It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anarchists Attack Athens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I agree, the quote of yours I used is something I do agree with. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

As for the story, I suppose the latest is the best to discuss, but they are one and the same groups of people, so maybe the best topic would be the general political scene in Greece that allows the situation to develop?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Perhaps the OP would like to steer the discussion since he's the one who resurrected this thread?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave

I realize we've got two different stories of Greeks rioting going on here (2005 and recent) so maybe we can pick one or the other to discuss?

Actually, there were three different incidents, as I've bumped it twice over the years. Anyway, these incidents are obviously related. And these battles between the (self-described) anarchists and the police/politicians/authorities have been going on for a very long time. It didn't start with the story in the OP. So I guess the topic in general is not the separate incidents by themselves, but as the title says: "Anarchists Attack Athens". Anything related to this. What are the Anarchists goals/mission? What are the authorities' goals/mission? Are there any possible solutions, and in that case what might be the solution?

Btw, I can see some similarities between these riots/clashes in Greece and the clashes/riots in Copenhagen Denmark. The riots in Copenhagen, Denmark were also between leftists/anarchists and police/authorities. And they also used websites to urge supportes to come and fight for their cause.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yes Stumason, I read the article. I even read the whole thing.

It was from the article that I formed my questions to begin with.

Not too mention I quoted from the article myself in the post you replied to

In the article there are no quotes from the 'anarchists' themselves. Only the conjecture of the journalist who authored it, stating the rioters were anarchists. It mentions "leftist groups" and a website. The article does not give details as to the organization they may belong to, or the nature of this website. It describes a protest that escalated into rioting.

You and Hellmut are saying they are 'self-described' anarchists. I am going to have to conclude that you guys are privy to information I am not, since the article does not suggest this in of itself. (the old video and article links are now defunct)

So what do you know about this that I wasn't able to collect from this recent article, and how does it justify them being called anarchists?

My obvious concern is that the term 'anarchist' is being used synonymously with 'mayhem' and 'rioters'. If they are calling themselves anarchists then I fully understand why the journalist is (although self-describing yourself something doesn't necessarily make you that thing). So how do you know they are self-described as such? And what do you know about this website? And what do you know about this "leftist-group"?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I know that many (but not all) of the activists/rioters in Denmark like to call themselves anarchists, and they're proud of it. But like you also said, it doesn't mean that they're really anarchists, even if they may believe so themselves. Anyway, some think "anarchist" is a negative word, while others think it's a positive word. An "anarchist" is not the same as a "terrorist", even though some may use the word as if it means the same thing.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The riots won't stop...

Riots 'turn Athens into a war zone' - 14 Dec 08

A week after a 15 year-old-boy was shot dead by police the streets of Athens, the capital of Greece, remain full of fury.

A candle-lit vigil has ended with more rioting and the firebombing of a police station.

Barnaby Philips reports.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
There are no indications of the protests ending any time soon. The killing of Alexandros Grigoropoulos has triggered something that looks like a revolution, and it's spreading...

NTDTV: Riots Erupt Again in Athens

Greek Democracy's Worst Enemy ?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Those who call themselves Anarchists are generally violent and work in groups. That changes the original meaning of the word. Calling an Anarchist a Terrorist would seem to be a fairly good description in the modern sense.

They want no authorities or rules and yet they use force to force others to their point of view. The Anarchists of modern times are probably among the most hypocritical group on the planet.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here's a video with pictures from Athens, December 2008

Chaos and Anarchy Athens 2008

Chaos and Anarchy IN ATHENS CITY December 2008

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Riots in Athens again.

Greek police clash with anarchists after student march (2nd Roundup)

Nov 18, 2009

Greek riot police clashed with hundreds of youths Tuesday after a student march through Athens to commemorate the 1973 uprising against the military dictatorship turned violent.

Police fired tear gas to disperse the more than 1,200 anarchist youths who trailed the march and attacked officers with stones and homemade firebombs, set garbage cans ablaze and destroyed vehicles in the centre of the capital.

