those of other times. Compare Rome to what was going on around it, and the picture is quite different than what you presented.

As long as we are just 'dreaming', yes, I would hope we would learn from past mistakes and choose the best parts of the old Roman republic to bring back to life.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So you honestly have ressurected the Greco/Roman Religious Pantheon? Not throwing stones here, but how do you justify worshipping this extinct (well, apparently not) pantheon of Gods?

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
How do the wiccans justify it?

How do the kabbalaists justify reviving kabbala?

Not all the novae romae, apparently, are pagans tho. I suspect Metellus over here is not a pagan.

edit:
check out the asatru, Norse Heathenism

[edit on 12-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I suspect Metellus over here is not a pagan.

No, I'm hardly a pagan. Please note, that the Roman Republic and Empire was over it's history quite tolerant of other religions (after it got to know them) and many from different parts of the Empire had temples established in Rome. Christianity was somewhat different in that a Roman hearing the teachings would at first consider them a challenge to the government more than a religion.

One of my favorite pages from the Nova Roma website is this page:

Nova Roma

Which I think shows the source of the strength that allowed Rome to grow from a simple city to master of the then-known world.

Note: see also the Via Romana page for more information. This is what I meant when I mentioned "conservative" in an earlier post.

[edit on 5/12/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well Wiccan has existed "underground" for a loooooong time, its present form yes is very different as most Wiccans tend to follow Gardernian Wicca. In the case of the Quabbalah, I don't know very much about it but I can't imagine it died out the way Greco/Roman did, I'm sure it survived in one form or another over the years. I just find it fascinating that for all intents and purposes the Greco/Roman Pantheon hasn't really existed for well over a millenia, and now it's resurfaced.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Don't forget Baph, that the religion of the greeks and romans invovled the "bullfinche's mythology' type stuff and the 'Mystery Cult" type stuff also.

top topics

join