It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH:CT Scans Show What King Tut Looked Like

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The photo below of King Tutankhamun is the result of three teams of forensic scientists and artists working with information gathered from CT scans taken of the boy king's mummy. The three teams, one French, one Egyptian, and one American, each came up with similar renderings even though the Egyptian team worked from CT scans, while the French and American teams worked from plastic skulls. Although the American team did not have any information about the skull, they correctly identified it as that of a Caucasian North African.

abcnews.go.com

The first facial reconstructions of King Tutankhamun based on CT scans of his mummy have produced images strikingly similar to the boy pharaoh's ancient portraits, with one model showing a baby-faced young man with chubby cheeks and his family's characteristic overbite.

That model, a photo of which was released Tuesday, bears a strong resemblance to the gold mask of King Tut found in his tomb in 1922 by the British excavation led by Howard Carter.

The beardless youth depicted in the model, created by a French team, has soft features, a sloping nose and a weak chin and the overbite, which archaeologists have long believed was a trait shared by other kings in Tut's 18th dynasty. His eyes are highlighted by thick eyeliner.

Three teams of forensic artists and scientists from France, the United States and Egypt each built a model of the boy pharaoh's face based on some 1,700 high-resolution photos from CT scans of his mummy to reveal what he looked like the day he died nearly 3,300 years ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This was a very interesting experiment, revealing much about the state of forensic science. It is interesting to see with some certitude what this individual actually looked like. One can only imagine the kind of personality he would have had, coming to power at the tender age of nine, as he did. The CT scans seem to point to a fractured femur as the ultimate cause of his death, even though other researchers have doubted that the fracture alone was life threatening.

Related News Links:
www.miami.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Archaeologists Uncover Bead-Covered Mummy
King Tut Murdered?

[edit on 05/5/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Well, turns out ge looks like the average Joe!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yeah, I guess we are supposed to believe the CT scans picked up on the long eye lashes and make up.

What a crock!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Qwas did you read the article? It clearly states forensic artists also assited in this rendition using CT scans as a guide. They do this all the time in murder cases where the body is badly decomposed, as to how accurate it is. All one has to do is compare this with some actual likenesses of said person(in this case it would be Tut's Mask)

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Qwas did you read the article? It clearly states forensic artists also assited in this rendition using CT scans as a guide. They do this all the time in murder cases where the body is badly decomposed, as to how accurate it is. All one has to do is compare this with some actual likenesses of said person(in this case it would be Tut's Mask)

Yes, I did read the link. I assumed (wrongly?) that the CT scan was to prove something. If they had drawn Bugs Bunny on the tomb, would we see giant ears on King Tut? I thought this science was to give us a real picture, not part science and part science fiction.

Why spend all this money if all you are going to do is repeat a picture on the tomb?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
*sigh* You obvously have no idea on how criminal investigations work these days. They are merely using the same techniques, nothing Sci-Fi about it. There is always some subjective elements to experiments of this nature as only partial information is present. Science is about aquiring knowledge no matter how useless & wastefull it may seem to some people. It's not as if these scientists are qualified to do much else except solve crimes, its good that they get something a little less serous to work on now and again. As Grady Said it's a good test of thier skills.

[edit on 11-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
interesting i would love now what secrets he must of known when he was alive

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
*sigh* You obvously have no idea on how criminal investigations work these days. They are merely using the same techniques, nothing Sci-Fi about it. There is always some subjective elements to experiments of this nature as only partial information is present. Science is about aquiring knowledge no matter how useless & wastefull it may seem to some people. It's not as if these scientists are qualified to do much else except solve crimes, its good that they get something a little less serous to work on now and again. As Grady Said it's a good test of thier skills.

[edit on 11-5-2005 by sardion2000]

So you agree, if Bugs Bunny was drawn on his tomb, we would have a picture of him with big ears. What does that prove? And why waste money if all you're going to do is print a picture of what we've already seen drawn a tomb???

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
[quote
So you agree, if Bugs Bunny was drawn on his tomb, we would have a picture of him with big ears. What does that prove? And why waste money if all you're going to do is print a picture of what we've already seen drawn a tomb???

Well...How do you know if the picture on the tomb is real? If with the CT scan, they can reconstruct his face, and you find out that it is actually quite similar than some drawings, then, you can say that it must be some kind of proof that the job you've done on the reconstruction of the face was right. Else, you would never know...A picture on a tomb proves nothing...He might have looked completely different than the drawing...

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by riouxda
[quote

Well...How do you know if the picture on the tomb is real? If with the CT scan, they can reconstruct his face, and you find out that it is actually quite similar than some drawings, then, you can say that it must be some kind of proof that the job you've done on the reconstruction of the face was right. Else, you would never know...A picture on a tomb proves nothing...He might have looked completely different than the drawing...

To be fair, many pictures of various pharoahs look remarkably similar, due to the artistic style of the era.

I don't know what is there to argue about. I think it's a solid piece of work.

Thanks to Grady for an interesting post!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well that is amazing picture reconstruction.

I don't think it looks like the average Joe at all, he looks unique, elfin kind or that is the way the image came out to look like.

I think is some exotic look also on the face composition angular features.

He was quite a good looking guy.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see if all scholars agree with their findings, or if there are differing opinions.

Personally, I don't think this image looks so very like the gold mask we normally see from Tut's tomb, even if these experts seem to think so:

That model, a photo of which was released Tuesday, bears a strong resemblance to the gold mask of King Tut found in his tomb in 1922 by the British excavation led by Howard Carter.

If Tut died unexpectedly, maybe they had to "borrow" a funeral mask that was meant for someone else?

( while I am not a forensic artist, I am a portrait artist...and to me there's too much diff from the mask.)

[edit on 11-5-2005 by frayed1]

[edit on 11-5-2005 by frayed1]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I swear I've seen that person in the picture somewhere before.... It's killing me. He's so familiar... Is it just me or what?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qwas
Yeah, I guess we are supposed to believe the CT scans picked up on the long eye lashes and make up.

You do realize that there are other sources of information that can all be used at the same time, right?

Why spend all this money if all you are going to do is repeat a picture on the tomb?

Because tis not a repeat. They're using the computerized image of the skull and nasal cavaties and attachment sites for muscles and flesh to creat it. The eye make-up was something that the egyptians used. The skin colour is an estimate. Obviously they can't have concrete data about these things.

Any restoration is allways part fiction.

So you agree, if Bugs Bunny was drawn on his tomb, we would have a picture of him with big ears

No, because the CT scan would reveal that such a thing is incompatible with the osteological information.

And why waste money if all you're going to do is print a picture of what we've already seen drawn a tomb???

The people paying for it obviously didn't think it was a waste of money.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Aha! so Egyptian kings were metrosexuals!

At least they didn't give him long hair, a beard, and sandals

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
....is it just me or does this look like a young Barbara Streisand?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
He looks a little like Mom

TutsMom

This method of reconstruction has proven to be fairly accurate.
As a matter of fact, A similar process was done on a mummy, that is belived to be tuts mom..A team was assigned to do this without knowing WHO
this mummy might be. The result looked VERY similar to the well known bust of Tuts mother (which can be seen on my link).

Very interesting story Grady..

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My wife informed me this am that Betty Pat Garliff did a Reconstruction of Tut in 1983 commissioned by a Florida surgeon.

I only bring this up because my wife's interest in these things and she can reconstruct also. Taught by Betty Pat.

Get the "Forensic Art and Illustration" book by Karen T. Taylor, page 466.

Roper

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Actually her name is Betty Pat. Gatliff.

[edit on 05/5/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Didn't say I could type.
Yeah that's her.

top topics

join