[---]

Dozens of students are reported to have died when tanks crushed the 1973 pro-democracy uprising in front of the Polytechnic University.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
New riots are planned. The Police arrested at least 100 "anarchists" on Saturday. Anarchists from other European countries are planning to join the protests according to reports.

Arrests mark Greek riot anniversary

December 06, 2009

Greek police have arrested at least 100 youths in Athens, the capital, on the eve of planned demonstrations to mark a teenager's killing by police

[---]

Several protests are set to take place across Greece on Sunday to mark the anniversary of the shooting.

[---]

Greece's government has deployed at least 6,000 police onto the streets of Athens to avert a repeat of the severe rioting that hit the capital and major cities last year

[---]

Fears of violence have been heightened by reports that groups of anarchists from other European countries are planning to join the protests in Athens.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Riots have broken out in Athens and Thessaloniki. Police are using tear gas on several fronts. Anarchists are throwing molotov coctails at the police.

Photo: Dimitri Messinis

Radio Netherlands: Riots erupt in Athens

6 December 2009

Riots have broken out in the Greek capital Athens, and in the northern city of Thessaloniki

Times Online: Violence flares in Athens on anniversary of teenager's death

BBC: Clashes erupt as Athens marks anniversary of death

Al Jazeera: Violence erupts during Athens march

Bloomberg: Greek Police Use Teargas on Athens Protesters After March

Xinhua: Anarchists clash with Greek police on first anniversary of shooting tragedy

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Athens, Sunday, 6 December 2009.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I guess this is happening because of the economical situation. Greece was deeply affected during this recession, actually it is the worst in the Euro-Zone. If the economy was better people would rather stay home , eat chips and watch TV..

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Video from Athens, May 5th 2010. And the latest news from Greece is that it is escalating.

"MAY 05th Greece Athens Massive Riots GRANDES DISTURBIOS EN ATENAS"

Protesters hurl bombs at Greek bank

Three people, one of them a pregnant woman, were killed when Greeks protesting against government austerity measures threw petrol bombs at a bank in Athens on Wednesday

Greek debt crisis: death and destruction in Athens

Everyone's furious with Greece over its debt – even its own people. What went so wrong? A report from the teargas-drenched streets of Athens

Greece stands 'on edge of abyss' as concern grows over protests

Greece stood on the "edge of the abyss" last night, President Carolos Papoulias warned, as concern grew that a day of deadly protests against brutal budget cuts and tax hikes could undermine the government's resolve to push on with a costly financial rescue package intended to prevent a debt default that could ripple through Europe.

New protests as Greece approves austerity bill

Protesters and riot police have been doing battle in Greece's capital again after lawmakers approved drastic austerity cuts needed to secure international rescue loans.

The loans are worth $140 billion and should keep Greece from defaulting on debt payments due this month

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
"Greece Will Be a War Zone"

Anarchists warns tourists to stay away from Greece.

Greece will be a war zone, Sect of Revolutionaries warns tourists

"Greece has entered a new phase of political violence by anarchist-oriented organisations that are more murderous, dangerous, capable and nihilistic than ever before," said Athanasios Drougos, a defence and counter-terrorism analyst in Athens.

"We intend to turn it into a war zone of revolutionary activity with arson, sabotage, violent demonstrations, bombings and assassinations, and not a country that is a destination for holidays and pleasure."

In an accompanying picture, the group displayed an arsenal that included AK 47 assault rifles, semi-automatic pistols and brass knuckledusters.

"Our guns are full and they are ready to speak," it said. "We are at war with your democracy."

Security officials say it is only a matter of time before one of the three groups currently active in Greece strikes again.

More worrying, they say, are their connections to the Balkan criminal underworld that has made access to weapons dangerously easy.

There's a new thread here:
Greece will be a war zone, Sect of Revolutionaries warns tourists

top topics

<< 1   >>

join