It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm just curious about this but how many of you knew anything about Islam before September 11, 2001.

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I still know very little about Islam. I harbour no negative or positive feelings about it. I realise that some individuals (those who carried out the attacks) were of the Islamic faith, but I do not believe it was their faith that influenced them to carry out the attacks.

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A friend of mine converted about 6 years ago and gave me a book to read that covers the basics. Not alot of heavy theology. I read it back then and then took a World Religions class, my senior year in college and we went into a little more detail about theolgy. So I can discuss it a little but not debate it.

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Here in Europe we have many islamic immigrants. There are special programs (on TV) for them which have dutch subtitles, so I otfen view it. It helps you to better understand them, and to learn a bit more about their culture.
The problem with the US is, is that the media is very focused on national news, rather that foreign affairs. I saw a documenty on the 9/11 attack just a few days ago, and they mentioned that 70% of the american population still doesn't know why they were attacked.
Many still think they attacked out of jealousy, because the US is so wealthy.

It's too bad the mainsteam media doesn't explains the situation of the islamic culture, and the way the position of the US in the rest of the world. That's why they were attacked in the first place...

[Edited on 31-7-2003 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I am not particularly religious, although I dont hold any animosity towards any religion. I am always interested in learning more about all cultures and religions.

Guess it sort of falls into the category of never had time to check it out...

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
from 1981-1984...so I knew a bit about it way before 9/11....

Of course, when I came back to the states in 1984...nobody had a clue where Saudi Arabia was, hehe....
"Saudia-what?"

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I have read parts of the Koran and have muslim friends and workmates that I associate with and have debate with in a civil manner. I have one friend, Mohamed, a Somali computer science major, who I engage in serious back and forth on the differences and likes between Islam and christianity without shouting at each other!

Zion, I think you underestimate the people and overestimate the power of telivision in America...

..besides, it is the media (et al) that constantly bombards us with the reason why 3000 innocent civilians at the WTC were murdered. Politics of hatred. A group of radicals wants to change the politics of their home nations- how do they further this? By blowing up the Pentagon, WTC and attempting to destroy the Whitehouse.....now that would have helped, since such an event would probably started a nuclear war in that region instead of the limited war we just had.

[Edited on 31-7-2003 by Tyriffic]

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The problem with the US is, is that the media is very focused on national news, rather that foreign affairs. I saw a documenty on the 9/11 attack just a few days ago, and they mentioned that 70% of the american population still doesn't know why they were attacked.
Many still think they attacked out of jealousy, because the US is so wealthy.

No, the problem with the US media, is that the only arabs we ever see on TV are terrorists. So, the general public automatically equates arabs with terrorists. There is NO effort to educate the mainstream on Islam, and the average arab (cable education channels don't count, as how many "average" Americans watch them?). Had I not lived with them, and/or work with some now...I would believe the same thing...

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

No, the problem with the US media, is that the only arabs we ever see on TV are terrorists. So, the general public automatically equates arabs with terrorists.

That is also what I meant, the media is focused on the wrong thing. But also, most americans don't really give a damn what's going on in Saudi-Arabia, afghanistan and countries like that...

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I don't know much about Islam, but what I knew I knew it way before 9/11, I haven't really learned anything new since then. Maybe except the sad fact that people can build blind hate if being fed enough BS by the media.

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 04:41 PM
link   
My cousins are from Oman. They informed of their culture and religon.

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have several associates with varying ties to Islamic faith, including a former leader converted to Christianity. We converse regularly.

I have dipped in and out of the Qu'ran on many occasions.

I am not of the Islamic faith, or any particular denomination that I know of. I found the Religion Quiz interesting a few days ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
From what I've heard and read about Islam so far, it's a religion that I don't really like at all, and I think it's a bunch of #. I know some of are you are going to say I'm wrong, but this is all I know of Islam, I haven't really heard of any good points of Islam, so feel free to prove me wrong about it being a bunch of #, because I would like to see some good things about it.....

top topics

join